You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

41 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm not sure that is the case re Oxford efficacy:

"Our vaccine gives partial immunity beyond day 22 of first dose with our initial results showing that two doses provide more robust protection beyond three months"

Besides, the main concern is the Pfizer one which they cannot vouch for beyond 21 days:

“there is no data to demonstrate that protection after the first dose is sustained after 21 days.”

Just to follow up and clarify what I wrote last night as it is an oversimplification.

The published results of the Oxford vaccine trials showed that most of the subjects in the UK arm of the trial were given the second dose more than 12 weeks after the first.

It also reports that out of 3060 people who received the first dose of the vaccine in the UK, 28 developed symptomatic covid-19 more than 21 days after vaccination. This compares to the control placebo group where 62 out of 3064 developed covid, giving a vaccine efficiency of 55.5%.

This means that those people who were vaccinated with 1 dose were over 2 times less likely to develop symptomatic covid than those on the placebo, regardless of the second dose.

The Pfizer study reports a similar vaccine efficiency (52%) for the time period between the first and second doses.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Results have came back negative for the Mrs and I, if the kids were contagious when we spent time together we would surely have caught it, I'm really surprised at that result.

Breaking news, CDC investigates potential use of kebap juice to block Covid spike protein.

• Upvote 4

If you combine the data from the Oxford studies carried out in Brazil with the UK study, the vaccine efficiency for 1 dose is 64.1%, meaning those vaccinated were almost 3 times less likely to develop symptomatic covid more than 21 days after vaccination than the placebo group.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

The longer one. Kids tested positive on the 29th after we'd spent a couple of days in close proximity to them for prolonged periods. I've also had mild symptoms yet the Mrs and I have tested negative. 

So you're living with people who have it, you have symptoms, but you don't have the virus. That's so weird.

I'm on day 12 and while it's largely gone I've still got a tight chest, which didn't develop until halfway through. 

I'd like to go for a walk but it's like an ice rink by us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Preston Red said:

"Covid is spreading in schools but send your children to school as we have to keep up with our policy of incompetence". (Tory Party, 2021)

- schools are fine, your kids and school workers will be fine, there is no Covid risk in schools.

- we've closed some schools because of the high Covid risk to kids and workers.

- What do you mean, you're confused?

9 hours ago, Jenson said:

I think this is a interesting point and it seems to me that people are somewhat confused about what is meant when vaccine efficiency is reported.

If the Pfizer or Oxford vaccine shows 60% efficiency after 1 dose, it doesn't mean that is the level of protection you get from the vaccine, it means that is the chance of you being protected.

The results of the Oxford trials showed that for every 100 people vaccinated with 1 dose and then exposed to the virus, 60 were immune to infection and 40 were not. This means that the levels of protection against infection given by  1 dose of the vaccine were 100% for 60/100 people and 0% for 40/100.

In addition, one of the key stats in that trial was that none of the 40% who were infected after 1 dose went on to develop serious illness, giving rise to the claim of 100% protection against becoming seriously ill even if you are infected. I think this is the reasoning behind the Government's idea to delay the 2nd dose in order to administer the first dose to as many people as possible as quickly as possible, as the results of the trial suggest that 1 dose will be enough to stop people dying or needing hospital treatment.

As loathe as I am to agree with anything this government says or does, I think it's probably the right approach at this moment in time.

If the vaccine were rubber stamped on those terms, I'd agree it was the right decision. As it wasn't, it just feels like they're doing it to cut corners.

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

If you combine the data from the Oxford studies carried out in Brazil with the UK study, the vaccine efficiency for 1 dose is 64.1%, meaning those vaccinated were almost 3 times less likely to develop symptomatic covid more than 21 days after vaccination than the placebo group.

I come in peace.

Theyve just had a guest on LBC who said that the 50% number bandied about relates to those who caught Covid in the first 21 days after vaccination, before it becomes effective.  After the 21 days it was ‘much higher’ but she wouldn’t be pinned to a number as the research hadn’t been completed.  

