You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

34 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

From 11pm last night, my dad started to deteriorate. His heart rate is going haywire, he has a blood clot on his lung and has sepsis. Waiting for the nurse to call my mum this afternoon, and the consultant this evening.

Thinking of you all mate. I know it seems bleak at the moment but don't give up hope. 

42 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

From 11pm last night, my dad started to deteriorate. His heart rate is going haywire, he has a blood clot on his lung and has sepsis. Waiting for the nurse to call my mum this afternoon, and the consultant this evening.

Hoping for the best mate, is it possible to see him at all? 

47 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Hoping for the best for you all mate

47 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Dreadful news mate. Hope he pulls through.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Good god. Sorry to hear that Tony, all the best to you and your ma.

Moonshot, unsurprisingly, a dud, only £100B budget, but what’s that between friends...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/plans-for-30-minute-covid-lateral-flow-tests-in-england-halted-over-accuracy-fears

’Jon Deeks, a professor of biostatistics and head of the test evaluation research group at the University of Birmingham, said the tests were “not fit for purpose” unless they were used on highly infectious people and that even then, a follow-up test was required using a swab.

“There’s a big risk this test will give a lot of false reassurance which will inevitably lead to more Covid disease,” he said.

Deeks said the best thing the government could do with the 20m tests it has ordered was donate them to a poor country that does not have laboratory capacity to carry out the gold-standard swab tests. Their use as proposed by the government was “dangerous” and an “enormous waste of time and money,” he told the Guardian.

“The country’s leading scientists rigorously evaluated the lateral flow test and confirmed the accuracy of the tests using a sample of over 8,500. Latest figures for similar settings showing sensitivity of 57.5% generally and 84.3% in people with high viral loads.’

I am shocked! 

39 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Moonshot, unsurprisingly, a dud, only £100B budget, but what’s that between friends...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/plans-for-30-minute-covid-lateral-flow-tests-in-england-halted-over-accuracy-fears

’Jon Deeks, a professor of biostatistics and head of the test evaluation research group at the University of Birmingham, said the tests were “not fit for purpose” unless they were used on highly infectious people and that even then, a follow-up test was required using a swab.

“There’s a big risk this test will give a lot of false reassurance which will inevitably lead to more Covid disease,” he said.

Deeks said the best thing the government could do with the 20m tests it has ordered was donate them to a poor country that does not have laboratory capacity to carry out the gold-standard swab tests. Their use as proposed by the government was “dangerous” and an “enormous waste of time and money,” he told the Guardian.

“The country’s leading scientists rigorously evaluated the lateral flow test and confirmed the accuracy of the tests using a sample of over 8,500. Latest figures for similar settings showing sensitivity of 57.5% generally and 84.3% in people with high viral loads.’

I am shocked! 

To be honest, I thought the whole point of these lateral flow tests was while they only catch people with a large viral load, the idea is it catches asymptomatic people with a large viral load quickly that otherwise would not be tested as positive (which has happened successfully in the trial here). They shouldn't be seen as a replacement for PCR tests, but a screening supplement, that can be done across society on such a regular basis (ultimate aim is daily, which becomes achievable because you don't need trained staff and labs). You will just keep pulling people out and breaking chains of infection you wouldn't normally discover. People with symptoms, just as before, should get PCR tests. If they're expecting lateral flow to replace PCR from my basic understanding since day one, you're never going to get that. 

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Thinking of you mate and hoping for the best.

• Upvote 1

My Mum rang me earlier to say that she's got an appointment for the vaccine on New Year's Eve.

She's 78, hasn't been out of her house since March and is recovering from bowel Cancer.

To say I'm relieved is an understatement.

Hopefully all our loved ones will get theirs soon.

My heartfelt thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by this horrible virus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

On 10/08/2020 at 22:44, Strontium Dog™ said:

When this thing is over and done in this country by winter, and there's no second wave, how many of you will be big enough to apologise?

Grim that its still here, I really wish you were right @Strontium Dog™ but I think it's time at the very least you admitted you were wrong. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

We’re our own worst fucking enemy.

I'd like to think that given the utter fucking shambles they've made of controlling the virus, all the lies, all the money syphoning, Dominic Cuntface Cummings and his dodgy fucking eyesight. The cover ups and all the rest of the stunts they've pulled, a lesson will have been learnt.

I'd like to think, that after all that, confidence would be high among us that there's no fucking way they'll be in with a chance in the next general election.

Sadly, things are going to have to get a whole lot worse before the docile among us wake up and smell the fucking coffee, because as you say, we're our own worst fucking enemy. 

16 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I'd like to think that given the utter fucking shambles they've made of controlling the virus, all the lies, all the money syphoning, Dominic Cuntface Cummings and his dodgy fucking eyesight. The cover ups and all the rest of the stunts they've pulled, a lesson will have been learnt.

I'd like to think, that after all that, confidence would be high among us that there's no fucking way they'll be in with a chance in the next general election.

Sadly, things are going to have to get a whole lot worse before the docile among us wake up and smell the fucking coffee, because as you say, we're our own worst fucking enemy. 

If the message is handled correctly then this should bury them for a generation.

’These cunts killed your nan whilst handing out dodgy contracts to their dodgy mates. Brexit? These daft cunts, then they did this, they own it. All of the misery and suffering you’ve had has been because of these cunts, These are the reason deep fried rat has replaced fish and chips.’

It should see them off, will it, I doubt it, this country is full of forelock tuggers who’ll remember nothing but ‘at least they gave us £10 off a nando’s’

In hope.