You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think this is true. If the vaccines prevent hospitalisations that's great, no? We then live with Covid 19 just as we live with the flu.

Yeah but my point is about risk, i.e. a variant could pop up anywhere in the world that the vaccines aren't effective against, for serious illness. It seems unclear about this South African one as there are conflicting reports.

Who knows which variant is going to come next?

I believe that the the latest AZ testing was done on younger people with no comorbidities. I agree that a vaccine that prevents hospitalisation is better than nothing. But, re: the SA variant, there's no guarantee that the AZ vaccine offers that for older people, those with underlying health conditions etc. It might do. But, the latest released study doesn't provide any data in that regard. 

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

Yeah but my point is about risk, i.e. a variant could pop up anywhere in the world that the vaccines aren't effective against, for serious illness. It seems unclear about this South African one as there are conflicting reports.

Who knows which variant is going to come next?

Well, we know that we've actually gone through most of the variants already and we've yet to come across one that vaccines don't prevent serious illness against. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I believe that the the latest AZ testing was done on younger people with no comorbidities. I agree that a vaccine that prevents hospitalisation is better than nothing. But, re: the SA variant, there's no guarantee that the AZ vaccine offers that for older people, those with underlying health conditions etc. It might do. But, the latest released study doesn't provide any data in that regard. 

Yeah that's what the data that I can see further up the page suggests. Why didn't they test it against older people (i.e. the people at risk for hospitalisation). I don't get it.

Just now, Brownie said:

Am I reading it right that they only tested efficacy against the SA variant in people aged 40 and under?

Average age was 31 I think which is why they can't be sure how it will impact on severe illness as you'd imagine most people in that age group wouldn't get seriously ill anyway.

Just now, Brownie said:

It has stopped mutating?

Not quite/yet.

I'll try and find the clip later (could be difficult) but there was an explanation about each covid virus having about 40000 strains. Obviously the vast, vast majority of them just die off quickly. Anyway, we've already been through about three quarters of them. 

Denmark followed by the UK are doing the best research on this stuff as every single positive test goes through the lab. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Not quite/yet.

I'll try and find the clip later (could be difficult) but there was an explanation about each covid virus having about 40000 strains. Obviously the vast, vast majority of them just die off quickly. Anyway, we've already been through about three quarters of them. 

Denmark followed by the UK are doing the best research on this stuff as every single positive test goes through the lab. 

Ta mate.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

@Elite @Bjornebye

Ma has been tested positive, she's 68 and is experiencing a sore/croaky throat and body aches. How did your experience start? It seems mild at the moment and it's been tracked back to last weekend, 30th and 31st January.

Went to bed right as rain, woke up and was aching all over (got out of bed genuinely felt like I'd been kicked the shit out of), sore throat, mild headache and that shit feeling between the eyes. By that night I was sweating buckets, like properly soaked. Felt like the flu but not as extreme. Just lasted longer. The shortness of breath was the scariest part. That said, people react differently. My missus had a few symptoms similar to me but her taste and smell went (mine didn't), her chest was fine. Is she feeling really bad or just mild? get her drinking as much water as possible. Its easier if it's warm with some lemon in as she will drink more. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Went to bed right as rain, woke up and was aching all over (got out of bed genuinely felt like I'd been kicked the shit out of), sore throat, mild headache and that shit feeling between the eyes. By that night I was sweating buckets, like properly soaked. Felt like the flu but not as extreme. Just lasted longer. The shortness of breath was the scariest part. That said, people react differently. My missus had a few symptoms similar to me but her taste and smell went (mine didn't), her chest was fine. Is she feeling really bad or just mild? get her drinking as much water as possible. Its easier if it's warm with some lemon in as she will drink more. 

She seems to be feeling mild at the moment. Yesterday she coughed on the phone for the last two minutes of a ten minute call. She struggles to walk anyway so the aches she says are a bit more than normal. She also has asthma so breathing hasn't deteriorated from that level so far. I'll recommend warm water with honey and lemon, also ordered her some lemsip for the paracetamol content.

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

She seems to be feeling mild at the moment. Yesterday she coughed on the phone for the last two minutes of a ten minute call. She struggles to walk anyway so the aches she says are a bit more than normal. She also has asthma so breathing hasn't deteriorated from that level so far. I'll recommend warm water with honey and lemon, also ordered her some lemsip for the paracetamol content.

Bless her. It passes after about 10 days mate. 

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

To be fair her taste was fucked long before this. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

@Elite @Bjornebye

Ma has been tested positive, she's 68 and is experiencing a sore/croaky throat and body aches. How did your experience start? It seems mild at the moment and it's been tracked back to last weekend, 30th and 31st January.

Started off with a cough which wasn't too bad, my chest started to hurt when I breathed in after a few days and then shit went sideways quickly. Coughing up blood, vomitting blood and my whole body went into spasm when I tried to lie down, the pain was horrendous and I was struggling to breath because of the spasms but I later found out I had blood clots on my lungs, so that's why I was in a bad way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Can't wait for this to disappear in the winter. 

Have the Daily Mail gone with "Person fully vaccinates dies from Covid" headline yet or are they saving that lie for the next tory fuck up? 

They are fully engaged in scaring pensioners with the Beast from The East apocalypse .  

30 minutes ago, Elite said:

Started off with a cough which wasn't too bad, my chest started to hurt when I breathed in after a few days and then shit went sideways quickly. Coughing up blood, vomitting blood and my whole body went into spasm when I tried to lie down, the pain was horrendous and I was struggling to breath because of the spasms but I later found out I had blood clots on my lungs, so that's why I was in a bad way.

Hopefully that doesn't happen to her, but I'll be mindful of making sure people are aware of the possibility.

22 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah, I didn't want to scare you just giving you my experience.

No problem at all, I knew you'd been through the ringer I appreciate your honesty.