You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

So, these millions of people who wont have access to the vaccine I mentioned. How's that problem going to be solved ? 

You don’t have to inoculate the whole population to achieve (if it’s even achievable) herd immunity. Estimations I’ve seen range from 70-90% of the population. This new strain may push up the percentage needed to achieve this according to some things I’ve read. 

So let’s say for arguments sake we need to inoculate 75% then the people you are taking about would obviously fall into the 25% that don’t receive a vaccination and providing the take up from everyone else is high that shouldn’t be a problem. 

The issue will be if the take up is low from the registered population. The vaccine is not going to eradicate Covid but the hope is it gets it down to acceptable levels we can live with, maybe like a flu season. But there will still be outbreaks here and there. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

You don’t have to inoculate the whole population to achieve (if it’s even achievable) herd immunity. Estimations I’ve seen range from 70-90% of the population. This new strain may push up the percentage needed to achieve this according to some things I’ve read. 

So let’s say for arguments sake we need to inoculate 75% then the people you are taking about would obviously fall into the 25% that don’t receive a vaccination and providing the take up from everyone else is high that shouldn’t be a problem. 

The issue will be if the take up is low from the registered population. The vaccine is not going to eradicate Covid but the hope is it gets it down to acceptable levels we can live with, maybe like a flu season. But there will still be outbreaks here and there. 

But lots of people can’t have the vaccine, kids, pregnant women, immunosuppressed etc etc. Being stupid doesn’t fall into any of those categories. 

Im generally against lists but this is a list of people who’ve decided to opt out. Fuck em

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Thank you for the well reasoned reply.

To clarify, I'm far from an anti vaxer. I'm just a little uncomfortable with the labeling/taging/listing of people who for whatever their reasons, decide not to get the jab.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But lots of people can’t have the vaccine, kids, pregnant women, immunosuppressed etc etc. Being stupid doesn’t fall into any of those categories. 

Im generally against lists but this is a list of people who’ve decided to opt out. Fuck em

Yeah I agree everyone who is offered one should absolutely get it, but we all know how this is going to go in this country. They’ll probably give the most vulnerable one dose then start to open everything up again well too soon and we’ll be back in the shit. It’s how they’ve dealt with everything since this started. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah I agree everyone who is offered one should absolutely get it, but we all know how this is going to go in this country. They’ll probably give the most vulnerable one dose then start to open everything up again well too soon and we’ll be back in the shit. It’s how they’ve dealt with everything since this started. 

Oh I’m with you, I know a bloke who had to phone a mate to ask how to make ice and I’m sure he’d have managed this better than our government.  But we can’t let some idiot who’s watched a Facebook video by Piers Corbyn dictate whether a cancer sufferer can go to school. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Portugal numbers are weirdly low, especially as they are right next to Spain. 

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11673-020-10058-z

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/10/portugal-election-progressives-left-winning/599518/

Tl;dr - They have a competent left wing government.

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yep. It allows sovereign nations to make decisions to potentially stop the virus spreading through their country. If people decide to not do their bit because of "Bill Gates" then nations should reserve the right to shun these people and instead act in a way that benefits those who were prepared to do their bit and to try and help with the fight against a global pandemic. 

Hypothetically, if a country gets a grip of their own covid numbers and they have information to say that a person is coming from a country where a new, highly infectious variant is taking hold and somebody from that country has refused a vaccine, then they should have the right to decide if they want to allow that person to enter based on public health considerations. 

And, it's a private list. All this talk of bells and yellow stars is exaggerated, hysterical bellendery. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

Yep. It allows sovereign nations to make decisions to potentially stop the virus spreading through their country. If people decide to not do their bit because of "Bill Gates" then nations should reserve the right to shun these people and instead act in a way that benefits those who were prepared to do their bit and to try and help with the fight against a global pandemic. 

Hypothetically, if a country gets a grip of their own covid numbers and they have information to say that a person is coming from a country where a new, highly infectious variant is taking hold and somebody from that country has refused a vaccine, then they should have the right to decide if they want to allow that person to enter based on public health considerations. 

And, it's a private list. All this talk of bells and yellow stars is exaggerated, hysterical bellendery. 

It won’t remain private...but I agree on the rest. 

We’ve got a book of all Izzy’s inoculations, I wouldn’t have an issue proving she’d had them in order for her to attend school etc. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It's genuinely bonkers that anyone would consider vaccination against a disease to be an infringement on their civil liberties.

It's genuinely bonkers that anyone would think it's not an infringement of civil liberties.

The point is whether that infringement is justified in the name of some greater good.

14 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's genuinely bonkers that anyone would think it's not an infringement of civil liberties.

The point is whether that infringement is justified in the name of some greater good.

You can decide not to have it, go for your life. But that has consequences. 

You can go on the piss all you want, but it means you can’t drive, go to work etc etc etc. 

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Personally I think it is justified, this virus is so dangerous, it has to be.

20 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Are drug dealers having their civil liberties infringed when police smash through their doors? 

45 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Absolute rubbish as usual. 

14 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Prohibition of drugs is an enormous infringement of the rights of everyone involved.

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolute rubbish as usual. 

You ain't seen nothin' yet. LET'S ROCK! 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's genuinely bonkers that anyone would consider vaccination against a disease to be an infringement on their civil liberties. 

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You are incredibly stupid, and a self righteous, passive-aggressive bellend to boot. Despite your towering academic accomplishment in getting a degree in Ecology, you've been massively wrong at every stage of this.

Your attempts to invoke 'civil liberties' re vaccination are as laughable as your initial assertions about the response to the virus being 'embarrassing' or your weaselling about a second wave. A second wave fully defined by your own chosen criteria, I should add. A definition which you never thought would be met, and yet one which you couldn't being yourself to acknowledge.

I genuinely hate you for continually popping up in this thread and spouting your bullshit while people on here and their relatives are suffering. Your reckless behaviour in going abroad, your bitching about wearing a mask while shopping (ffs) and now you're complaining about a fucking vaccination. What's the matter with you? 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

You are incredibly stupid, and a self righteous, passive-aggressive bellend to boot. Despite your towering academic accomplishment in getting a degree in Ecology, you've been massively wrong at every stage of this.

Your attempts to invoke 'civil liberties' re vaccination are as laughable as your initial assertions about the response to the virus being 'embarrassing' or your weaselling about a second wave. A second wave fully defined by your own chosen criteria, I should add. A definition which you never thought would be met, and yet one which you couldn't being yourself to acknowledge.

I genuinely hate you for continually popping up in this thread and spouting your bullshit while people on here and their relatives are suffering. Your reckless behaviour in going abroad, your bitching about wearing a mask while shopping (ffs) and now you're complaining about a fucking vaccination. What's the matter with you? 

At no point have I "complained about a fucking vaccination". Either now or in the past.

Is English not your first language, or are you just extremely dense?

The rest of it is utter nonsense too, but I'm far too busy recklessly not contracting or spreading a disease to waste my time with it.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

@Strontium Dog™

Do you feel the infringement on civil liberties (that acknowledges your opinion on vaccines)  is justified in this case?

It is a simple yes/no.

You've surely read enough of my posts over the years to know the answer to that.

I am not an anti-vaxxer.