You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

The way the "new variants" have been mediatized is pretty weird, to be honest. The word's been overused now but it does look like a lot of scaremongering. Not by scientists, they have a right to be concerned because they actually study this stuff, but by the media. A couple changes to the virus, of which there are like thousands anyway, and all of a sudden the vaccines are in peril and it's infecting everybody 70% easier. Like, slow down.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The way the "new variants" have been mediatized is pretty weird, to be honest. The word's been overused now but it does look like a lot of scaremongering. Not by scientists, they have a right to be concerned because they actually study this stuff, but by the media. A couple changes to the virus, of which there are like thousands anyway, and all of a sudden the vaccines are in peril and it's infecting everybody 70% easier. Like, slow down.

You're correct, it's scaremongering but it's required.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

To be fair, you went on holiday, which you were entitled to do, but then came on here, moaning about your wife moaning about having to stay in for a couple of weeks, when plenty of people haven’t felt safe or comfortable leaving the house for months and months on end.

Did he go anywhere nice?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55768627

It may arguably just about be possible for it to be ‘more deadly’ for seriously unwell people to arrive at an ICU department which is bursting at the seams and needing to decant patients to other parts of the country - always going to be the inevitable outcome of stopping a national lockdown on 2nd December and letting the virus increase in the population for 3 weeks before then allowing the ideal circumstances for mass transmission - you risible, hateful, pitifully inadequate, child’s brain, amateur human being cunt.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Poster said:

The latest plan (in the news today) a one off payment of £500 for those that test positive. An encouragement to some to catch it and the tories 'herd immunity' plan about to ramp up.

By the time the Tories have subcontracted the payment to a payment company of their choice the people that test positive will only get about £35.00 anyway. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

By the time the Tories have subcontracted the payment to a payment company of their choice the people that test positive will only get about £35.00 anyway. 

£400 quid fine for flouting, 500 payment for getting, isnt that 100 quid up in the covid cunts charter?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Because people spend a lot more time outdoors?

The numbers went up within 2/3 weeks of schools opening. Either that was a coincidence or there was a direct link.

34 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Is it THAT simple? Seems unlikely.  We still all went to lots of indoor venues, shopping was the same as now, tube, train, restaurants.  

As for school, didn't they go back for a while in June? 

If memory serves, primary schools opened on June 1st and schools opened for exams June 15th. I'm pretty sure they just ran exams in schools at that point. Then summer holidays would have kicked in between mid-late July with full re-opening in early September.

By 13th September infections had risen to just over 21,000 in that week, with just over 12,000 the previous week. The numbers kept climbing every week to the peek number of infections of around 177,000 in a week at the end of November. The numbers were climbing all the time to that point.

As I say, it's either a coincidence or there was a direct link. One of the local schools (called Darrick Wood in Bickley) shut down a week earlier than all other schools as the virus had litterrally ripped through the school. Every year, every class had cases. Literally every class had to self-isolate about three weeks before Christmas. They wanted to reopen the schools for the final week before Christmas but all the parents refused to let the kids go back. By then, the infection rates were rocketing and we started seeing crazy death rates in January. Probably the new variant was ripping through the schools.

57 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Is it THAT simple? Seems unlikely.  We still all went to lots of indoor venues, shopping was the same as now, tube, train, restaurants.  

As for school, didn't they go back for a while in June? 

Not that simple, no, it will be a variety of factors. Seasonal viruses thrive in the winter because of the whole indoor/outdoor thing but we don’t know enough about COVID yet.

5 hours ago, Brownie said:

Not that simple, no, it will be a variety of factors. Seasonal viruses thrive in the winter because of the whole indoor/outdoor thing but we don’t know enough about COVID yet.

This. Nobody knows but there are a bell of a lot of coincidences and lie it or not lockdown sceptics.... they work 

On 22/01/2021 at 05:49, Poster said:

The latest plan (in the news today) a one off payment of £500 for those that test positive. An encouragement to some to catch it and the tories 'herd immunity' plan about to ramp up.

Not sure if his has been said already but Liverpool Council have been offering this for ages. But only if you can prove you are destitute. 

My GP sent me to A and E last night for these chest pains I've been having - they appeared during my bout of Covid and I've never had them before - I've always been generally fit and well and never been in hospital for anything other than physio. She even booked a fucking ambulance! I told her to leave it and I got a taxi instead as she wouldn't let me drive (PANIC STATIONS).

They're seeing similar things in quite a lot of Covid patients. Various tests done, heart was absolutely smashing through my chest my blood pressure was rocketing. But the good news is all the test results were ok - ECG, chest X ray, bloods. Got to go back soon for an Echocardiogram, but that's only precaution. I guess the bad news is they don't actually know what it is - a non-specific condition.

The long and short is people who've had Covid are getting stuck with all sorts of after effects. When you consider the number of people who have had it, the NHS is going to be busy for a long time. 

Some virus though - it's like chemical warfare.

• Upvote 7