You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

23 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Maybe should have worded it differently. I'm saying that I feel not believing the governments narrative is understandable. As for scientists, then there were many views and they were embellished and portrayed by media in different ways. citation:https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4425

Things weren't making much sense for a long time. Their messaging was absolutely shite and continues to be so. It would have been far more sensible to treat people as adults. Explain what were known to be facts, where there was doubt etc. 

I've literally never heard the word penitent before. Excellent word.

I should neg you for never having watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, skaro said:

Privately flying in tennis players for the Australian Open.

Confined to their quarantine hotel rooms when not playing.

Ordinary Australians, of course, still stuck overseas and being bumped off their flights daily, often time and time again.

Money changes everything.

What a wonderful world.

Didn't they stop a match mid way through as one of the fellas had covid?

Vaccines aside, there's a grim inevitability about how nature moves through a population the way it does. Was reading a thing the other day about how the Czechs had built emergency morgues, yet in April they were doing a giant conga to celebrate the fact they'd 'beaten Covid'. 

Lockdown measures to an extent kick the can down the road and the new variant is a direct result of social distancing measures, which saw the original virus go into decline and get replaced by a new one that can overcome these measures more easily. Sooner or later it's gonna come back and do its shit. The only time it stops - if you haven't developed a vaccine - is when it's either killed you, or you've fought it off. Maybe that's why the demographic of victim is younger in this wave, because the elderly people who were going to succumb have sadly already passed away - pretty sure the exact same thing happened with the Spanish Flu's second wave. 

They've handled this so fucking badly though. If they could have kept a lid on it with stricter, earlier lockdowns before Christmas and not spread the message that we could eat, drink and be merry, we wouldn't be anywhere near the level of hospitalisations that we are now and we could have 'held the line' while we rolled out the vaccines. 

Before the vaccines, there was an element of tradeoff in how we handled this, measuring Covid cases against businesses closed, suicides, other operations etc. 

Now though, with vaccines, every life lost to Covid is a life wasted. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Vaccines aside, there's a grim inevitability about how nature moves through a population the way it does. Was reading a thing the other day about how the Czechs had built emergency morgues, yet in April they were doing a giant conga to celebrate the fact they'd 'beaten Covid'. 

Lockdown measures to an extent kick the can down the road and the new variant is a direct result of social distancing measures, which saw the original virus go into decline and get replaced by a new one that can overcome these measures more easily. Sooner or later it's gonna come back and do its shit. The only time it stops - if you haven't developed a vaccine - is when it's either killed you, or you've fought it off. Maybe that's why the demographic of victim is younger in this wave, because the elderly people who were going to succumb have sadly already passed away - pretty sure the exact same thing happened with the Spanish Flu's second wave. 

They've handled this so fucking badly though. If they could have kept a lid on it with stricter, earlier lockdowns before Christmas and not spread the message that we could eat, drink and be merry, we wouldn't be anywhere near the level of hospitalisations that we are now and we could have 'held the line' while we rolled out the vaccines. 

Before the vaccines, there was an element of tradeoff in how we handled this, measuring Covid cases against businesses closed, suicides, other operations etc. 

I don’t think the demographic is younger in this wave to be honest, at least the data doesn’t suggest that anyway. The % of hospitalisations across age groups is the same as it was in April anyway, so there isn’t the evidence to suggest it’s any different in that sense.

We should have gone for a strategy to eliminate COVID completely.

4 hours ago, skaro said:

Privately flying in tennis players for the Australian Open.

Confined to their quarantine hotel rooms when not playing.

Ordinary Australians, of course, still stuck overseas and being bumped off their flights daily, often time and time again.

Money changes everything.

What a wonderful world.

One of my wife's best friends lives in Adelaide and she is absolutely thrilled that a large number of foreign people are to be flown in and stationed in her city which has fought the virus very well, particularly as the tournament is actually in Melbourne.

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think the demographic is younger in this wave to be honest, at least the data doesn’t suggest that anyway. The % of hospitalisations across age groups is the same as it was in April anyway, so there isn’t the evidence to suggest it’s any different in that sense.

We should have gone for a strategy to eliminate COVID completely.

Maybe it's the news trying to shit people up perhaps, I dunno, but all the reports I keep seeing are about how the people they're getting in ICU now are younger than in March. Guy on ITN last night said averaging in the 50s and 60s but they had people in their 30s and 40s. 

Under 40 still statistically a lot less likely to be admitted, I turned 40 last year. Great timing. Wonder if Covid has a strict cutoff date? Like 18-30s? 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Maybe it's the news trying to shit people up perhaps, I dunno, but all the reports I keep seeing are about how the people they're getting in ICU now are younger than in March. Guy on ITN last night said averaging in the 50s and 60s but they had people in there 30s and 40s. 

Under 40 still statistically a lot less likely to be admitted, I turned 40 last year. Great timing. Wonder if Covid has a strict cutoff date? Like 18-30s? 

