You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Seen this fella getting quoted by some of the Yeadon cult promising to ‘clammer’ for the urgent change we all need. 

This is what he’s come up with. Let’s all get into a Spitfire and jolly well give Covid a good thrashing. If this cunt was alive during The Blitz he’d be running around shining a torch into the sky claiming planes don’t exist. 

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

New Israeli data. 

Looks like we've deffo got the tools now to bag this little bastard, I think it's still gonna be a fucked up six months until we can get ahead of it, but once we do we'll nail it.

EtugebpWQAAleK1.png

It definitely looks promising. So much so that I'm considering a late summer/autumn break abroad. 

The new variants seem to be the main issue that could chuck the proverbial spanner in the works. Long term, I think we'll be able to manage them too with tweaks to vaccines, better isolation measures and booster shots etc. 

28 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It definitely looks promising. So much so that I'm considering a late summer/autumn break abroad. 

The new variants seem to be the main issue that could chuck the proverbial spanner in the works. Long term, I think we'll be able to manage them too with tweaks to vaccines, better isolation measures and booster shots etc. 

Yeah the only reason I wouldn't fancy a break abroad is all the "will they/won't they" shite they like to do with the air corridors, even if things are relatively safe for you with a vaccine in tow, you'd still have the worry of not being able to relax in case you get told you've got 12 hours to get home or be thrown in a Britannia Hotel shit-stained oubliette to cool your heels for two weeks. 

I'm gonna try and get a cottage in Anglesey or something, close the front door and watch the rocky box set, early evening walk then back to base for some sauvignon blanc and zuppa di mussels.

• Upvote 1

Only 350 cases in the whole of Wales today. The hospital ICU's are at 123% of capacity and that is the only metric preventing restrictions being relaxed. THis can be used as an opportunity to drive it down further.

I wonder if it's seasonal period is coming to an end, or is it just the number fo those who have now been infected or vaccinated i now impacting the numbers. The drop off seems to be sustained and significant now.

43 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah the only reason I wouldn't fancy a break abroad is all the "will they/won't they" shite they like to do with the air corridors, even if things are relatively safe for you with a vaccine in tow, you'd still have the worry of not being able to relax in case you get told you've got 12 hours to get home or be thrown in a Britannia Hotel shit-stained oubliette to cool your heels for two weeks. 

I'm gonna try and get a cottage in Anglesey or something, close the front door and watch the rocky box set, early evening walk then back to base for some sauvignon blanc and zuppa di mussels.

Supermarkets seems to be in short supply of Malborough and Nelson at the moment. I hope this is not related to the fact New Zealand is isolating from the rest of the planet.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

New Israeli data. 

Looks like we've deffo got the tools now to bag this little bastard, I think it's still gonna be a fucked up six months until we can get ahead of it, but once we do we'll nail it.

EtugebpWQAAleK1.png

A bit more flesh to the bone:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00316-4

Israel are using the Pfizer vaccine exclusively so it will be interesting to see the data in the UK with the AZ vaccine

10 minutes ago, Jenson said:

A bit more flesh to the bone:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00316-4

Israel are using the Pfizer vaccine exclusively so it will be interesting to see the data in the UK with the AZ vaccine

Two doses too, the fact people are still getting sick after the first dose is a bit of a concern, firefighting though I suppose, spreading the risk. 

When the vaccine programme has 'caught up' with the spread of the disease though, and with it seemingly easy to adapt it to new mutations, you'd have to hope we can nail the box shut at some point this year, or maybe early next year. 

I don't love a lot of the narrative about vaccines coming out about them maybe not preventing infection as well as people think they should. Vaccines for widespread respiratory illnesses have never promised to completely stop spread, they've never promised to eradicate everything. The standard right now for these seem weirdly either way too high or way too low.

You don't want to go overboard about their effectiveness either but there's a lot of fodder out there right now that promotes skepticism that isn't especially warranted and could dissuade people from getting them.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Only 350 cases in the whole of Wales today. The hospital ICU's are at 123% of capacity and that is the only metric preventing restrictions being relaxed. THis can be used as an opportunity to drive it down further.

I wonder if it's seasonal period is coming to an end, or is it just the number fo those who have now been infected or vaccinated i now impacting the numbers. The drop off seems to be sustained and significant now.

I think it reflects lockdown/restrictions. The numbers have dropped since the Christmas free for all. We will get another spike once they get lifted but hopefully just a small one. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I think it reflects lockdown/restrictions. The numbers have dropped since the Christmas free for all. We will get another spike once they get lifted but hopefully just a small one. 

Hopefully the snow will also stop unneccessary travel and the numbers will drop a lot more over the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to seeing the back of this.

10 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Hopefully the snow will also stop unneccessary travel and the numbers will drop a lot more over the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to seeing the back of this.

Same mate although the fact it takes things like snow to stop people being cunts kind of sums up the mess we are in. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't love a lot of the narrative about vaccines coming out about them maybe not preventing infection as well as people think they should. Vaccines for widespread respiratory illnesses have never promised to completely stop spread, they've never promised to eradicate everything. The standard right now for these seem weirdly either way too high or way too low.

You don't want to go overboard about their effectiveness either but there's a lot of fodder out there right now that promotes skepticism that isn't especially warranted and could dissuade people from getting them.

There are news outlets that, in my opinion, should be shut down for some of the stuff they have put out about coronavirus. Even if you haven't lost anyone close to you, there's a decent chance you've had a fairly unpleasant year. The misrepresentation of almost every single fucking scientific study has been appalling.

I understand the need to remind people of the seriousness of the situation in the hope they continue to wear a mask, wash hands, etc, etc. But people are also motivated by seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. People are not motivated by being told flatly that a vaccine doesn't work against a certain strain. Especially when the news is simply not true.

We are adding to the inevitable backlog of mental health illnesses that will need addressing.

• Upvote 6