10 hours ago, magicrat said:

Not about the people it's about the Tory party and at what point does he become more of a liability than an asset.

They have plenty of dirt on Johnson and he will go quietly when the tap on the shoulder comes. I daresay the useless fuck will be glad to be out of the firing line and be happy dining out on getting Brexit done

But this is the thing, I don't think there's any dirt that sticks any more. They just shrug their shoulders and role with it like Trump has done in America and that base stays with them. They could even find a way I'm sure if raping and murdering live on TV and walk away. I think what another poster said (maybe @Anubis ) that he'll be glad to walk away might well the only way we see him go. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Which tests - the quick one or the longer one?

I got a negative result from the quick lateral flow when I had it. Had to get a private test to get the positive. Crazy.

LFT's are just a screening process and part of the solution. Nobody should think getting a negative result means they're clear. The aim is to find some positive people who would ordinarily not find out. It's why in Liverpool LFTs have been dedicated to centres that are for asymptomatic people only. 

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I come in peace.

Theyve just had a guest on LBC who said that the 50% number bandied about relates to those who caught Covid in the first 21 days after vaccination, before it becomes effective.  After the 21 days it was ‘much higher’ but she wouldn’t be pinned to a number as the research hadn’t been completed.  

That'll be because they haven't got a fucking clue. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But this is the thing, I don't think there's any dirt that sticks any more. They just shrug their shoulders and role with it like Trump has done in America and that base stays with them. They could even find a way I'm sure if raping and murdering live on TV and walk away. I think what another poster said (maybe @Anubis ) that he'll be glad to walk away might well the only way we see him go. 

LFT's are just a screening process and part of the solution. Nobody should think getting a negative result means they're clear. The aim is to find some positive people who would ordinarily not find out. It's why in Liverpool LFTs have been dedicated to centres that are for asymptomatic people only. 

That'll be because they haven't got a fucking clue. 

That wasn’t the impression she gave - she didn’t want to be pinned to number, understandably, but was very optimistic that it was going to be high. I don’t think this is going to something to batter them with, there’s plenty of other things.  

1 minute ago, Carradona said:

The Irish numbers are spiralling out of control and their computer systems only have the capacity to report 2,000 confirmed cases per day when the actual positive test results per day is more likely 4,500-5,000. 

I thought the 2K bug was fixed ages ago.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That wasn’t the impression she gave - she didn’t want to be pinned to number, understandably, but was very optimistic that it was going to be high. I don’t think this is going to something to batter them with, there’s plenty of other things.  

Who was it, was it that June Raine from the MHRA? She was the one who was catagoric earlier in the week at the Oxford/AZ  press conference that said we would absolutely not mix and match vaccines. That lasted till Johnson told her it didn't. 

7 minutes ago, Carradona said:

The Irish numbers are spiralling out of control and their computer systems only have the capacity to report 2,000 confirmed cases per day when the actual positive test results per day is more likely 4,500-5,000. 

Sounds like the picked up the office 2007 licenses off the UK government as part of the Brexit deal. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Who was it, was it that June Raine from the MHRA? She was the one who was catagoric earlier in the week at the Oxford/AZ  press conference that said we would absolutely not mix and match vaccines. That lasted till Johnson told her it didn't. 

Sounds like the picked up the office 2007 licenses off the UK government as part of the Brexit deal. 

Ill check and get back to you if it’s on the LBC website. 

Even that mix and match isn’t right though is it? They’ll only do it if they don’t know which version you got first time.  So, if you lose your card or the records aren’t available. If you were in that scenario would you rather them prevent the second dose?  As I said, there’s so much to batter the government with it needn’t be everything.  

2 hours ago, Jenson said:

Just to follow up and clarify what I wrote last night as it is an oversimplification.

The published results of the Oxford vaccine trials showed that most of the subjects in the UK arm of the trial were given the second dose more than 12 weeks after the first.

