You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

I've got it as well now.....suppose it was inevitable.

Gives me the nark as barely left house apart from to exercise and take lad the park for months - but with her out at work suppose it was always likely once she got it.

Got to keep it away from the lad now.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Gives me the nark as barely left house apart from to exercise and take lad the park for months - but with her out at work suppose it was always likely once she got it.

All the best mate.

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

Cheers.

Having it easy compared to many, so can't complain.

I'll swing for me tart though bringing it into house!...

On a positive note though you can bring that up for years to come. Start pissing on the seat just for a laugh. 

51 minutes ago, an tha said:

Good luck mate.

What do people think about this?

I think it’s a crazy idea personally. In fact, it’s put me off Starmer quite a bit and I question his judgement on this. 

Honestly don’t see how this helps much with schools opening, surely the biggest problem is that kids bring the virus home and infect their parents/grandparents and vaccinating teachers won’t stop that. 

If we vaccinate the first four groups by the 15th Feb then you’d be pausing the next two groups getting the vaccine for at least a week when they are at a much higher risk of becoming seriously ill than teachers as a whole, and any teachers who fall into the vulnerable categories would be getting vaccinated anyway. 

These are the next two groups in line from the 15th Feb that would be postponed (and there is no guarantee the first four groups will be done by then anyway). 

71A286A0-75B7-471C-A7A4-5E80197C0D3C.jpeg

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I think it’s a crazy idea personally. In fact, it’s put me off Starmer quite a bit and I question his judgement on this. 

Honestly don’t see how this helps much with schools opening, surely the biggest problem is that kids bring the virus home and infect their parents/grandparents and vaccinating teachers won’t stop that. 

If we vaccinate the first four groups by the 15th Feb then you’d be pausing the next two groups getting the vaccine for at least a week when they are at a much bigger risk of becoming seriously ill than teachers as a whole, and any teachers who fall into the vulnerable categories would be getting vaccinated anyway. 

These are the next two groups in line from the 15th Feb that would be postponed (and there is no guarantee the first four groups will be done by then anyway). 

I think they're playing to the gallery of middle class parents who are now fed up with seeing their kids all day, and to a lesser extent, the teaching unions, who probably aren't Starmer's biggest fans anyway. Rayner was on yesterday saying the same thing. I agree with you, it's not the teachers that are the problem, it's the children taking the virus home with them - the biggest factor (I believe) in our astronomical transmission rates.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I'm hoping our shielding neighbour gets his jab soon, we've been doing the shopping for him and his list literally doubles in length by the week, my back is fucked this morning. It's ultra specific too, it's never 'ham' it's 'Jambon de Bayonne' followed by instructions such as 'they sell it on the deli counter but don't buy it if the fat bloke is on there, he doesn't clean his nails'. If there's something missing from his list too he looks like Han Solo after he's just been stabbed. 

If you're doing him a favour and he behaves like that I'd tell him to fuck off.

Just get him bread and water.

38 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

If we vaccinate the first four groups by the 15th Feb then you’d be pausing the next two groups getting the vaccine for at least a week when they are at a much higher risk of becoming seriously ill than teachers as a whole, and any teachers who fall into the vulnerable categories would be getting vaccinated anyway. 

If kids are known spreaders then surely teachers and school staff should be vaccinated.

It makes sense to me. 

Don't forget,  teachers can't wear masks in the classroom. 

3 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

If kids are known spreaders then surely teachers and school staff should be vaccinated.

It makes sense to me. 

Don't forget,  teachers can't wear masks in the classroom. 

No one is saying teachers shouldn’t be vaccinated. The question is should they be bumped up the queue and vaccinated before elderly people and people with underlying conditions. Because that is what Starmer is asking for. 

Considering the issue with schools is that they act as vectors of transmission in the community, and vaccinating teachers won’t stop that, and they’re not even open anyway then delaying the vaccinations of people at greater risk of covid is immoral. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

No one is saying teachers shouldn’t be vaccinated. The question is should they be bumped up the queue and vaccinated before elderly people and people with underlying conditions. Because that is what Starmer is asking for. 

Considering the issue with schools is that they act as vectors of transmission in the community, and vaccinating teachers won’t stop that, and they’re not even open anyway then delaying the vaccinations of people at greater risk of covid is immoral. 

It's a difficult one really, but I think it's no bad thing to vaccinate those who really are at risk teaching our kids.

Where there is a known and acknowledged risk, then they should be vaccinated. 

