You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

There are nine groups of vulnerable people to be vaccinated. After the first four are vaccinated the plan is to do the next five groups from the 15th February. What Starmer is asking for, and you seemingly agree with, is for those other groups to be delayed even though they’re at more risk. 

Teachers and people who work in schools are not at more risk of serious illness from Covid than the people in the other five groups, unless they are in those groups themselves. And if they are they will be eligible for a jab anyway. 

I work with a 68 year old man with diabetes and high blood pressure who has had go into the office since August every week using public transport. This would delay him getting vaccinated so younger and healthier school staff can jump the queue ahead of him. Clearly this is wrong. 

And btw my wife works in a nursery and my mum in a school so I’m well aware of the situation there. But my wife is much less likely to be seriously ill from Covid than the people in categories 5-9.

As much as it would be great to see a return to school for children, they shouldn't pretend that this about anything other than childcare while parents go back to work.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

As much as it would be great to see a return to school for children, they shouldn't pretend that this about anything other than childcare while parents go back to work.

That’s exactly what this is about. And it all started from this shady pressure group which the Tory headbangers are backing. 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/26/group-campaigning-for-uk-schools-to-reopen-wins-backing-of-17-tory-mps?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

The issue is that Starmer is using this as a reason to get schools to fully open early. Vaccinated teachers won't stop the children spreading it again.

No they won't. 

But vaccinated teachers stand less risk of catching it themselves. 

Sorry mate, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

That’s exactly what this is about. And it all started from this shady pressure group which the Tory headbangers are backing. 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/26/group-campaigning-for-uk-schools-to-reopen-wins-backing-of-17-tory-mps?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It's a tough one this. Online learning for kids doesn't work, but it is the only viable option at the moment. I am also not a teacher, well I am qualified Tutor in the Adult Learning Sector, but not kids. So my 6 year old is not getting the education he deserves or should be getting. Me and Mrs McGonical are trying but we can't give him the focus (and I know I am not alone here in this) as I have to work as well. So the sooner schools are open again the better, for the kids more than anything.

However that should be to the detriment of anyone's safety. But there are other sectors that are in the front line that don't deal with kids and are as much at risk as teachers and people will use this. The issue is that it's a public sector job and people see it as "Well I pay my taxes, they should be in schools teaching my kids as that is there job" And to be honest I understand that to a degree (don't necessarily agree with it), but there are some twats who are just doing it because they can't be arsed trying manage through this. 

Luckily my 2 year old daughter can go to nursery and my all fella has her one day a week, otherwise my lad would get no school work done.

It is about childcare, and the extra pressure from employers and the government to get people working is out of order. There is an expectation that people to continue to work the same as if a pandemic wasn't going on. For me though it is solely about my lads education. We are waiting for him to get assessed for ADHD/Autism, and until that happens he is expected (by the government) to achieve all the work he has been set in 2 x 1 hour windows (That is all we can allocate during our already fully booked out days due to work) we have to get it done with him. It's not fair on him (or any other kid for that matter) the whole things is a mess. 

And the fact that loads of parents are taking the piss with "key worker" status and piling pressure on the schools is out of order as well. My lad got offered a place for his support needs, but we decided not to due to him probably being happier at home. The good thing is that the school aren't putting the pressure on it all getting done and are showing understanding towards a families work/life situation. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

No they won't. 

Do they though? Where is the evidence as it keeps changing all the time. And there isn't enough time to have passed to establish whether that is the case. It takes a year before they can at least report decent findings doesn't it?

7 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Do they though? Where is the evidence as it keeps changing all the time. And there isn't enough time to have passed to establish whether that is the case. It takes a year before they can at least report decent findings doesn't it?

There is none as yet, it's all guesswork and hope. 

But at the moment, that's all there is.

23 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

No they won't. 

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, and I appreciate your personal reasons for wanting it to happen. My argument is that pressing for teacher vaccinations, whilst welcome, is being done for economic reasons rather than for the well being of children (or staff).

