You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

24 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

You haven't been going around spreading it though have you. There is nothing wrong with longing for your old life. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be happy. People die all the time of lots of different things, you can't be expected to mourn for them all.

By saying this, I am not undermining the tragic events some people are going through. My sister in law currently has acute pancreatitis, sepsis and Covid and has had to undergo a couple of surgeries. I have known people who have died. My point is, don't feel guilty for dreaming of normality and wishing you could have it.

I think you're missing the point. Everybody wants things back to normal, everybody wants to go for a pint / see & hug loved ones / not wear a mask / go on holiday but there is a difference between those who understand the reasons we can't because of the reality of this virus and those who simply refuse too and those who flout the rules, downplay the situation or moan constantly about their 'liberty' being taken from them despite the pain and suffering others are going through due to this virus. 

We're all dreaming of normality fella. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Get yourself another mask Stronts.

Wearing a cloth mask over a medical procedure mask significantly helps reduce exposure to the coronavirus, according to a new CDC study.

Researchers determined double-masking or wearing tightly fitted medical masks can reduce exposure to infectious aerosols by 95 percent — demonstrating that the better the masks fit, the better protection they provide.

All those selfish bastards only wearing two masks, three masks is where it's at.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I tested negative with a lateral flow Monday but got full test results as positive today because I knew I had it, maybe in the 5% bracket or maybe the lateral flow tests aren't too good, I dunno.

How are you feeling today mate? 

3 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I'm alright, I've had a rough couple of days but up to now nothing major, I had adult chicken pox which was much worse than this, but I know this can worsen, so see how it goes, nice one la.

Hopefully past the worst then, good luck 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I tested negative with a lateral flow Monday but got full test results as positive today because I knew I had it, maybe in the 5% bracket or maybe the lateral flow tests aren't too good, I dunno.

The lateral flows are fucking shit. Me and the missus both got negatives when we had it! Sadly it's giving people false sense of security thinking they're okay when they aren't and they're off spreading the virus round. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Fingers crossed indeed.

Is your dad ok if you don't mind me asking.

He seems to be ok, he tested negative which was a pleasant surprise. Thankfully they have one carer going in once a day and he gets what he needs (including a nicely cooked bacon and egg sandwich) from a trusted health care provider. My ma jeeps well out of the way as she is paranoid about giving it to other people. Even the postman got a scare when he knocked on the door and stood on the doorstep, she opened the door and she shooed him back saying she had covid. Apparently he was quite taken aback. 

Hopefully things remain as they are and they come out the other side, if she does I think it will do her confidence the world of good to recover from this scary disease. 

Thanks for asking, means a lot and I know it would mean a lot to her and him. 

18 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

He seems to be ok, he tested negative which was a pleasant surprise. Thankfully they have one carer going in once a day and he gets what he needs (including a nicely cooked bacon and egg sandwich) from a trusted health care provider. My ma jeeps well out of the way as she is paranoid about giving it to other people. Even the postman got a scare when he knocked on the door and stood on the doorstep, she opened the door and she shooed him back saying she had covid. Apparently he was quite taken aback. 

Hopefully things remain as they are and they come out the other side, if she does I think it will do her confidence the world of good to recover from this scary disease. 

Thanks for asking, means a lot and I know it would mean a lot to her and him. 

That's good news about your dad. We're in the same brotherhood hence my interest and concern. I wish you all well anyway.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

The lateral flows are fucking shit. Me and the missus both got negatives when we had it! Sadly it's giving people false sense of security thinking they're okay when they aren't and they're off spreading the virus round. 

The line is that LFTs are a good indication of how infectious you are, but can't guarantee you aren't infected.  

They accurately detect high viral loads.  The sort that means you're very likely to pass it on easily.  

You might have a low viral load, and the LFT will miss that, but chances are you're not likely to be spreading it loads. 

• Upvote 1

Remember when the Mail, Times and Telegraph spent months last summer trying to get everyone back to the office (supposedly on the pretext that we needed to fund sandwich shops and coffee chains, and nothing to do with office landlords and sky high rents)? Well it looks like home working is here to stay. Interesting Twitter thread.

Working from home needs some serious thougnt, I had the first physio trip I've ever had last night because my posture has fucked my neck up, they've had loads of people in the same boat. It's a lonely life too, loads of mental health problems down the road. People will simply forget how to interact, let alone the damage to town centre economies.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Working from home needs some serious thougnt, I had the first physio trip I've ever had last night because my posture has fucked my neck up, they've had loads of people in the same boat. It's a lonely life too, loads of mental health problems down the road. People will simply forget how to interact, let alone the damage to town centre economies.

I genuinely don’t know how I feel about working from home. I do miss the craic from being in the office to a degree but at the same time I like the flexibility that working from home offers you. And I used to hate working from home; I suppose we just adapt?

From the conversations I’ve had with my boss (who is a charlatan so I never really believe a word he says) he thinks it will be a case that people will generally work from home going forward with the odd day in an office for specific meetings/get-togethers.

I’d be fine with that.

Some of the senior managers used to have a Nazi-like attitude to people working from home so it’s been interesting to see that evolve over time.

40 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The RSI, posture problems is certainly an issue. I’ve had a flute / hip problem exacerbated by the way I sit in my home office chair. The place I work has / is sending people appropriate office equipment such as chairs etc. So hopefully this is a short term thing while people and companies get used to home working.

on the mental health side, while I agree some people will have issues I think the majority will benefit. No more commuting and a more flexible day will allow people to pick up hobbies, spend time with the family and friends, and pick up more social activities closer to home (post Covid) such as gyms, clubs etc. The problem will be for introverts who may see their circle shrink.

This could also potentially be a boost to local businesses such as cafes where people still want their coffee fixes or lunch and if you’re at home and have friends near by would be easy to do. A more decentralised world in my eyes is a good thing, but as with everything there will be downsides. 

Just now, Jairzinho said:

What will happen to the hundreds of thousands of middle managers who it is becoming abundantly clear to all have absolutely no fucking purpose whatsoever?

Facebook, Snapchat and Whatsapp groups that everyone is "encouraged" to join and also "encouraged" to post at least once a day in.