You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Definitely. 

The pictures in the Echo of people in the park (as well as some pics from Liverpool photographers on Instagram) seem to suggest the same too. 

And, these will be the dickheads who'll moan if the numbers go up again and the "roadmap" dates get pushed back. 

Oh absolutely. The ones moaning about it have generally been the ones acting the cunt 

52 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Is anyone else noticing people who appear to have completely fucked lockdown off? I saw loads of pictures on instagram this week of people round others houses pissing it up and I'm talking big groups not just a few. Lady up the road had loads over yesterday I could hear them in her garden when I took the bins out. They haven't got the instructions out properly at all. Now people can see an 'end' they are acting like its gone and come whatever date it is that pubs open thats it lets do the fucking hula.

Maybe the government want people breaking laws though eh. Of course they do so they can blame people not their own failings the corrupt shitbags. Sick bastards in Thailand pay to throw live chickens into a crocodile pit. Throw the Tory party in it and Cummings the fucking brain in a jar lying twat. 

Data not dates - then proceed to put a date on everything.

On 28/02/2021 at 15:31, Sugar Ape said:

It’s so varied, people talk about ‘offices’ like they’re all the same, there are so many different sectors and professions that use offices and all have different needs. For some they might be desperate for staff to be back in, for others staff working from home 60-80% of the time and them saving on office rents will make more sense. 

Like I said previously, the current talk about offices is very London-centric, understandable I suppose considering what it adds to the economy, but outside of London and the South East I think things are different. 

In Liverpool for example who would you say are the biggest office based employers? I’d imagine the top two would be local and National government and their needs will be very different to places like investment banks. 

I think the best employers going forward, and the ones capable of attracting the best talent, will be the ones who let their employees have a say in how much they want to work at home. Me and SD work for the same government agency for example, he doesn’t want to work from home and wants to go in the office, I don’t want to work from home full time but would like to maybe three or four days a week.

Providing my job can be done with no problems from home (and I haven’t been in the office once since this all began and have worked from home without any issues) then I don’t see why we both can’t work the patterns we want. 

I’ll save two hours a day commuting and I have issues both physical and mental which are aggravated commuting and working in an office environment. Not to mention I’ll save over £100 a month on train fares. I’m also lucky I’ve got loads of space in my home to place an office setup so it makes sense for me to work from home if I can but for people who can’t do this they’ll have the option of going into the office. 

At the minute I think about 50% of our staff can work from home and the others have to go in because the system they use isn’t accessible remotely. Work is ongoing to change this and from late summer/August everyone in our place should be able to work from home and the expectation is most will wfh at least part of the time. 

Talk about offshoring is also specific to certain sectors as well. My job can’t be offshored for security reasons. My brother-in-law is a solicitor for LCC and he will also be working from home permanently at least part of the time, his job can’t be offshored either. My sister is a liaison for the council and the police and she’s in the same boat with a job that can’t be offshored. As I think most office jobs will neither be fully office based or fully home based, but a hybrid model, then those jobs won’t be offshored as they’ll need to be physically present at times. 

so obviously offshoring is specific to the job, like all of this is, but if we lose 5% of office jobs to offshoring, it would cause terrible damage to the economy.  

it's interesting you think the best employers will be the ones who let their employees have their say in how much they want to work from home. again, i think that is specific to the job. i know loads of people who think they are as effective at home, but they are not, because they don't recognise what they contribute while in the office and are only thinking of how quickly they effectively clear their to do list. i think the best businesses going forward will be the ones who are capable of recognising this, not have hard and fast rules up and down the company and allow divisional heads/managers to figure out and understand what is best. For me, that would then generally make them the best employers as they're likely not to fail. I realise this is probably seen quite differently inside government departments, because you are not operating in a competitive environment. 

if we go back to the goldmans example, goldmans have a very specific culture - I think companies that thrive off their culture (and this is not exclusive to capital markets and the city, for instance Google believes their culture is what has driven them to where they are today) will find it tremendously difficult to maintain that culture if their staff WFH more often than they come into the office. my mate runs a media agency - he hated going to the office and WFH as much as he could, leaving the day to day to his business partner. But has realised through this crisis, that the culture in their office was key to them performing at the level they needed. So they have already been coming into the office, because if they didn't they all felt the company was going to fail. Interestingly they were about to move office when all this shit started and they decided to scale down because they were going to allow more WFH. They moved right at the start of lockdown1 and now they are looking to expand again, because this period has taught them a significant lesson. 