Same with the Bizzies having knobheads claiming to have Covid and spitting at them.

The Bizzies might not be all sweetness and light sometimes and are very often ineffective, but we'd be fucked without them.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

It's a difficult one really, but I think it's no bad thing to vaccinate those who really are at risk teaching our kids.

Where there is a known and acknowledged risk, then they should be vaccinated. 

Same with the Bizzies having knobheads claiming to have Covid and spitting at them.

The Bizzies might not be all sweetness and light sometimes and are very often ineffective, but we'd be fucked without them.

They’re not really at risk though compared to the people Starmer wants to push down the list for them. That is the point. Any vulnerable/elderly teachers will be vaccinated with the other people in the same cohort when it is their turn. 

This will essentially be vaccinating younger and healthy teachers ahead of people identified by the JCVI as being at greater risk of serious illness from Covid. 

And like I’ve said schools aren’t open and this will be unlikely to help much with the problem when they do reopen, which is they increase transmission in the community. 

I’m all for vaccinating anyone on the front line, teachers, police, supermarket workers etc... but only once the most vulnerable have had their jab. 

Agree with Rapey here. These vaccines aren’t confirmed to break the chain of COVID transmission, they make much more unlikely the chance of individuals who’ve had one becoming seriously unwell/dying from COVID. The likelier someone is to become severely ill with COVID, the higher they should be in the queue for my money. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

They’re not really at risk though compared to the people Starmer wants to push down the list for them. That is the point. Any vulnerable/elderly teachers will be vaccinated with the other people in the same cohort when it is their turn. 

This will essentially be vaccinating younger and healthy teachers ahead of people identified by the JCVI as being at greater risk of serious illness from Covid. 

And like I’ve said schools aren’t open and this will be unlikely to help much with the problem when they do reopen, which is they increase transmission in the community. 

I’m all for vaccinating anyone on the front line, teachers, police, supermarket workers etc... but only once the most vulnerable have had their jab. 

Of course I agree the first 4 groups should be vaccinated first, (I am in one of them), but the date given for completion of this was the 15th of February which roughly ties in with what Starmer is advocating.

Schools are officially closed, but they're not really, they're open for the children of key workers. 

My Missus is the caretaker of a primary school which usually has over 300 pupils, with about 100 attending now, plus 2 nurseries, 1 for 2 year olds and under and 1 for 3-4 year olds.

Because the children are so young, they sometimes aren't toilet trained and certainly can't or don't clean themselves properly and so the nursery staff have to see to them.

This is high risk with Covid. Should they be denied the vaccine until later in the year?

And like I said earlier, teachers aren't allowed to wear masks so in a room with children, known spreaders and the reason schools were 'closed' in the first place, I agree that teachers and school staff, cleaners who do Covid risky jobs get vaccinated.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Of course I agree the first 4 groups should be vaccinated first, (I am in one of them), but the date given for completion of this was the 15th of February which roughly ties in with what Starmer is advocating.

Schools are officially closed, but they're not really, they're open for the children of key workers. 

My Missus is the caretaker of a primary school which usually has over 300 pupils, with about 100 attending now, plus 2 nurseries, 1 for 2 year olds and under and 1 for 3-4 year olds.

Because the children are so young, they sometimes aren't toilet trained and certainly can't or don't clean themselves properly and so the nursery staff have to see to them.

This is high risk with Covid. Should they be denied the vaccine until later in the year?

And like I said earlier, teachers aren't allowed to wear masks so in a room with children, known spreaders and the reason schools were 'closed' in the first place, I agree that teachers and school staff, cleaners who do Covid risky jobs get vaccinated.

There are nine groups of vulnerable people to be vaccinated. After the first four are vaccinated the plan is to do the next five groups from the 15th February. What Starmer is asking for, and you seemingly agree with, is for those other groups to be delayed even though they’re at more risk. 

Teachers and people who work in schools are not at more risk of serious illness from Covid than the people in the other five groups, unless they are in those groups themselves. And if they are they will be eligible for a jab anyway. 

I work with a 68 year old man with diabetes and high blood pressure who has had go into the office since August every week using public transport. This would delay him getting vaccinated so younger and healthier school staff can jump the queue ahead of him. Clearly this is wrong. 

And btw my wife works in a nursery and my mum in a school so I’m well aware of the situation there. But my wife is much less likely to be seriously ill from Covid than the people in categories 5-9.

• Upvote 6