You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hospitality is pushing massively to be open for Easter and they have support of the Tory backbenchers. 

My daughter has a restaurant and has no realistic expectations of reopening before late May / early June.

The mentions of Easter I read were waffling on about pub gardens which must cover a small fraction of the sector

9 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Possibly. I have a link to an NHS site you use to get your NHS number, then another link to another site to pick your slot add that NHS number and your details.

Sounds a bit queue jumpy for my liking.

I'm guessing the portal itself though must surely vet you on the NHS number. 

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

My daughter has a restaurant and has no realistic expectations of reopening before late May / early June.

The mentions of Easter I read were waffling on about pub gardens which must cover a small fraction of the sector

I thought the pubs were lobbying to open with the same rules as they did when they opened in July. 

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Saw that guy from Wetherspoons kicking off , but I think she would rather wait an extra month or so and open properly.

It wasn't him I saw, it was the leader of one of the bodies, maybe hospitality UK and they also head one of the heads of the traditional breweries (Greene king or something) saying the same. We'll find out next week anyway. 

Would she stay shut if everywhere else was opening up?

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Saw that guy from Wetherspoons kicking off , but I think she would rather wait an extra month or so and open properly.

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Article/2021/02/15/MPs-Steve-Baker-CRG-demand-hospitality-be-allowed-to-open-by-Easter

This is the thing from the back bench Tories. Fucking CRG, bellends. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

If you go through the NHS booking piece and say you're a care worker, you get a booking time and one for the second as well. I didn't take it of course, but it's a bit open I thought to abuse, if am honest. 

There are stories of the BMA claiming that unused vaccines are being thrown away. Is it worse that vaccines are binned or that people might take up opportunities that are there because others just aren't booking in?

Difficult one. I've got the website address too, no doubt it's circling quite a bit now.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

There are stories of the BMA claiming that unused vaccines are being thrown away. Is it worse that vaccines are binned or that people might take up opportunities that are there because others just aren't booking in?

Difficult one. I've got the website address too, no doubt it's circling quite a bit now.

I'm sure I posted on here a while ago that my Gf's Auntie and some of her staff had it way earlier than anticipated because the hospital they work at had no way of storing it. 

There was always likely to be some people that 'jump the queue' for one reason or the other but as long as people aren't denying people that genuinely need it then then its a good thing.   

3 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

I think Trump was probably talking about hypochlorous acid, which is chemically very similar to bleach, but is produced by the human body. It's amazing at killing bacteria, and non toxic. The problem is there is no way to inject it to fight viruses living within the body.

Maybe the people talking to Trump were talking about that; if so, he wasn't listening. 

He just started running his mouth with no particular concern about what noises came out. In this instance, the noises that came out were about detergent being introduced into the human body. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Maybe the people talking to Trump were talking about that; if so, he wasn't listening. 

He just started running his mouth with no particular concern about what noises came out. In this instance, the noises that came out were about detergent being introduced into the human body. 

Nah, he'd had a letter from a loony church grifter lady who was selling bleach as a covid cure.  So then went and promoted it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm sure I posted on here a while ago that my Gf's Auntie and some of her staff had it way earlier than anticipated because the hospital they work at had no way of storing it. 

There was always likely to be some people that 'jump the queue' for one reason or the other but as long as people aren't denying people that genuinely need it then then its a good thing.   

Apparently the Chesterfield football team, or a large number of them got vaccinated early because vaccines would have been binned at the end of that particular day had they not been used. If there are a load of appointments showing on the site, and groups of people, even though entitled to, are reticent in getting the jab, then are you really jumping any queue?

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't expect we will be done before that. By late march we need to start going back and vaccinating everyone we did since December with 2nd jabs, so the 2nd half of the population probably don't start getting their 1st jabs till the summer. I realise we're doing pretty well compared with most nations and especially Europe - but we've a big population, so the race is hardly won yet. I think also the EU have access to the Johnson and Johnson jab don't you, which only requires a single shot? 

We're lagging behind well over half of Europe in terms of people fully vacccinated, per capita, but we are ahead with first jabs.

Not quite the world beating claims as we had a head start of a month, but they are catching up, and more importantly have full 'protection' in more of their populations.

We'll see soonish who has adopted the correct, least worst, plan.

• Upvote 1

Screenshot-2021-02-16-at-07-12-55.png

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita

Screenshot-2021-02-16-at-07-15-41.png

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-vaccination-europe-by-the-numbers/

Who has made the best progress, relatively speaking?

The UK has administered the most vaccines overall, but it also leads in terms of vaccinations per capita of population.

Malta, Serbia and Denmark are also strong on this measure.

Explore the map below to see how other countries in Europe are doing.

Screenshot-2021-02-16-at-07-21-13.png

https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/15/covid-19-vaccinations-in-europe-which-countries-are-leading-the-way

Level playing field?

The caveat with comparative European data like this is that not every country began vaccinations at the same time.

Here is a look at who got a headstart on the rest.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep agreed, and mine is that lockdown is playing a massive part just as it is in the UK. 

You may not have noticed stig, but spy bee doesn't believe lockdowns suppress the virus. He's mentioned it once or twice. The virus just naturally dies out. This time aided by the vaccine sniper. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

You may not have noticed stig, but spy bee doesn't believe lockdowns suppress the virus. He's mentioned it once or twice. The virus just naturally dies out. This time aided by the vaccine sniper. 

Haha, I know he doesn't mate. I'm just trying to make him realise. 

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Have you got a link to the Israeli hospitalisation figures? I can only find cases, which have reduced but not steeply.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-idUKKBN2AE0Q2

I'm not sure how good this link is as I'm in a rush, but I saw something similar yesterday which was legit

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-idUKKBN2AE0Q2

I'm not sure how good this link is as I'm in a rush, but I saw something similar yesterday which was legit

Neither of those are hospitalisation figures, I'm looking for something similar to the UK healthcare figures on the daily dashboard. I'd imagine they are dropping, but you keep making claims without anything to back them up.