You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Because Flu mutates each year or twice a year... also the vaccine will be more effective if it's a match with that particular Flu type.. 

We don't know know how effective the Covid vaccine will be against the mutations.

You can't say one is worse than the other yet, the 57/58 Flu killed a lot worldwide.

If you can't understand why getting the Covid vaccine is more important than getting the flu vaccine, I don't know what to tell you. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Who'd have thought we'd be end up in this shit fest after you started the thread.

I'm sure a certain person who can never will be wrong will eventually claim to have been right all along. 

But no, I wish this thread had been done within a week. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It looks like the secondary school return has been delayed. Why do the Tories go through this path every time? They make a plan, get told it's fucking nonsense, spend weeks telling everyone it's not, then make another fucking U turn. It's getting to the point where you have to assume it's deliberately. 

From the guardian...

English secondary schools unlikely to fully open until mid-January at earliest

Ministers thrash out new plans including staff being given high priority for Covid vaccinations

Secondary schools in England are unlikely to fully reopen until after mid-January at the earliest, according to new plans being thrashed out within government that would also see school staff be given high priority for Covid vaccinations.

According to government sources, ministers are torn between heeding its scientific advisers over the rapid spread of the new Covid variant, and warnings from the Department for Education that switching to remote learning for the whole of January would make it hard for schools and colleges to reopen again before Easter, jeopardising next year’s exams.

The revised timetable being discussed would see only older students who are taking exams, such as A-levels and GCSEs, receiving remote teaching for the week from 4 January, effectively giving most secondary pupils an extra week’s holiday while schools and colleges gear up to carry out mass testing.

For the week beginning 11 January, those taking exams, mainly years 11 and 13, would be allowed back in the classroom while others were taught remotely, followed by all year groups returning in person from 18 January.

Primary schools are unlikely to be affected, and would return according to their normal timetable. Vulnerable secondary-aged children and children of key workers would be able to return to school from 4 January, regardless of year group.

Boris Johnson is said to be considering the proposals and the final decision is likely to be announced on Wednesday alongside the tier review for England and more data on the national infection rate.

Geoff Barton, the general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said: “We haven’t had any contact from the government since Christmas about whether or not the spring term will go ahead as planned, and it has been intensely frustrating that there has been a swirl of speculation with no clarity and with less than a week before term begins.

“We are expecting to speak with the government shortly and we will be pressing for schools and colleges to be given clear guidance as soon as possible.”

The government is also likely to reveal that school staff, including teachers, would be moved into a higher priority group to receive Covid vaccinations, but still below NHS workers and the most vulnerable groups.

“We would very much welcome any plans to prioritise school and college staff for Covid vaccinations because they are being asked to go into an environment which is inherently busy and crowded. Vaccinations would give them extra reassurance, reduce the need for staff to self-isolate, and mean less disruption,” Barton said.

The new timetable effectively pushes back the government’s plans for a staggered start by a further week compared with the plans it announced before Christmas.

The DfE will also recommit to regular mass testing of asymptomatic school staff and secondary school and college students. The government is expecting secondary schools and colleges to recruit and organise volunteers to conduct testing, while those unable to do so will require 10-days self-isolation for staff and students before returning to school.

The government has promised head teachers the assistance of 1,500 military personnel to prepare for the mass testing regime already announced. But with nearly 4,000 secondary schools and colleges in England, in most cases the direct help will be limited to phone and video calls.

The debates within Whitehall were given fresh urgency after advice from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) that the rate of infections could spiral out of control unless schools are closed for the whole of January.

The new timetable supported by the DfE is seen as treading a fine line between extended school closures, which would imperil the sitting of GCSEs and other exams in summer, and the demands to tackle the spread of infection. But concerns remain over how parents and teachers will react to minimal closures, with fears that both groups could vote with their feet and stay away while the virus remains unchecked.

The prime minister’s spokesman said on Tuesday: “We’re still planning for a staggered opening of schools and we’re working to ensure testing is in place.

“But as we’ve said throughout the pandemic, we obviously keep all measures under constant review.”

Pressed on whether all parents could be assured there would be no changes to the timetable next week, the spokesman insisted the government was “planning for a staggered opening of schools” but reasserted that all measures were under review.

Asked if there were any plans for education staff to be prioritised for the vaccine after teaching union leaders called for them to receive jabs alongside health workers, the spokesman said the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation had clearly set out the first phase of those who should receive the vaccine. “We’ve always been clear that we need to ensure that we provide the vaccine to those who are seen to be the most clinically vulnerable and that’s what we’re doing,” he added

8 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

You have chosen a rather vague source - we have already discussed this.

CDC - the folks whose job it is to research this stuff:

The estimated number of deaths was 1 million worldwide and about 100,000 in the United States.

You would be better off going back to 1918.

Just now, cloggypop said:

Yeah but you all got your Christmas 

I've spent the entire Christmas period on my todd, my family would all be highly at risk and one of the regular carers family had symptoms so also had to stay away. Not the Christmas any of my family would have wanted but if we all come out the other side of it without incident it will be worth it.

28 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

No I haven't, I've stated the stats all suggest that the vaccine (Covid) should be for those that need it most just like the Flu vaccine. None should be compulsory.

I'm also stating that some Flu types have been as bad if not worse than Covid ie H3N2 from 1968 and still killing. 

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the flu is a different disease than Covid, the Covid vaccine is different than the flu vaccine, and we're not in 1918 or 1968 anymore. Why people would persist in comparing the incomparable, I don't know.