I think it might be their way of scaring the population into compliance.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

That's pure speculation, as is my theory that the new strain has stemmed from being allowed to jump from kids to adults. 

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

That's pure speculation, as is my theory that the new strain has stemmed from being allowed to jump from kids to adults. 

Stands to reason though surely? That's how natural selection works, a variant of a virus that can transmit more easily  that evolves due to a freak mutation, gradually replaces the previous version because that version spreads less easily - due to social distancing. The virus went into decline during the November lockdown except the one place where the new variant was rife, Kent (apparently). 

31 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Stands to reason though surely? That's how natural selection works, a variant of a virus that can transmit more easily  that evolves due to a freak mutation, gradually replaces the previous version because that version spreads less easily - due to social distancing. The virus went into decline during the November lockdown except the one place where the new variant was rife, Kent (apparently). 

But this variant has been around for months without becoming dominant. Maybe it's better at transmitting in winter weather conditions, or maybe the other dominant variant mutated and became less contagious. The scientists don't even know.  

50 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Maybe it's the news trying to shit people up perhaps, I dunno, but all the reports I keep seeing are about how the people they're getting in ICU now are younger than in March. Guy on ITN last night said averaging in the 50s and 60s but they had people in their 30s and 40s. 

I think there are simply just more people in ICU now, and therefore more young people than before. There doesn't seem to be any actual science to suggest that it affects younger people worse than before. There are just 70000 fucking positive cases every day because the UK has the worst government anyway in Western Europe for several decades.

The ICU figures in about 7-10 days are going to look horrendous. Similarly the deaths about a week after that.

40 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not necessarily. In nature it is very unusual for something to learn how to do something it cannot do, until it has done it once. As an example, a crocodile will not attack anything in the water that is larger than itself as in it's DNA it is programmed to believe it will lose a fight with something bigger. But a crocodile will fight something bigger than itself if it is attacked. If it wins, it now knows that it CAN attack things bigger than itself and it has just become an extremely dangerous animal. But another crocodile seeing thay happen won't believe that it's possible for them. THEY would have to go through that.

So if the virus was dying out, it wouldn't know how to multiply itself. With children, the virus is unable to multiply itself effectively in every child. But it knows how to transmit. So is it possible that a virus has learned that if it cannot perform in it's current host that it will wait until it's within range of another host and transmit?

It's all theories and they all could have their validations and drawbacks.

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think there are simply just more people in ICU now, and therefore more young people than before. There doesn't seem to be any actual science to suggest that it affects younger people worse than before. There are just 70000 fucking positive cases every day because the UK has the worst government anyway in Western Europe for several decades.

The ICU figures in about 7-10 days are going to look horrendous. Similarly the deaths about a week after that.

In the brief reopening before Christmas I trained a girl who was visiting her grandma from Dubai to drive an automatic car. Just a couple of lessons as that's all there was time for. She also asked me to start training her brother. She didn't need to quarantine when she got here (the numbers in Dubai are incredibly low as they are super strict managing it). She said she was shocked at how people here can do whatever they want with no repurcussions at all. Just before Christmas we obviously stopped again and the numbers were beginning to increase. I haven't heard from her since past Christmas and New Year have passed, which is surpising as mostly I am keeping in touch with people.

As she was living with her Grandma, I'm guessing she has decided to fuck this shit with Herpes and hot-foot back to Dubai with her brother and Grandma where they know exactly what they are doing.

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

In the brief reopening before Christmas I trained a girl who was visiting her grandma from Dubai to drive an automatic car. Just a couple of lessons as that's all there was time for. She also asked me to start training her brother. She didn't need to quarantine when she got here (the numbers in Dubai are incredibly low as they are super strict managing it). She said she was shocked at how people here can do whatever they want with no repurcussions at all. Just before Christmas we obviously stopped again and the numbers were beginning to increase. I haven't heard from her since past Christmas and New Year have passed, which is surpising as mostly I am keeping in touch with people.

As she was living with her Grandma, I'm guessing she has decided to fuck this shit with Herpes and hot-foot back to Dubai with her brother and Grandma where they know exactly what they are doing.

There are some governments that are as incompetent, and others as hateful, but rarely have they been combined to such a degree in recent times in the developed world. That 40% of the country still supports them, even taking into account that the UK has comfortably the worst media in Western Europe as well, reflects really really fucking badly on the population.

I not buying this new variant, its just too convenient to be true. The biggest shower of lying wasters ever assembled went through their book of 3 word slogans and came up with "the new variant" or "the English variant ". Its just not plausible that it has shown up at a time when the UK had lost control again. They knew the numbers they were looking at where heading towards catastrophe and decided to do what they always do and blamed someone else or in this case something else.

Its much more likely that this highly contagious virus spread because of lack of action from the British government that led to people being more careless. Taking the cluster fuck that is Brexit away from the headlines can't have hurt them too much either.

• Upvote 1