You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

There are things that are hard to fathom about this variant. Like, it was identified in April, so what took it so long to become dominant? Also it's common for strains to have periods of dominance without being more transmissible. Scientifically speaking there is still a lot to understand about how much more virulent this strain is, but in the media, it's a forgone conclusion.

15 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

There are things that are hard to fathom about this variant. Like, it was identified in April, so what took it so long to become dominant? Also it's common for strains to have periods of dominance without being more transmissible. Scientifically speaking there is still a lot to understand about how much more virulent this strain is, but in the media, it's a forgone conclusion.

Lockdowns? If social distancing impacts one strain and not the other, then surely that will become dominant? 

10 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Are you saying that all of the scientists who appear at the press conferences are lying and part of a big conspiracy ? 

I haven't watched one of those press conferences for months now so I want comment on them specifically. Are some scientists capable of knowing which side their bread is buttered? Too fucking right some of them are, they don't have to lie, there will be elements of truth in there and no straight out lies. It is a new variant and its highly transmissible, what I have read about it is that its still open for debate just how much more transmissible it is. As far as I know hardly any of the tests are actually sent on to confirm what variant it is. I also find the South African variant very convenient too, it was like hold on a minute,  this was supposed to be for the BBC's consumption only. They weren't supposed to shut borders and blame everything on us. Best get another country involved and share the slack, as I said there has been over 4000 different variants, none of them had been labelled by their location up until that point.

I'm not questioning the severity of the virus or the numbers or any of that jazz, I'm just questioning the timing and labeling of variant 4001. The Irish government tried it on a couple of weeks back when blame was heading their way, they threw out the UK variant as a cause when the facts showed only a tiny number of tests had that strain. I reached the stage a long time ago where I realised these cunts just love lying even when they don't need to, you can't take anything they say seriously, its best to consider it a bare faced lie.

5 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

That's just learned behavior,  a virus mutates rapidly usually through 2 types of mutation (drift or shift) , they change to suit the environment they are in and adapt to that very quickly, this variant is suited to the environment it is in and hence is now the dominant variant, and as such will replicate much quicker giving more offspring and more infected people.

I reckon it's most likely the new variant came about via recombination with either another human or it could be it has mutated via substitution with flu and that's why it can infect cells easier.

If like it is suggested the reason for spread is because it blooms in the throat and nose more than the lungs then it is acting in a more flu like way.

It is also becoming dominant in warm climates... so not sure how that works. I think they have traced it back and identified it mutating while existing for a long time in an immunosuppressed individual. Not sure how the hell they have figured that out either.

Has anyone heard of any elderly relatives being offered the vaccine in the primary care setting yet?  Hearing it's starting to be rolled out in Liverpool this week but only the Pfizer (the "should not wait more than 21 days") one.  Would the elderly even check? Would you check if it was your parent? And what the hell are you meant to do for the best if they currently only offer the Pfizer?

I’ve been busy today, but I got the gist he’d said something stupid, but fucking hell.

Totally unfit for a management role in a call centre let alone the highest in office in the land.

Don’t forget that the coronavirus pandemic was the product of an imbalance in man’s relationship with the natural world.

Like the original plague which struck the Greeks I seem to remember in book one of the Iliad, it is a zoonotic disease. It originates from bats or pangolins, from the demented belief that if you grind up the scales of a pangolin you will somehow become more potent or whatever it is people believe, it originates from this collision between mankind and the natural world and we’ve got to stop it.’

Just as we’re cut adrift from the largest trading bloc on the planet, with few friends and a lot of old foes looking to settle decade old scores he says this shit?

Fucking hell.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I’ve been busy today, but I got the gist he’d said something stupid, but fucking hell.

Totally unfit for a management role in a call centre let alone the highest in office in the land.

Don’t forget that the coronavirus pandemic was the product of an imbalance in man’s relationship with the natural world.

Like the original plague which struck the Greeks I seem to remember in book one of the Iliad, it is a zoonotic disease. It originates from bats or pangolins, from the demented belief that if you grind up the scales of a pangolin you will somehow become more potent or whatever it is people believe, it originates from this collision between mankind and the natural world and we’ve got to stop it.’

Just as we’re cut adrift from the largest trading bloc on the planet, with few friends and a lot of old foes looking to settle decade old scores he says this shit?

Fucking hell.

He's actually come out and said that????? 

1 hour ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

That's just learned behavior,  a virus mutates rapidly usually through 2 types of mutation (drift or shift) , they change to suit the environment they are in and adapt to that very quickly, this variant is suited to the environment it is in and hence is now the dominant variant, and as such will replicate much quicker giving more offspring and more infected people.

I reckon it's most likely the new variant came about via recombination with either another human or it could be it has mutated via substitution with flu and that's why it can infect cells easier.

If like it is suggested the reason for spread is because it blooms in the throat and nose more than the lungs then it is acting in a more flu like way.

Wife's mate said her mum has had the first jab and is booked in soon for the second. In her 80's and lives in Fazakerley.

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah, it's a bit depressing when realise you live in a country were a significant portion of the population are complete twats. It wasn't always like this, was it? 

Yes it was and always has been, it's just that there wasn't a situation to highlight it like this one has.