You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

19 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:
15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Apologies , yes ,the jab

I'm keen to get online to book mine too but my age group still not able to book. 

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Honestly this took me about five minutes to find just by searching for what you’ve said with the word ‘herd’ or ‘lockdowns’ in it and I didn’t even look at all the results. 

Ta mate, I'm a bit crap at using the search .... Here's a couple about the virus burning out too. But I know there's more because I've discussed it with him more than once! I think these exchanges are with stig, so maybe he was using a phrase slightly different to burning out. He's been on this bandwagon of believing the conspiracy theories since the outset. 

On 15/06/2020 at 13:08, Spy Bee said:

I actually suspect that in the open air the risk is greatly reduced, but at the afore mentioned events a lot of people would be under the concourse and in pubs around the area. That can't happen right now, which to some degree addresses my point above... however, I would have expected to see an increase in infections unless the virus is burning out.

On 26/05/2020 at 17:14, Spy Bee said:

London is getting a couple of hundred infections per week now. That's hard to explain away if we haven't stumbled to some kind of herd immunity or if the virus is not burning out in some other way.

• Upvote 1

Let's work through the claims

but it can mean they are more contagious. so you can't just dismiss it - which i know is your style, if you hear anything you don't like, you just ignore it. you've been doing it for 12 months - you've been telling us since the start lockdowns don't work and the virus just naturally dies out and we were already at herd immunity and all manner of mad shite. yet it has taken a vaccine to make real inroads as the rest of us know. 

First of all, I didn't just dismiss the new strains, I said that the science doesn't support the idea that they are dramatically more contagious. I have justified this option before, but sure, believe Hancock and the red tops. This claim that I just ignore stuff I don't like is bollocks, or I wouldn't still be engaging here, would I?

I have suggested that lockdowns won't lead to zero Covid where a virus is endemic. I have suggested that our lockdowns are not harsh enough to be very effective. I have suggested that the virus would naturally die out eventually. They have in the past. There are a lot of grey areas in this subject, it's not just black and white.

I have also suggested that it was my opinion that we were at herd immunity, and I have been proven to be wrong. I wasn't the only person to think this. 

I don't mind having conversations. I don't mind being proven to be wrong, but when people are just slinging lazy shite around because I dare to question the panic about new strains, I think it's just pathetic. If you then just repost things I have said earlier without context it just compounds it. 

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Let's work through the claims

but it can mean they are more contagious. so you can't just dismiss it - which i know is your style, if you hear anything you don't like, you just ignore it. you've been doing it for 12 months - you've been telling us since the start lockdowns don't work and the virus just naturally dies out and we were already at herd immunity and all manner of mad shite. yet it has taken a vaccine to make real inroads as the rest of us know. 

First of all, I didn't just dismiss the new strains, I said that the science doesn't support the idea that they are dramatically more contagious. I have justified this option before, but sure, believe Hancock and the red tops. This claim that I just ignore stuff I don't like is bollocks, or I wouldn't still be engaging here, would I?

I have suggested that lockdowns won't lead to zero Covid where a virus is endemic. I have suggested that our lockdowns are not harsh enough to be very effective. I have suggested that the virus would naturally die out eventually. They have in the past. There are a lot of grey areas in this subject, it's not just black and white.

I have also suggested that it was my opinion that we were at herd immunity, and I have been proven to be wrong. I wasn't the only person to think this. 

I don't mind having conversations. I don't mind being proven to be wrong, but when people are just slinging lazy shite around because I dare to question the panic about new strains, I think it's just pathetic. If you then just repost things I have said earlier without context it just compounds it. 

You need to be on the recieving end of what you've typed this past year. Every time you've found a crank idea that this was all over or not as bad as it seemed or whatever you've posted it. Then gone on to support those ideas. Then when a million epidemiologist say "lockdowns are the only way to deal with this", you ignore it and go and find an opposite version "the virus started to dip 42 minutes before lockdown was announced, I can prove it with some random graph. It's just a coincidence that the R rate is reducing because of lockdown, the virus had already run its course".

You're right you're not the only person to think some of the shite you've posted this last year. There's cranks all over the internet spouting it. It doesn't alter all you've done for 12 months is try to find the most positive narrative you can and rejected the obvious. If that's how you deal with things, good for you, but it doesn't alter most of what you've posted in here for 12 months has been crackers and in many cases dangerous, as casual observers might actually believe you. 

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

You need to be on the recieving end of what you've typed this past year. Every time you've found a crank idea that this was all over or not as bad as it seemed or whatever you've posted it. Then gone on to support those ideas. Then when a million epidemiologist say "lockdowns are the only way to deal with this", you ignore it and go and find an opposite version "the virus started to dip 42 minutes before lockdown was announced, I can prove it with some random graph. It's just a coincidence that the R rate is reducing because of lockdown, the virus had already run its course".

You're right you're not the only person to think some of the shite you've posted this last year. There's cranks all over the internet spouting it. It doesn't alter all you've done for 12 months is try to find the most positive narrative you can and rejected the obvious. If that's how you deal with things, good for you, but it doesn't alter most of what you've posted in here for 12 months has been crackers and in many cases dangerous, as casual observers might actually believe you. 

