You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

28 minutes ago, Poster said:

He was promoted to honorary Colonel, a chance missed there obviously. 

If you offered me 100 years and walking around my garden at that age, I'd take it. 

Kind of shows those writing off people over 80 as having had a good life and somehow less valuable are cunts. Tom raised £30m at 99. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh no we can't/we mustn't use Japan as a comparison because it goes against covidiot bullshit. 

There are a lot of factors to weigh up in a Japan vs UK handling of the pandemic. Japan is a much healthier, more compliant country.  The obesity rate is 3% for Japan and around 26% UK. As you touched on the culture of them makes a virus less likely to spread. 

Japan is arguably the best country I've ever been to. Puts this country to shame in so many ways. 

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Probably the biggest difference between Japan and the UK is that they are a monocultural society. Not sure that's something we should be seeking to emulate or eulogise though.

It depends on if Japan is intentionally monocultural, after all it's quite an isolated country/island whereas the UK is just a few miles from mainland Europe.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It depends on if Japan is intentionally monocultural, after all it's quite an isolated country/island whereas the UK is just a few miles from mainland Europe.

Erm, yes, it's extremely intentional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan

If you think about the way the virus has cut a swathe through ethnic minorities in this country, it stands to reason it won't have as much impact upon a country where there aren't any significant ethnic minorities.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Japan should rightly be criticised for not extending their colonisation outside of East Asia.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Almost 90% of the UK is "white British", it's quite the straw to clutch at re the coronavirus figures.

So "only" 7 million aren't white, and they're up to three times more likely to die from covid.

Not so much a straw, as an acknowledgement of reality.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Skids will be on here shortly to tell you...

giphy.gif

Rhod Gilbert was quite funny on The One Show a few weeks back.

He mentioned that he had walked to the studio and Alex Jones says ' Did you see anybody not wearing a mask ?

He looked uncomfortable and said ' You expecting me to dob people in live on tv , what part of Wales do you come from ? '

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

So "only" 7 million aren't white, and they're up to three times more likely to die from covid.

Not so much a straw, as an acknowledgement of reality.

Twenty times as many people have died with half the population so, no, not even close to reality.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

There are a lot of factors to weigh up in a Japan vs UK handling of the pandemic. Japan is a much healthier, more compliant country.  The obesity rate is 3% for Japan and around 26% UK. As you touched on the culture of them makes a virus less likely to spread. 

Japan is arguably the best country I've ever been to. Puts this country to shame in so many ways. 

Yep superb country. Loved being there. Their ability to get on with wearing masks and not acting like petulant selfish cunts says a lot about their warm, considerate and welcoming nation. 

11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Twenty times as many people have died with half the population so, no, not even close to reality.

The biggest issue here is that you are seriously underestimating the impact that 7 million people with a much higher risk of getting and transmitting the virus has upon the R number.

Nevertheless, I fully agree that other factors as mentioned previously are more significant.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The biggest issue here is that you are seriously underestimating the impact that 7 million people with a much higher risk of getting and transmitting the virus has upon the R number.

Nevertheless, I fully agree that other factors as mentioned previously are more significant.

Remember this is the virus you said would be gone by this winter that you are referring too. 

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Kind of shows those writing off people over 80 as having had a good life and somehow less valuable are cunts. Tom raised £30m at 99. 

There was a lady in her 90’s on the news last week. She’d survived Auschwitz and has just got over Covid. She was very lively and said she was afraid to die. I thought of all the people who say ‘oh they’re old, doesn’t matter’.

• Upvote 7

51 minutes ago, suzy said:

There was a lady in her 90’s on the news last week. She’d survived Auschwitz and has just got over Covid. She was very lively and said she was afraid to die. I thought of all the people who say ‘oh they’re old, doesn’t matter’.

My next door neighbour who is an elderly man himself, 75. His father only died a few years ago and was 94. 

I remember saying to Joe (my neighbour). "wow Joe, your father had a great innings" 

Ill never forget what his reply was

"yeah, but when you're 94, 95 is even better" 

It's easy for us to sit back and just say, ah they're all old anyway. They're still human beings with life left in them. If you can't help out the vulnerable when they need it most, then quite frankly you're a selfish prick. That's my opinion anyway

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

3 hours ago, suzy said:

I saw that, she was amazing.

When people like her talk, you shut up and listen. Bless her.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Number of people killed by vengeful female ghosts with long black hair and wearing a white funeral shift:

Japan:  87,331

UK:            0

Swings and roundabouts.

Only because Japanese are too polite not to answer the phone. 

True story, as The Ring finished, the house phone rang. I was not polite.