7 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

It's a tough one this. Online learning for kids doesn't work, but it is the only viable option at the moment. I am also not a teacher, well I am qualified Tutor in the Adult Learning Sector, but not kids. So my 6 year old is not getting the education he deserves or should be getting. Me and Mrs McGonical are trying but we can't give him the focus (and I know I am not alone here in this) as I have to work as well. So the sooner schools are open again the better, for the kids more than anything.

However that should be to the detriment of anyone's safety. But there are other sectors that are in the front line that don't deal with kids and are as much at risk as teachers and people will use this. The issue is that it's a public sector job and people see it as "Well I pay my taxes, they should be in schools teaching my kids as that is there job" And to be honest I understand that to a degree (don't necessarily agree with it), but there are some twats who are just doing it because they can't be arsed trying manage through this. 

Luckily my 2 year old daughter can go to nursery and my all fella has her one day a week, otherwise my lad would get no school work done.

It is about childcare, and the extra pressure from employers and the government to get people working is out of order. There is an expectation that people to continue to work the same as if a pandemic wasn't going on. For me though it is solely about my lads education. We are waiting for him to get assessed for ADHD/Autism, and until that happens he is expected (by the government) to achieve all the work he has been set in 2 x 1 hour windows (That is all we can allocate during our already fully booked out days due to work) we have to get it done with him. It's not fair on him (or any other kid for that matter) the whole things is a mess. 

And the fact that loads of parents are taking the piss with "key worker" status and piling pressure on the schools is out of order as well. My lad got offered a place for his support needs, but we decided not to due to him probably being happier at home. The good thing is that the school aren't putting the pressure on it all getting done and are showing understanding towards a families work/life situation. 

This comes down to the government though and they should have extended the furlough scheme to a lot more people which would have enabled more people to be off work and have time to home school their kids to the best of their ability, and also cut down on the amount of kids currently in school. They can afford to award billions in contracts to their mates and on schemes like operation Moonshot so they can afford an expanded furlough for the next 2-3 months while they vaccinate the most vulnerable and key workers. 

I think everyone would agree schools need to be opened asap but it seems madness to do it now while we’re rolling out the vaccine and it’s going well. Personally I’d rather they fucked off this 8th March target when Easter isn’t long afterwards and have after the half term as a potential return date. It’d give us about two and a half months to really ramp things up. 

I’m in a similar situation with my daughter. She’s vulnerable and at increased risk of Covid and attends a special needs school so she can go in but I’ve taken the decision to keep her at home and try my best to school her and work at the same time. I’d rather she missed a few months of school than put her at risk. Plus she’s only four so I don’t think it’ll impact her as much as older kids with exams and so on.

I know loads of people lying about being key workers though to get their kids into school. One person I know is furloughed but has lied and said he’s in work so his kids go to school and he sits at home watching the telly all day. 

• Upvote 2

This EU/AZ thing is mad. Hard to see any way the commissioner can claw back credibility here.

Basically saying "we aren't making enough vaccine so give us theirs", when both the UK and AZ have said "err, no" the response has essentially been the threat of a sanction on our supply chain? Making things worse for everyone in a way that will likely cost lives.

15 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, and I appreciate your personal reasons for wanting it to happen. My argument is that pressing for teacher vaccinations, whilst welcome, is being done for economic reasons rather than for the well being of children (or staff).

I wouldn't argue with that at all, it is all about getting the kids back to school and getting the economy moving.

But my belief, rightly or wrongly is that if kids, being the spreaders they are, are to return to school, then those who teach and care for them while they are there should be offered a vaccination. 

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

My old man gets his today, he’s 73 with COPD so hasn’t been anywhere since last March. Well other than hospital when he had a heart attack at Christmas.  He’s been quite down for a few weeks and the possibility of getting back to a little normality has given him a lift.  

All done. Dad was quite happy when I left.  I gave him the bill for all the running around I’ve done over the last year, must be emotional as he had a tear in his eye. 

• Upvote 5