You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m going away in Feb, if I have to pay for the vaccine before hand to fly I’ve no issue with that.  Similarly if the country we visit says we need it. 

I don't think any country should demand a vax, in or out - they can have whatever travel restrictions they deem appropriate (quarantine for a certain period, negative test etc).

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think any country should demand a vax, in or out - they can have whatever travel restrictions they deem appropriate (quarantine for a certain period, negative test etc).

They do it for other diseases though, Yellow fever for example.  

Somewhere like NZ that has 14 day quarantine might insist. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I hope not. I hope they treat us exactly how they've decided to work the tiers (whichever is correct - i think it will be tier 2). As much as I want everything open including pubs / restaurants for everyone, I'm sick of seeing Liverpool having one of the highest infection rates. You know what they will say though. "Look, look what we did in Liverpool and look how great we are" well actually all you did was test more people, there was no wonder cure from mass testing. 

I mentioned pubs / restaurants yesterday because of my daughter's place but also because I am baffled by the fact that the government 'science' seems no further forward to understanding which businesses / activities are the most problematical. It has been like the Hokey Cokey with various businesses open and  closed on a regular basis. I am genuinely pleased for small businesses in the gym and hairdresser sectors who have been through a nightmare but struggle to see how people lying on a piece of equipment somebody else has just sweated on is a lesser risk than people in their own bubble sitting socially distanced eating a meal in a pub or restaurant, and didnt we have a survey on here a day or two  back suggesting that after educational settings, shops are the biggest spreaders. With this lot I wouldnt be surprised if they are just doing a random round robin of businesses just so everybody gets a bit of a turn open at some point.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They do??

I have traveled a fair bit meself and not only have I never heard of yellow fever I most certainly have never had a vax for it.

We went on a cruise last year and we needed a yellow fever jab before being allowed on board, mainly for countries around the Panama Canal area.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They do??

I have traveled a fair bit meself and not only have I never heard of yellow fever I most certainly have never had a vax for it.

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We went on a cruise last year and we needed a yellow fever jab before being allowed on board, mainly for countries around the Panama Canal area.

I have worked in the Merchant Navy for many years (up until 12 months ago when obviously the industry stopped) and needed yellow fever and a few other vaccines (which I can't remember, but I have stamped on papers, which I carry at all times) before being able to join ships. I would 100% expect to be required to have a Covid vaccine certificate once readily available. 

The Liverpool School of Tropical Medicines is a place where these vaccines are readily available and the major reason for a School of Tropical Medicine being in Liverpool is due to our Merchant Naval tradition and the weird and wonderful deceases we would bring home. 

• Upvote 1

As an aside, I have heard that we here on the Isles of Scilly may be mass-vaccinated. Have heard that anecdotally, though quite convincingly, from two health professionals today.

Would be an interesting experiment, big range of ages and medical backgrounds, a lot of useful data.  2,500 of us here, a mini country with a 28 mile sea barrier from mainland UK.  It's perhaps also due in part to the logistical difficulty of supplying, storing and administering on such a small scale of doing by 5 year increments of age.  Would be a fucking nightmare for the small GP team to have to keep doing that in intervals. 

Interesting times. 

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

As an aside, I have heard that we here on the Isles of Scilly may be mass-vaccinated. Have heard that anecdotally, though quite convincingly, from two health professionals today.

Would be an interesting experiment, big range of ages and medical backgrounds, a lot of useful data.  2,500 of us here, a mini country with a 28 mile sea barrier from mainland UK.  It's perhaps also due in part to the logistical difficulty of supplying, storing and administering on such a small scale of doing by 5 year increments of age.  Would be a fucking nightmare for the small GP team to have to keep doing that in intervals. 

Interesting times. 

They'll regret that decision a few months later when you all grow wings and start attacking Penzance from the sky 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Discussion on Vine now about countries (and airlines) mandating vaccines to travel. 

Should the government insist that anyone arriving in the U.K has a vaccine certificate?

Would those unwilling to have a vaccine change their minds if they weren’t able to go on holiday? 

As well as travel (even domestically, you might not be able to get on a train if you haven’t been vaccinated) I think employers will be the big one. I can see many companies with large offices and companies whose employees work with the general public insisting their staff must have had a vaccine. They will quote health and safety. I can also see theatres, gig venues, sports venues etc being similar, so people will be able to choose not to have a vaccine but it will strictly limit what they’re able to do. The government won’t even need to legislate.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I don't, but I also don't want us in tier 3, you can't win.

the thing is, with the mass testing here it is surely impossible to measure it in the same way as areas without mass testing. So while I am sure we have had more positive tests, that doesn't translate to more virus here ... so it will allow them to manipulate the infections per 100k as much as they want. and if liverpool becomes the carrot for the other regions and to make themselves look better, but they happen to kill a load of scousers down the line as a consequence - do you think they will care? They claim the success and try to poke Andy Burnham in the eye and say "you should have worked with us". 

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

As well as travel (even domestically, you might not be able to get on a train if you haven’t been vaccinated) I think employers will be the big one. I can see many companies with large offices and companies whose employees work with the general public insisting their staff must have had a vaccine. They will quote health and safety. I can also see theatres, gig venues, sports venues etc being similar, so people will be able to choose not to have a vaccine but it will strictly limit what they’re able to do. The government won’t even need to legislate.

I've heard Cummings-GoveWare Inc will be making the scanners for the chips they implant along with the vaccine. 

• Upvote 1