You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Just before I read the rest of your shite, let me stop you there. How did you figure that is what I am joking about?

As an aside the reason my pay number was on the site is because I was getting a discount on CH boilers for them.   I think about 5 or 6 did it in the end, saving them a few hundred quid each.  

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Of course it's a con! If you're selling something that you believe doesn't help people and even worse puts them in harms way, you shouldn't be selling them! This is what you don't seem to be able to wrap your brain and ego around. 

It helps you buy ticking a box.

Listen, you had seen it and decided to buy it. I subsequently gave you about 50 of the things you wanted to buy, for less than you were going to pay for about 5. How the fuck do you figure that this is me ripping you off?

Another fucking emptyhead!

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It helps you buy ticking a box.

Listen, you had seen it and decided to buy it. I subsequently gave you about 50 of the things you wanted to buy, for less than you were going to pay for about 5. How the fuck do you figure that this is me ripping you off?

Another fucking emptyhead!

You clearly don't get it and never will. If at any point you develop any type of conscience, donate the money to charity. 

I won't hold my breath, mask or no. 

37 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I'm in no why having a go here but why would a doctors receptionist be considered a priority ? If the set up is like it is in my doctors, screen, and the receptionist is wearing a mask, they're no more at risk than a till operator in a supermarket.

People going in an out of a GP surgery are likely to be elderly and or have a health condition. Supermarket shoppers are likely to be less at risk of the virus.  

11 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Of course it's a con! If you're selling something that you believe doesn't help people and even worse puts them in harms way, you shouldn't be selling them!

Devastating news for anyone who works in retail and doesn't drink, smoke, eat unhealthy foods etc.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Devastating news for anyone who works in retail and doesn't drink, smoke, eat unhealthy foods etc.

Hi, I'd like to buy a burger please. Hold the deadly virus. 

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

This is why i've decided i'll never do business with forumites off here. I can just imagine the fuckers staying with us and being all "eeew I saw 3 cockroaches in the bathroom and a rat on the windowsill" Fussy bastards

Hahaha "It was lovely except the last night waking up at 4am to A Red having a shit in our bathroom. I wouldn't have minded but he was reading a Jackie Collins novel. Jackie Collins!" 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

It's the only time I've considered getting married. Covid is the perfect excuse to have a nice small wedding and omit more than half the people in my family that I wouldn't want to be there. 

Why oh why didn't covid happen in 1986? (after May 10th of course).

Would have saved me a fucking fortune, and I don't mean just the cost of the wedding.

12 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

People going in an out of a GP surgery are likely to be elderly and or have a health condition. Supermarket shoppers are likely to be less at risk of the virus.  

Sorry but that's just bollocks.

Today I've been to the asda and handled between 70-80 different products which the till operator has then handled. This is just a guess but I reckon that she will serve minimum of 100 people with varying amounts of items while on shift. Not to mention the other interaction they will have with colleagues. How is the till operator less at risk from the virus than a doctors receptionist ?

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Today I've been to the asda and handled between 70-80 different products which the till operator has then handled. This is just a guess but I reckon that she will serve minimum of 100 people with varying amounts of items while on shift. Not to mention the other interaction they will have with colleagues. How is the till operator less at risk from the virus than a doctors receptionist ?

It's a fair point. I hadn't really thought of it, I just thought she was offered as a frontline health worker and didn't question it. I think perhaps because many GP surgeries are made up of small, poorly ventilated rooms without adequate room for proper social distancing etc. So administration staff are working in close quarters with district nurses, doctors, midwives etc and that's where the chance of spread is? I don't know though, I think they'd be better getting all the auld folks and chronically sick people pricked first.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I think you've misunderstood what I meant. Its more about protecting the people they come in contact with, not the actual receptionist/checkout operator. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It's a fair point. I hadn't really thought of it, I just thought she was offered as a frontline health worker and didn't question it. I think perhaps because many GP surgeries are made up of small, poorly ventilated rooms without adequate room for proper social distancing etc. So administration staff are working in close quarters with district nurses, doctors, midwives etc and that's where the chance of spread is? I don't know though, I think they'd be better getting all the auld folks and chronically sick people pricked first.