21 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Data not dates - then proceed to put a date on everything.

It's not helped by fanfaring the vaccination as a huge feather in the UK government's cap. 20 million vaccinated etc and Hancock demanding gratitude towards himself and his team.

That must mean it's safer now to do what we want, so let's do it. 

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If companies want staff to work from home surely they will contribute to the increased energy and broadband costs on top of peoples bills otherwise fuck off, my heating bill has gone through the roof since she's been working from home.

You can probably get a tax rebate for all those now you are using your house as an office.  Basically you are a corporation now Bob, start acting like it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Forget vaccinations, masks and self isolating, some proper hard core remedies

And this is why we have a generation of idiot boomers, having been educated by these slightly advanced primates.  

Even now these cunts are telling people to stick a cold ashtray on your chest.  

THE Prime Minister has offered up Britain’s stadiums for the European Championships in just three months' time, with plans for vaccine passports and mass-testing to allow Wembley to reach 90,000 capacity by the finals.

The tournament’s semi-finals and finals are already scheduled for the stadium in July but Boris Johnson said if other matches need to be hosted in the UK “we are certainly on for that”.

Next month England will see trials into how to get fans back into football grounds safely.

UK Government ministers are now in talks with UEFA amid fears that plans to host the matches across 11 European cities may be hit by increasing coronavirus cases.

Johnson touted the successful roll-out of the vaccine in the UK and said: “We are hosting the Euros. We are hosting the semis and the final.

“If there’s, you know, if they want any other matches that they want hosted, we’re certainly on for that but at the moment that’s where we are with UEFA.”

For those who want to see the UK host the World Cup in 2030, it is felt having the Euros here would demonstrate the capabilities to hold big matches.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19128223.boris-johnson-offers-host-euro-2020-matches-uk-summer/

This fella thinks it's rubbish. Might just be Johnson politicking.

However, former Juventus star Boniek, who is one of UEFA's most influential figures, has dismissed any chance of the tournament being moved at this late stage.

He said: "The report was pure speculation. There has been no such decision to move it to one country

"I am on the executive committee at UEFA and every day I talk privately with the people who organise this tournament and I can assure you that this is nonsense"

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/uefa-power-broker-brands-euro-23584685

19 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Love the one about drinking boiling water. And the old sock.

Funny that the're all Welsh.

My sister in law got sent some bollocks last year when this was all kicking off which was actually posted on Facebook by her local pharmacist, about how drinking hot tea would kill covid in the throat.

It's a day of rebellion over here. The bars and restaurants of Leiden are defying the government and opening their terraces. They are however not going to be serving any food or drink as they don't want a 4000 euro fine. 

Meanwhile, over in Den Haag, the sex workers will be performing a "peep show on wheels" outside of Parliament. 

Only in this country. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

I have little faith in Johnson handling the lifting of lockdown measures will end well .

new variants and botched second dose roll outs coupled with politics above safety look like a third wave coming down the tracks to me 

personally i think they seem to have the hang of the vaccine and the nhs are handling that day to day. i reckon the vaccine will mean we're find unless there becomes a vaccine resistant variant. then we're all fucked. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

personally i think they seem to have the hang of the vaccine and the nhs are handling that day to day. i reckon the vaccine will mean we're find unless there becomes a vaccine resistant variant. then we're all fucked. 

I don't think everyone would be fucked. There would need to be another lockdown for a couple of months while they tweaked the vaccine but it wouldn't be a case of starting again.

• Upvote 1