I know a few people at work who spouted the same shite and they still say the same things now. Like none of the last year even happened. If you talk about New Zealand or Australia they scoff and say it was never possible here. They back borders being closed now but insist it was right not to close them last year.

They still say that the vulnerable could be protected by just opening up society for everyone else despite the evidence.

They are fucking bonkers and I don’t get it.

• Upvote 7

54 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I know a few people at work who spouted the same shite and they still say the same things now. Like none of the last year even happened. If you talk about New Zealand or Australia they scoff and say it was never possible here. They back borders being closed now but insist it was right not to close them last year.

They still say that the vulnerable could be protected by just opening up society for everyone else despite the evidence.

I think it's a combination of lazy and selfish.

Too lazy to think it through, too selfish to care.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I always said that by the time we allowed Cheltenham to happen etc. it was too late too close borders. Zero Covid is a great idea if cases don't ever become very significant, but once they do, only an absolutely draconian lockdown would get anywhere near Zero Covid. 

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out in New Zealand. I've read that vaccination alone is not likely to be enough to secure herd immunity for the population and a certain level of natural infection would be required. Maybe (hopefully) because the vaccines are so incredibly effective, this won't be the case. 

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

So everybody who had a different opinion than you is a crank? Nobody knew. Academics were disagreeing on many issues.  

If you think me posting my opinion on here is dangerous, you're a moron!

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

This in particular is utterly bizarre. We've literally just seen what happens when things are eased too quickly- twice in fact, in September and again in the run up to Christmas.

image.png

The latest bullshit seems to be that drops are down to 'seasonality', conveniently forgetting that it first ran rampant around this time last year. Every time we get a sustained drop in infections/ deaths, it seems we get the siren calls from nobheads who never tire of being wrong demanding things 'get back to normal'. And every time, we ease a few weeks too early and end up back in lockdown.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

This in particular is utterly bizarre. We've literally just seen what happens when things are eased too quickly- twice in fact, in September and again in the run up to Christmas.

image.png

The latest bullshit seems to be that drops are down to 'seasonality', conveniently forgetting that it first ran rampant around this time last year. Every time we get a sustained drop in infections/ deaths, it seems we get the siren calls from nobheads who never tire of being wrong demanding things 'get back to normal'. And every time, we ease a few weeks too early and end up back in lockdown.

Who is claiming that it is down to seasonality?

It's clearly down to the vaccine, complimented by a level of immunity provided by infection as well as seasonality. It did infect many people this time last year, but it was novel. Coronavirus in this country tend to be seasonal... not as seasonal as flu, but seasonal. 

The rates on infection are plummeting and the rates of death are now falling even faster. If Covid was the only issue to consider, then sure, let's wait another few months, but it's not, so let's strike the right balance. Immunity in the country is literally increasing by the hour, so let's just choose the right moment to release restrictions, not wait until we're all dead from old age!

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

It's virtually gone in Wales. less than 200 cases on a Tuesday. With the vaccines becoming more effective by the day and the seasonality likely playing a part, he's got to significantly reduce restrictions next Friday.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Who is claiming that it is down to seasonality?

It's clearly down to the vaccine, complimented by a level of immunity provided by infection as well as seasonality. It did infect many people this time last year, but it was novel. Coronavirus in this country tend to be seasonal... not as seasonal as flu, but seasonal. 

The rates on infection are plummeting and the rates of death are now falling even faster. If Covid was the only issue to consider, then sure, let's wait another few months, but it's not, so let's strike the right balance. Immunity in the country is literally increasing by the hour, so let's just choose the right moment to release restrictions, not wait until we're all dead from old age!

????

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Everything I have stated there is fact. So why you getting all dramatic?

Because, yet again, you're completely glossing over the massive effect that lockdowns have had on curbing infections and the subsequent knock on effects on hospitalisations and deaths. We've has this all the way along with you. It's never the blindingly obvious reason that preventing people getting together and spreading the virus stops infections, it always has to be something else. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a general population so ambivalent to so many deaths.

It's crazy. Hundreds of people dying every day. But it's ok, cos it's not 000s, seems to be the rationale.

Oh well, schools back to normal in 5

days...

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Because, yet again, you're completely glossing over the massive effect that lockdowns have had on curbing infections and the subsequent knock on effects on hospitalisations and deaths. We've has this all the way along with you. It's never the blindingly obvious reason that preventing people getting together and spreading the virus stops infections, it always has to be something else. 

So are you denying the impact of the vaccine?

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So are you denying the impact of the vaccine?

Nobody is doing that. This virus is over a year old, mass vaccines are about 6 weeks in. In that 13/14 months we have had numerous lockdowns that have produced a drop in infection rates, when those lockdown restrictions have been lifted we have seen spikes afterwards. It's no coincidence. Nobody wants to be locked down or restricted but they have been the most effective weapon thus far against the virus. 

• Upvote 1