You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is the covid thread, not the MP for Islington North thread and I have no fucking intention of going around in circles with cultists who can’t except that dear leader lost the last election because, well, a myriad of reasons, most notably that he led a catastrophic campaign.

So kindly, fuck off, go back to your shrine and prostrate yourself in front of your deity. 

And we wonder why the Tories and media get away with it 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Nearly a million behind on their rent in the uk, mostly under 30s. At the moment we have certain degree of government protection in furloughs and grants, what happens when they end? 

It feels cold talking about economic aspects when people have loved ones suffering from the virus at this time of year, maybe the economic offshoot should be in a separate thread but when this is through the country could resemble a mad max film. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/dec/22/840000-private-tenants-in-england-and-wales-could-be-behind-on-rent-covid?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Last night on my run I saw two lads rummaging through a bin near a block of houses, normal I thought...

This morning on the Tube I saw our transplant coordinator who can't get back home to Ireland to see her folks due to the travel ban, she has seen them for one week this year, that's pish I thought...

Got told this morn the number of Covid positive cases in the trust is up to 151 having been in the 120ish range last week, great I thought

Outwith a couple of footballing peaks this year really has been mince, I really hope all of those who have been hit economically get support from the government, but I don't see that happening universally or indefinitely I would imagine they are probably already gearing up the 'scroungers' discourse again for another bash at austerity.

• Upvote 1

Highest death toll in Europe with the worst recession of any G7 country and said with the usual smirk

Coronavirus: Priti Patel claims government has been ‘consistently ahead of the curve’ in pandemic

Priti Patel posing for a photo

Ms Patel denied that the government was acting in a “last-minute” way.

“The government has consistently, throughout this year, been ahead of the curve in terms of proactive measures,” the Home Secretary told Today.

“There's nothing last-minute in terms of the work that was undertaken by government in terms of planning and preparing for tier 4.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/coronavirus-priti-patel-claims-government-has-been-consistently-ahead-of-the-curve-in-pandemic/ar-BB1c8dJQ?ocid=st

20 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

People can use phrases like 'counter narrative', but frankly a lot of this stuff is just outright lying. and it virtually never gets challenged due to the nature of the press in the UK

And people would also have seen the interview with Rachael Reeves on the same show where she disputes this. Giving them two people presenting their points, and a whole other world of information where to check them if they wish to. The problem is critical thinking and partisan shit slinging. She should have been called out though, as should Alex last night for his lie about numbers of lorries in Kent.

The narrative that all forms of media are kowtowing toadies is as dangerous as actually having that as it turns people off ‘MSM’ and leads them to dangerous fringe lunatics who spout unsubstantiated nonsense which has no real regulation or, a lot of the time, a basis in reality, which the main channels and papers have, weak regulation though I agree.

There is a huge problem with media manipulation, always has been, and the new algorithmic monstrosities are creating genuine alternate realities for people where they are never exposed to an other viewpoint and we have this echo chamber, ultra partisan shitfest where everybody attacks that which they don’t recognise as their version of ‘truth’

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think we’re being primed for it.

Say a one month full lockdown from the 27th/28th with schools starting back mid Jan.

Fine, I just don’t trust them to have anything sorted by the time it comes to an end.

Utterly shambolic.

The only point to a full January lockdown is if we have a full-scale vaccination programme in place over that period.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is the covid thread, not the MP for Islington North thread and I have no fucking intention of going around in circles with cultists who can’t except that dear leader lost the last election because, well, a myriad of reasons, most notably that he led a catastrophic campaign.

So kindly, fuck off, go back to your shrine and prostrate yourself in front of your deity. 

The report into media bias is from the election when Milliband was leader so nothing to do with Corbyn.  

http://www.electionanalysis.uk/uk-election-analysis-2015/section-1-media-reporting/the-horse-race-contest-dominated-tv-news-election-coverage/

Oh and I know what thread this is I was debunking your shithouse defense of the British media, so fuck off yourself you tedious little twat

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

And people would also have seen the interview with Rachael Reeves on the same show where she disputes this. Giving them two people presenting their points, and a whole other world of information where to check them if they wish to. The problem is critical thinking and partisan shit slinging. She should have been called out though, as should Alex last night for his lie about numbers of lorries in Kent.

The narrative that all forms of media are kowtowing toadies is as dangerous as actually having that as it turns people off ‘MSM’ and leads them to dangerous fringe lunatics who spout unsubstantiated nonsense which has no real regulation or, a lot of the time, a basis in reality, which the main channels and papers have, weak regulation though I agree.

There is a huge problem with media manipulation, always has been, and the new algorithmic monstrosities are creating genuine alternate realities for people where they are never exposed to an other viewpoint and we have this echo chamber, ultra partisan shitfest where everybody attacks that which they don’t recognise as their version of ‘truth’

There's a big problem with the truth tnough, our leaders are very scarce with it. They lie so much and so often, the assumption of anyone with common sense is when they open their mouths, they're lying. That leads to people trying to figure out what the truth is and who to trust. From there the echo chambers on the internet and the mental conspiracy theories stick really easily, because they're as easy to believe as the supposed truth of our leaders. Until we can restore trust in government, we're doomed to a future of this bat shit crazy world we live in getting worse. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's a big problem with the truth tnough, our leaders are very scarce with it. They lie so much and so often, the assumption of anyone with common sense is when they open their mouths, they're lying. That leads to people trying to figure out what the truth is and who to trust. From there the echo chambers on the internet and the mental conspiracy theories stick really easily, because they're as easy to believe as the supposed truth of our leaders. Until we can restore trust in government, we're doomed to a future of this bat shit crazy world we live in getting worse. 

Very true. You can't believe a word these fuckers say.

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Fully agreed.

The covid crisis has done more for conspiracy peddling than anything in recent history, but the groundwork as you say was put in place years ago. 

Im just frustrated by it all.

We need leadership and we got pathetic grandstanding and chronic incompetence.

• Upvote 1

Just seen this on BBC.

So, this super spreader strain was largely kept under wraps through September & October. November was a softer lockdown, but as soon as that finished the virus thought fuck it, in an opposite way it doesn’t transmit after 10pm, and let loose.

Of course it’s nothing to do with the mostly densely populated area of the county being in the wrong tier for months beforehand, came out of lockdown in the wrong tier, opened its doors to  densely populated inhabitant & it ran wild.

F2F6F74D-508B-4233-A2A4-9317BF368979.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

From 11pm last night, my dad started to deteriorate. His heart rate is going haywire, he has a blood clot on his lung and has sepsis. Waiting for the nurse to call my mum this afternoon, and the consultant this evening.

All the best Tony.

• Upvote 1

So had to cancel going back to Northern Ireland for Christmas, Mrs is in tears as she hasn't seen her parents since this time last year. Thanks Tory voters, I hope you lose all your property portfolio and your children are unable to inherit your wealth, forcing them to turn to a life of crime and hard drugs. 

• Upvote 1