You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

But that's the point. Words like imbecile and moron and cretin are also insults derived from disability. The difference is that they've been used as generic insults for such a long time that they're not normally associated with their original meanings any more. Because language evolves.

I think context is everything, isn't it.

Come on Strontz you go nuclear over a neg. 

17 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

But that's the point. Words like imbecile and moron and cretin are also insults derived from disability. The difference is that they've been used as generic insults for such a long time that they're not normally associated with their original meanings any more. Because language evolves.

Just like ‘berk’ is not an insult you’d get upset over. But it’s rhyming slang, ‘Berkley Hunt’. 

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I agree context is everything but I'd have no problem using the words imbecile idiot or moron in the company of somebody with disabilities or someone close to a person with disabilities there is no way I'd use spaz or mong.

I agree with your point on here, I say offensive shit within reason knowing the basic boundaries of the site but if somebody asked me not too i would stop if its a reasonable request. Theres an often sick or dark humour on the site, I think the place is better for it.

Whats this thread about again.

Had to bury my Grandma yesterday. She was getting on (88) but if it wasn't for Covid she'd almost certainly still be here as she'd settled into a nice little life, so it's absolutely gutting. Still not sure how she contracted it but it's moot now I suppose. She'd actually had her first jab before Christmas but it still knocked seven bells out of her and her body just couldn't cope.

It was also cruel not being able to have a wake, obviously many people have been in the same boat over the past year.

I'm just back in work after 6 weeks off with post-Covid trouble. Have to queue outside my kids school surrounded by cunts who don't bother to wear masks. Fucking bell ends. No fucking shame, any of them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 19

Just now, johnsusername said:

Had to bury my Grandma yesterday. She was getting on (88) but if it wasn't for Covid she'd almost certainly still be here as she'd settled into a nice little life, so it's absolutely gutting. Still not sure how she contracted it but it's moot now I suppose. She'd actually had her first jab before Christmas but it still knocked seven bells out of her and her body just couldn't cope.

It was also cruel not being able to have a wake, obviously many people have been in the same boat over the past year.

I'm just back in work after 6 weeks off with post-Covid trouble. Have to queue outside my kids school surrounded by cunts who don't bother to wear masks. Fucking bell ends. No fucking shame, any of them.

Thoughts with you mate. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Sorry for your loss mate, awful news.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, belarus said:

Well I fucking never! Is that true? 

I know loads of cockney rhyming slang and never heard of that. But indeed it is.

On 11/03/2021 at 13:55, Elite said:

Promoting the jab for the Asian community is the only answer.

The BBC today highlighted conversations between Van-Tam and some of the England cricket team, notably Chris Jordan, so I think they're definitely trying to get high profile people from the BAME community to try and push the vaccine.

Which is good, obviously.

On 11/03/2021 at 19:53, johnsusername said:

Heartbreaking, mate. Thinking of you and your family.

• Upvote 1

Been in a class with 27. Having to tell parents to stand 2m away from me when they pick their kids up with no masks. Classes and bubbles mingling metres outside the school gates after a day of huge effort and organisation keeping them apart and safe. Missus had been in classrooms with over 120 kids a day between 13 and 18 years old. No sign of a vaccine for either of us. Terrifying. 

The non-prioritisation of teachers is just absolutely ridiculous, petty and vindictive- par for the course for these arseholes.

I had my AZ shot yesterday, the patriotic People's Vaccine, not that elitist foreign muck. The nurse who gave it me was fit as fuck, I got ushered into the booth with her standing there and thought I'd accidentally gone into some lap dance club or something. I was halfway to my wallet to slap a couple of twenties down before I checked myself.

No reaction so far, I thought I was going to have a dead arm, but even that's gone away.