You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Regardless of whether it's as quiet as March, I would fully expect a virus to be suppressed when hardly anything is open and the vast majority of people are just sitting at home.

Do you not think that for a strain that is supposedly 70% more contagious, that the drop off has been more significant that you would expect? I reckon it's probably mildly more contagious and that the government have just used it as an excuse to explain the spread, when really they just weren't on their shit.

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Do you not think that for a strain that is supposedly 70% more contagious, that the drop off has been more significant that you would expect? I reckon it's probably mildly more contagious and that the government have just used it as an excuse to explain the spread, when really they just weren't on their shit.

I wouldn't really know what to expect mate. If it was just the government talking about the variant then I'd be sceptical but the stuff I've read and watched from scientists is saying the same.

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

I wouldn't really know what to expect mate. If it was just the government talking about the variant then I'd be sceptical but the stuff I've read and watched from scientists is saying the same.

Lots of scientists I follow on Twitter saying that there is not enough evidence yet to suggest that it as that much more contagious.

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Why do you reckon anything, you haven’t a fucking clue about any of this!!! As proved in virtually every fucking page.  The Telegraph got their knuckles rapped hard for peddling your pet theories.  Clown. 

17 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Which scientists mate?

Balloux was sceptical. I can't find others just now as I'm busy at work, but the general line was that different variants becoming dominant does not necessarily indicate that it is more contagious. Variants all take their turn "leading the race"if you like. Balloux said the claims made were very specific, so would be easily disproved in time if it was not truly 70% more infectious - I have not checked for any updates for a few days, so I might be out of date.

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Balloux was sceptical. I can't find others just now as I'm busy at work, but the general line was that different variants becoming dominant does not necessarily indicate that it is more contagious. Variants all take their turn "leading the race"if you like. Balloux said the claims made were very specific, so would be easily disproved in time if it was not truly 70% more infectious - I have not checked for any updates for a few days, so I might be out of date.

Unbelievable 

39 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Which scientists mate?

Anne - Triple divorcee from Horsham

Dave - UKIP Member from Barnstaple

Sid the Sexist 

20 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Hahaha no shit 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Anne - Triple divorcee from Horsham

Dave - UKIP Member from Barnstaple

Sid the Sexist 

Hahaha no shit 

You have a problem with Balloux?

I think he's walked this straight down the middle all the way. He predicted a second wave, so surely he ticks some boxes for you.

Just now, Pete said:

This thing is never fucking off is it? Even when the majority of the world is jabbed it'll still be around waiting to wreak havoc again.  

Hard to tell, and depends on how it mutates, an if the mutations effect the various vaccines efficacy. You'd like to think that once the majority of people are vaccinated it will die out. The more cases, the more spreading and chances of significant mutations. If the cases are dwindling to almost nothing, it might just die off.

A big test will be if the developed world, once vaccinated, continue on an ensure the developing world are vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

This thing is never fucking off is it? Even when the majority of the world is jabbed it'll still be around waiting to wreak havoc again.  

It will always be there and we’ll have to regularly be vaccinated against different strains I think.

As a race, we need to make sure that we avoid this happening again.

There has to be a global strategy for killing off these things before we get to this point.

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

It will always be there and we’ll have to regularly be vaccinated against different strains I think.

As a race, we need to make sure that we avoid this happening again.

There has to be a global strategy for killing off these things before we get to this point.

Starting with our relationship between animals and food production methods.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

You have a problem with Balloux?

I think he's walked this straight down the middle all the way. He predicted a second wave, so surely he ticks some boxes for you.

It's just the name mate. Keep your nickers on. 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Long term, no coronavirus has proven to be that serious for the human race. The others just cause a common cold. 

I reckon we'll see a repeat of the Russian Flu (which is now understood to be a coronavirus). That arrived in 1889, killed a million people (which was a fucking lot at the time) and gradually through it mutating and our immune system learning to cope, it just became another cause of the common cold.

21 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Long term, no coronavirus has proven to be that serious for the human race. The others just cause a common cold. 

I reckon we'll see a repeat of the Russian Flu (which is now understood to be a coronavirus). That arrived in 1889, killed a million people (which was a fucking lot at the time) and gradually through it mutating and our immune system learning to cope, it just became another cause of the common cold.

A million people in Russia hasn't proven to be that serious for the human race? The current one having killed over a million people plus the economic and mental impact that will follow wont prove to be that serious for the human race? 

Good piece here about the future of the virus and it eventually becoming like the cold, as others have said this has happened in the past. 

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/01/11/science.abe6522

I'm not sure about comparisons with the flu, from what I've read the flu is so unstable that the vaccine has to be tweaked every year to keep up, even these new covid variants are predicted to be susceptible to the current vaccine.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

A million people in Russia hasn't proven to be that serious for the human race? The current one having killed over a million people plus the economic and mental impact that will follow wont prove to be that serious for the human race? 

It was a global pandemic, it killed fuck loads of people. I made that patently clear. What I am saying is that in the fullness of time, I don't think it will be responsible for a large number of deaths on an ongoing basis.

Covid has killed over 2 million now btw.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It was a global pandemic, it killed fuck loads of people. I made that patently clear. What I am saying is that in the fullness of time, I don't think it will be responsible for a large number of deaths on an ongoing basis.

Covid has killed over 2 million now btw.

My guess is it will always kill more than the flu.