You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

I wonder how long before this company originally set up by the vaccines deployment minister gets a nice fat Govt contract 

FAMILY OF VACCINE MINISTER Sets Up Medical Company

zahawi-910x0-c-default.jpg
The wife of Vaccine Deployment Minister Nadhim Zahawi is the owner and director of a newly-established medical company, Companies House records show.

The politician resigned his official role in the company in January 2018, after being appointed as an Education Minister, transferring his shares to Lana Saib. It is believed that Zahawi and Zahawi holds a property portfolio of at least £25 million.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/04/vaccine-minister-nadhim-zahawi-family-set-up-medical-company/

Tuesday. All. The big deals happen on a Tuesday. 

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So, what new information did the lying cunt get today to overturn his insistence on "get back to school" line?

How the fuck does he justify denying schools and parents the chance to plan properly for the closures?

Cunt.

The thing is, if there was a general election tomorrow people would still vote for them. It's astonishing.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Knew I should have got my hair cut today. Fuck sake.

I went nearly 6 months last time! Looked like Guy Fawkes initially, but then started to look like my Auntie which freaked me out. 

Tempted to do something mental this time and just shave the very top, front part of my head to look like Shakespeare? 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I’ve no idea what the answer is but I think the fallout from yet another hideous lockdown are going to be utterly catastrophic and long term will be worse than this virus. The future is going to be fucking horrible.

It's grim but the vaccines work and spring/summer will bring some natural relief. New Zealand and Australia have relaxed their restrictions because it's their summer (and also because new Zealand especially has handled it better).

The Northern Ireland correspondent on the beeb last night was saying cases are falling there in the over 80s even though they're going up in other age groups and they suspect it's because of the vaccine.

The biggest problem in all this is Boris Johnson and his cabinet. I've said on here before that humans can cope with anything, no matter how horrific, but they can't cope with uncertainty and unpredictability. With Johnson that's all you get, along with lies, which means you can't even fully trust what would appear to be good news.

If he'd cancelled Christmas weeks ago people could deal with that, rather than being told days before. If schools were designated for closure a week ago they'd cope with that, rather than a day after they opened.

During the war people faced horrors but they were consistent and predictable horrors. Routines set in, and that helps people cope.

If this lot were in charge back then you'd be told one day you could leave your lights on at night, then be told you can't. One day you'd be told to eat chocolate and jam, the next day told you can't. One day you'd be told we were going to 'kick Hitler in the goolies' by Saturday lunchtime, next day you'd be told to build a bomb shelter.

I'll say it forever, they're vile, incompetent scum and their party and all its supporters are the enemy within and an existential threat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

During the war people faced horrors but they were consistent and predictable horrors. Routines set in, and that helps people cope.

People are far less conditioned to face horrors these days, not because those horrors are inconsistent and unpredictable, but because people are now fed fear, entitlement, outrage, you name it, in megadoses that would have made people during the war's brains explode.

My Mum spent the first 10 years of her life as a displaced person in Germany, during and post-war.

A family of 4, living in various single-room digs.

As unpredictable and inconsistent as fuck, moving from single room to single room, around Northern Germany, at the drop of a hat.  

A piece of piss, the best years of her life, she claims... from what she can remember... compared with what she sees, reads and hears these days.

She can't watch the fucking news, worries about going to the supermarket or for a cup of coffee - so settles instead for incessant re-runs of The Golden Girls.

The hyper-manipulation of hyper-sensitivity - and of course the usual greed and subversion that is humanity's traditional calling card - dressed up as the normality of everyday life, infused into our morning tea and coffee and biscuits... is civilisation's primary industry now.

• Upvote 6

We absolutely needed this lockdown, of that there is no doubt but the handling of it is a fucking disgrace. They know they fucked up constantly last year. Late in locking us down despite what was happening in Italy, not enforcing social distancing rules with things like VE Day (They should have been all over the TV saying do not celebrate in groups but they wanted people to just do it so they can begin deflecting any blame), Cummings trip and subsequent ignorance and then lies, Eat out Help Out, Schools back with no proper plans in place, a half-arsed lockdown in November, mixed messages over xmas rules knowing full well that people will break whatever is in place for that day it goes on and on. 

Granted, a lot of people have and continue to be stupid selfish wankers but the government have got this all wrong from day 1. It will be all our fault though. 

This needs to be a militant 6 week full lockdown. Any protest marches should be dealt with properly and by that I mean the lot thrown in fucking jail. 

