You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

30 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'd love to know what magic would be required for a piece of cloth to work as a barrier in one direction, but not the other.

They are effective in both directions. Are they perfect? No. Are they better than nothing at all? Yes. Do they do nothing at all? No. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

At this point the reason I like masks is twofold.

I think they help protect me and the people around me and they piss off a bunch of cranks.

Win-win.

I think they're just misunderstood. 

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Skidfingers McGonical

A couple of things to think about there.

Any "average" time to market for vaccines would include examples from 40 or 50 years ago right? There is a chance medicine has progressed in that time period.

I have no doubt medicine has improved from 40 to 50 years ago, however that doesn't mean there shouldn't be questions and concerns about a vaccine that is rushed through. 

Also, as has been pointed out a number of times, removing the liability from equation has allowed manufacturers to skip the lions share of their R&D - whether or not that is a good thing is another conversation.

Which is one of my concerns. And it's a very valid and fair one to have.

4 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I have no doubt medicine has improved from 40 to 50 years ago, however that doesn't mean there shouldn't be questions and concerns about a vaccine that is rushed through. 

Which is one of my concerns. And it's a very valid and fair one to have.

Which bits of R&D have been skipped? 

Got a call from the hospital about an hour ago telling me that my little Ma has taken a turn for the worse.

The next 24 hours are critical and given my mam's other ailments, infections and underlying health conditions they're not at all hopeful.

I feel completely helpless and broken.

• Upvote 19

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Got a call from the hospital about an hour ago telling me that my little Ma has taken a turn for the worse.

The next 24 hours are critical and given my mam's other ailments, infections and underlying health conditions they're not at all hopeful.

Sorry to hear this mate. 

Fuck this virus 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Hopefully she’ll pull through. All the best mate. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I've just read the last few pages to discover you and your lass have tested positive yourselves?

Fight the bastard, beat the bastard. I wish you both all the best mate.

Yeah we did about 5/6 weeks ago mate, thanks. Still feeling it a bit now but nothing like it was. Praying your mum pulls through fella. 

9 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Thinking of you mate. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Sorry to hear this, can't imagine what you must be going through. Hope she fights it. 

• Upvote 1

In relation to the  vaccine, my two penneth worth. 

Necessity being the mother of invention, organisations that would normally compete have worked together/shared information. This has helped speed up results. 

Limitless money and resources are being thrown at the problem. This has help speed up results.

The necessity is getting/keeping the economies going, so every major government wants this vaccine and has aided by money, resources or taking away liability for long term/lack of testing, trials. This has helped speed up results.

Very, mega rich people want the same as governments. This has helped speed up results.

I (obviously) have no idea, but I would imagine I part of testing, trials that takes time is looking at long term side effects. For reasons above and due to government wavers, this is not necessary. This has helped speed up results.

So we are where we are.

I understand why people are saying we can't know the long term effects, so I am not happy. I think that is perfectly reasonable.

I understand people saying, it works in most cases and we can't sit in for years upon years, so take it now and get back to a relative normal. I think this is perfectly reasonable.

The distribution of the vaccine, at least in the U.K. seems to me to mean that most people on here won't get near it until the middle of next year, at the earliest. By then both sides will be a little closer.