Thanks for answering. I honestly wasn't aiming the question at you, it was just something I found odd.

I suppose it comes down to opinion but I wouldn't class a doctors receptionist as a frontline health worker. Could it possibly be a perk of the job ?

Interesting bit from (yeah I know) Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-on-chinas-global-fraud-coronavirus

The latest evidence comes from samples collected during Red Cross blood drives last year and analyzed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in a study published on Monday.

Researchers tested 39 blood samples from California, Washington and Oregon that were collected between Dec. 13 and Dec. 16, 2019. At the time, no one in the United States had heard of COVID-19. The Chinese government didn't even acknowledge its existence until Dec. 31. And yet, every one of those samples came back positive for coronavirus antibodies. Keep in mind that antibodies don't develop for at least a week after exposure to the virus.

That means the human coronavirus was being transmitted throughout the American population far earlier, possibly months earlier, than we were told. We don't know yet how it happened, but we know for certain that it did.

The CDC has found dozens more positive samples from blood tests taken beginning at the end of December, and they found them in many other parts of the country -- in Michigan, Iowa, and Massachusetts.

1 minute ago, M_B said:

Interesting bit from (yeah I know) Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-on-chinas-global-fraud-coronavirus

The latest evidence comes from samples collected during Red Cross blood drives last year and analyzed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in a study published on Monday.

Researchers tested 39 blood samples from California, Washington and Oregon that were collected between Dec. 13 and Dec. 16, 2019. At the time, no one in the United States had heard of COVID-19. The Chinese government didn't even acknowledge its existence until Dec. 31. And yet, every one of those samples came back positive for coronavirus antibodies. Keep in mind that antibodies don't develop for at least a week after exposure to the virus.

That means the human coronavirus was being transmitted throughout the American population far earlier, possibly months earlier, than we were told. We don't know yet how it happened, but we know for certain that it did.

The CDC has found dozens more positive samples from blood tests taken beginning at the end of December, and they found them in many other parts of the country -- in Michigan, Iowa, and Massachusetts.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but there were a few people who work in our head office last November who were all of with varying degrees of symptoms which are all now Covid symptoms. I reckon it was here much longer then we originally thought. Might be adding 2+2 and getting five here but we have people who before the pandemic, travelled to and from China due to work purposes.

3 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Ah right. My bad. But that's sort of my point. They don't come into 'contact' with the patients.

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Old people also go to the supermarket.

I'm sure they will be socially distanced and won't make contact with the majority of patients, but they will be in the same room etc.

Old people don't have to go to the supermarket though, ideally they would have shopping delivered or get a family member to collect it. 

To me it makes absolute sense to say as a GP surgery that all staff members have been vaccinated so that as a patient you will feel secure visiting that surgery. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm sure they will be socially distanced and won't make contact with the majority of patients, but they will be in the same room etc.

Old people don't have to go to the supermarket though, ideally they would have shopping delivered or get a family member to collect it. 

To me it makes absolute sense to say as a GP surgery that all staff members have been vaccinated so that as a patient you will feel secure visiting that surgery. 

And so the doctors don’t have to self isolate every time a receptionist/secretary gets Covid. Meeting patients isn’t the major issue. It’s closing done the surgery.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I'm in no why having a go here but why would a doctors receptionist be considered a priority ? If the set up is like it is in my doctors, screen, and the receptionist is wearing a mask, they're no more at risk than a till operator in a supermarket.

Doctors and nurses wear PPE. But being in close proximity to nothing but sick people all day is still a risk, IMO. PPE and those screens only reduce risk, they don't eradicate it.

Anyone front line should get the vaccine IMO.

Even retail workers in essential shops should be a level above Joe Public, although hopefully by that stage it'll be less of a concern as most of the at risk will have been vaccinated.