It also reports that out of 3060 people who received the first dose of the vaccine in the UK, 28 developed symptomatic covid-19 more than 21 days after vaccination. This compares to the control placebo group where 62 out of 3064 developed covid, giving a vaccine efficiency of 55.5%.

This means that those people who were vaccinated with 1 dose were over 2 times less likely to develop symptomatic covid than those on the placebo, regardless of the second dose.

The Pfizer study reports a similar vaccine efficiency (52%) for the time period between the first and second doses.

So it soundslike if they want to control the hospitals, the aim of the game should be to get as many people as possible in the old and vulnerable groups 2 shots. As while bringing cases down by 50% would be helpful, it would be more helpful for the hospital numbers if there were greater protection for those groups who end up in hospital and onto ICU. 

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Ill check and get back to you if it’s on the LBC website. 

Even that mix and match isn’t right though is it? They’ll only do it if they don’t know which version you got first time.  So, if you lose your card or the records aren’t available. If you were in that scenario would you rather them prevent the second dose?  As I said, there’s so much to batter the government with it needn’t be everything.  

I think if the dose you had 1st isn't available, they will also give you it. But the key here is they said they absolutely wouldn't do it without a trial just days ago. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

So you're living with people who have it, you have symptoms, but you don't have the virus. That's so weird.

I'm on day 12 and while it's largely gone I've still got a tight chest, which didn't develop until halfway through. 

I'd like to go for a walk but it's like an ice rink by us.

The kids have been isolating in their rooms since their positive results (which has been shit for all of us). I feel like it might be ok to relax their quarantine a little bit.

I'm going to get another test on Saturday at the end of their isolation period when they go back to their Mam.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think if the dose you had 1st isn't available, they will also give you it. But the key here is they said they absolutely wouldn't do it without a trial just days ago. 

I still don’t get the issue.  Things change, they’ve got to move quickly. This isn’t a perfect scenario and they have to have a solution.  If they’d kept to that advice there’d be people throwing stones because people would be denied a second shot through no fault of their own. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

I still don’t get the issue.  Things change, they’ve got to move quickly. This isn’t a perfect scenario and they have to have a solution.  If they’d kept to that advice there’d be people throwing stones because people would be denied a second shot through no fault of their own. 

Well the issue is like the administration of most medicine, you don't try things out for the 1st time unless it's part of a controlled group. The MHRA said only this week it was not an option to give a mix and match because of that very reason and there would need to be a reial. Then they've buckled and one can only assume due to political pressure. That in itself seems reason enough to me. If they were to say they'd do it as part of a trial, that's fine. But they're not, they're just making it up to make life easy for themselves because they're absolutely not prepared for this. The very idea any individual is not tracked electronically through the system to know which vaccine they have is frankly ridiculous in 2021 - if they're relying on people carry cards, well they shouldn't. So we're talking about when they just can't be bothered to get the right combination available - which needs not to become a medical experiment, but a bit more pressure on getting the supply chain right. Using your logic, why did we even bother trialling these vaccines, should we not just have doled them out to everyone once they were alright on a few monkeys? 

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well the issue is like the administration of most medicine, you don't try things out for the 1st time unless it's part of a controlled group. The MHRA said only this week it was not an option to give a mix and match because of that very reason and there would need to be a reial. Then they've buckled and one can only assume due to political pressure. That in itself seems reason enough to me. If they were to say they'd do it as part of a trial, that's fine. But they're not, they're just making it up to make life easy for themselves because they're absolutely not prepared for this. The very idea any individual is not tracked electronically through the system to know which vaccine they have is frankly ridiculous in 2021 - if they're relying on people carry cards, well they shouldn't. So we're talking about when they just can't be bothered to get the right combination available - which needs not to become a medical experiment, but a bit more pressure on getting the supply chain right. Using your logic, why did we even bother trialling these vaccines, should we not just have doled them out to everyone once they were alright on a few monkeys? 

That’s not my logic at all.  But I can see there’s no point.