You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

All done. Dad was quite happy when I left.  I gave him the bill for all the running around I’ve done over the last year, must be emotional as he had a tear in his eye. 

I'm not surprised the prices you charge.

If loads of teachers are off work with Covid then schools can't reopen 

Seems like a sensible idea to me. Also, there's got to be a H&S issue with teachers having to deal with 100s of the little bastards/disease vectors then they should be protected as much as possible

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

This EU/AZ thing is mad. Hard to see any way the commissioner can claw back credibility here.

Basically saying "we aren't making enough vaccine so give us theirs", when both the UK and AZ have said "err, no" the response has essentially been the threat of a sanction on our supply chain? Making things worse for everyone in a way that will likely cost lives.

That is not quite the case is it?

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

On a positive note though you can bring that up for years to come. Start pissing on the seat just for a laugh. 

'You pissed all over the floor when you cam back from ale house last night and woke me up banging around'

'Remind me again, who brought covid into the house, love....'

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

Seems like a sensible idea to me. Also, there's got to be a H&S issue with teachers having to deal with 100s of the little bastards/disease vectors then they should be protected as much as possible

Aren't the rail unions arguing for the non essential work on the network with the H&S angle as well? 

2 hours ago, mattyq said:

At the risk of repeating myself, and I’m even boring myself now, schools aren’t shut because teachers are getting sick. They’re shut because they increase the R rate in the community and they spread the virus to vulnerable parents and grandparents. Vaccinating teachers won’t stop that. 

I don’t think anyone on here is saying teachers shouldn’t get vaccinated. But they shouldn’t vaccinate healthy people who work in schools before vulnerable people get vaccinated. You can temporarily close schools or limit the amount of people in them, you can’t do that in loads of other places like supermarkets or meat plants for example and no one seems to be clamouring for them to get the vaccine first. 

It just seems completely back to front to me and I can’t get my head around the logic. 

Scenario A: Schools increase the virus circulating in the population which impacts the vulnerable and elderly people, so we vaccinate the vulnerable and elderly people (including vulnerable and elderly teachers) before we reopen schools fully so when cases rise again it doesn’t result in as many deaths and hospitalisations. 

Scenario B:  We vaccinate teachers before a large section of the vulnerable and elderly. This enables schools to let more pupils in (as they’re still half open anyway) which causes cases to rise and spread to vulnerable and elderly people that haven’t been vaccinated. We’re then back to square one. 

Causing a shit load of extra deaths and illness so schools can go back maybe three or four weeks early doesn’t seem like a sensible option to me. 

My brother and dad work at JLR and it is fucking rampant in there at the minute. Social distancing is non existent and they’ve even told staff not to use the NHS app and to still go into work even if someone they live with tests positive.This week my brother has caught it, his wife has now got it and his sister in law (who also works there) has got it as well. She’s passed it on to her 69 year old dad who has to mind her kids when she goes to work. 

They were all furloughed during the first lockdown but have to work through this one. There are workplaces like this up and down the country but no one is calling for these people to jump the queue for the vaccine. Suggesting teachers jump ahead of everyone else working in unsafe conditions and people at a bigger clinical risk from the virus doesn’t sit right with me coming from a Labour leader. 

You can read about some of the shit going on at JLR here:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/jaguar-land-rover-plant-at-19725706.amp#click=https://t.co/oXyC9pUWBM

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

At the risk of repeating myself, and I’m even boring myself now, schools aren’t shut because teachers are getting sick. They’re shut because they increase the R rate in the community and they spread the virus to vulnerable parents and grandparents. Vaccinating teachers won’t stop that. 

I don’t think anyone on here is saying teachers shouldn’t get vaccinated. But they shouldn’t vaccinate healthy people who work in schools before vulnerable people get vaccinated. You can temporarily close schools or limit the amount of people in them, you can’t do that in loads of other places like supermarkets or meat plants for example and no one seems to be clamouring for them to get the vaccine first. 

It just seems completely back to front to me and I can’t get my head around the logic. 

Scenario A: Schools increase the virus circulating in the population which impacts the vulnerable and elderly people, so we vaccinate the vulnerable and elderly people (including vulnerable and elderly teachers) before we reopen schools fully so when cases rise again it doesn’t result in as many deaths and hospitalisations. 

Scenario B:  We vaccinate teachers before a large section of the vulnerable and elderly. This enables schools to let more pupils in (as they’re still half open anyway) which causes cases to rise and spread to vulnerable and elderly people that haven’t been vaccinated. We’re then back to square one. 

Causing a shit load of extra deaths and illness so schools can go back maybe three or four weeks early doesn’t seem like a sensible option to me. 

My brother and dad work at JLR and it is fucking rampant in there at the minute. Social distancing is non existent and they’ve even told staff not to use the NHS app and to still go into work even if someone they live with tests positive.This week my brother has caught it, his wife has now got it and his sister in law (who also works there) has got it as well. She’s passed it on to her 69 year old dad who has to mind her kids when she’s goes to work. 