We are all sick to death of these restrictions but what choice is there when people continue to treat it like the common flu and continue spreading it. 

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's grim but the vaccines work and spring/summer will bring some natural relief. New Zealand and Australia have relaxed their restrictions because it's their summer (and also because new Zealand especially has handled it better).

The Northern Ireland correspondent on the beeb last night was saying cases are falling there in the over 80s even though they're going up in other age groups and they suspect it's because of the vaccine.

The biggest problem in all this is Boris Johnson and his cabinet. I've said on here before that humans can cope with anything, no matter how horrific, but they can't cope with uncertainty and unpredictability. With Johnson that's all you get, along with lies, which means you can't even fully trust what would appear to be good news.

If he'd cancelled Christmas weeks ago people could deal with that, rather than being told days before. If schools were designated for closure a week ago they'd cope with that, rather than a day after they opened.

If this lot were in charge back then you'd be told one day you could leave your lights on at night, then be told you can't. One day you'd be told to eat chocolate and jam, the next day told you can't. One day you'd be told we were going to 'kick Hitler in the goolies' by Saturday lunchtime, next day you'd be told to build a bomb shelter.

I'll say it forever, they're vile, incompetent scum and their party and all its supporters are the enemy within and an existential threat.

Absolutely this.

How was school ok yesterday for kids and not today and the next six weeks. Obviously we know but as has been pointed out, the worst of both worlds was letting the little virus monsters mingle yesterday anyway. Quite how someone that is supposed to be leading us goes from schools are safe to schools are dangerous in the space of less than a day is mind boggling. The evidence that schools are a danger must have been there before Monday, in fact we know from various recommendations that it was there and he either just ignored it or he's off his head. 

My daughter told me that they started to give primary school kids the flu vaccine the the other year in order to protect grandparents, as it's often grandkids that infect their elderly grandparents. So knowing this and with the recommendations, how can you let them go back, even for one day? Be assured that without huge pressure he would have continued his policy of letting kids go back to school. 

You could understand mistakes being made at the start, nobody was quite sure what was going on and even with the news from Italy and Spain it was still largely unknown territory. But they've had so long to put simple measures in place and yet it appears they haven't in many cases, often leading to increased risk and costs. For instance they knew they would need a lot of people to carry out the vaccinations, but from reports the red tape is putting lots of people off. Even dentists who carry out hundreds of injections a week are baffled at the red tape put in their way when they try to offer their services. 

It was pretty obvious that at some point this winter we would face a lockdown in order once again for the NHS to not be crippled. Preparing the public for this should in my opinion, have been the strategy. Not bluster and blatant lies. 

The only conclusions you can draw are that Johnson is completely insane, a coward, incompetent, actively wants to kill the very vulnerable (a known tory policy) or all of it. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I mean I hope I’m wrong obviously and it’s real rock and a hard place stuff for sure but I honestly don’t think most are alive to how grim the fallout from these lockdowns is going to be. Coupled with Brexit It’s going to be real four horsemen shit. Terrible times.

I think most are absolutely aware to be honest. It's those who aren't aware how deadly this virus is if we let it cut through the population is that worry me. People are resilient and can recover from pretty much anything, except death. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I mean I hope I’m wrong obviously and it’s real rock and a hard place stuff for sure but I honestly don’t think most are alive to how grim the fallout from these lockdowns is going to be. Coupled with Brexit It’s going to be real four horsemen shit. Terrible times.

It's not all beer and skittles anywhere, mate.

Wait til employers here in Australia, in March, lose their government wage subsidy - and can no longer get away with paying an employee (in an instance I know of) 9k instead of the actual 50k amount.

And as for the mental health pandemic currently incubating.... 

In the meantime of course, we'll be relaxing the home lending laws again - increasing home prices - and giving people money they'll never be able to afford to pay back.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I think most are absolutely aware to be honest. It's those who aren't aware how deadly this virus is if we let it cut through the population is that worry me. People are resilient and can recover from pretty much anything, except death. 

Yeah I get that, but that’s my point, I think the deaths and suffering from the fallout could be worse. I don’t know what the answer is, it’s a terrible situation.

13 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah I get that, but that’s my point, I think the deaths and suffering from the fallout could be worse. I don’t know what the answer is, it’s a terrible situation.

Everything will be fine, it’s the governments job to protect all of its people. They’ve got this.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Don't worry, the government's highly trained PIP physiotherapists will asses anyone affected and miraculously find them completely fine. 

How have these highly trained individuals not managed to come up with a complete cure for covid?