They were all furloughed during the first lockdown but have to work through this one. There are workplaces like this up and down the country but no one is calling for these people to jump the queue for the vaccine. Suggesting teachers jump ahead of everyone else working in unsafe conditions and people at a bigger clinical risk from the virus doesn’t sit right with me coming from a Labour leader. 

You can read about some of the shit going on at JLR here:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/jaguar-land-rover-plant-at-19725706.amp#click=https://t.co/oXyC9pUWBM

The other thing with schools is that it isn’t just teachers and kids, but also all the service staff like cleaners and cooks in canteens etc. Then you also have all the people congregating around schools to drop off and pick up kids, quite a few might not be parents because of work etc. Then you have to go to gas stations etc. more often than if staying at home. Just many more people mingling than should be. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

The other thing with schools is that it isn’t just teachers and kids, but also all the service staff like cleaners and cooks in canteens etc. Then you also have all the people congregating around schools to drop off and pick up kids, quite a few might not be parents because of work etc. Then you have to go to gas stations etc. more often than if staying at home. Just many more people mingling than should be. 

Of course. The school bus driver from my daughters school caught it a month before Christmas and is sure he got it off one of the kids so people like him would need it too in addition to teaching staff.

With the end (in terms of vaccinating the priority groups) in sight just keep them shut for an extra month or two. 

I’ve seen some of the Tory mouthpieces on Twitter talking about holding pupils back a year as well. Not sure how that would work?

4 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, and I appreciate your personal reasons for wanting it to happen. My argument is that pressing for teacher vaccinations, whilst welcome, is being done for economic reasons rather than for the well being of children (or staff).

I didn't look to see who the poster was when I replied to this, I thought it was someone else I was debating with.

Sorry for the confusion.

32 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Of course. The school bus driver from my daughters school caught it a month before Christmas and is sure he got it off one of the kids so people like him would need it too in addition to teaching staff.

With the end (in terms of vaccinating the priority groups) in sight just keep them shut for an extra month or two. 

I’ve seen some of the Tory mouthpieces on Twitter talking about holding pupils back a year as well. Not sure how that would work?

Given how badly many, many kids educations have been disrupted over what is 2 academic years now, many are doing very little to no learning now or in first big lockdown - i feel holding them back a year is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Given how badly many, many kids educations have been disrupted over what is 2 academic years now, many are doing very little to no learning now or in first big lockdown - i feel holding them back a year is a good idea.

I don’t really have much of an opinion either way but what would happen to the kids due to start school in September? Is the thinking we permanently move to kids starting school a year later?

9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I don’t really have much of an opinion either way but what would happen to the kids due to start school in September? Is the thinking we permanently move to kids starting school a year later?

That won’t happen, but it’s a sensible idea.

6/18 year olds will catch up naturally, but below that they are, and have, missing/missed lots of important stuff. Even the kids above could do with a little more to prepare them for the next intellectual leap they have to make, but they’ll eventually be fine from a development point of view. With the younger ones it’s all about the soft  and emotionally led skills which feed in to the later stuff.

In principle a great idea for the younger years as long as financial support is in place to support the additional year for parents, but I’ve no doubt that that the idea wouldn’t be considered as it requires thought and application. 

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I was quite clear being reductive, but yes. I think it's actually quite close.

From EU's point of view AZ is trying to screw it over, by supplying UK in full and transferring all of the production shortfall to the EU, with an explanation that AZ's factories in UK are working fine, but AZ's factories in Belgium are not, since AZ screwed something up, therefore EU will not get what is contractually due to receive , but UK will. Instead of spreading the production shortfall in its network among all buyers equally. Pfizer is also delivering to Israel and elsewehere, but cutting supplies to the EU. So if they want to play that game, the EU is trying to oblige. Hope they tear them a new asshole.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I read that once we receive all of the vaccines we have ordered we will have 5 doses for every person in the country , so hopefully fairly soon we may be able to be generous to the EU or other affected countries.

They’ll probably be used as bargaining chips in trade deals.

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

From EU's point of view AZ is trying to screw it over, by supplying UK in full and transferring all of the production shortfall to the EU, with an explanation that AZ's factories in UK are working fine, but AZ's factories in Belgium are not, since AZ screwed something up, therefore EU will not get what is contractually due to receive , but UK will. Instead of spreading the production shortfall in its network among all buyers equally. Pfizer is also delivering to Israel and elsewehere, but cutting supplies to the EU. So if they want to play that game, the EU is trying to oblige. Hope they tear them a new asshole.

The Commission are trying to invoke article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol without informing the UK or Irish Governments. Total over reaction and possibly dangerous 

Quite a feat to make Johnson's Government look sensible and measured

What are they smoking over there?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Falklands, BVI, Bermuda...etc 

As long as they don't give any to those fuckers on the Isles of Scilly , they've already got Julia Bradbury walking around there so they are not getting anything else.