You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Begs the question what else have they got wrong? and how did they get it so wrong. I'd have thought having a fairly accurate assumption of how many people they calculate to catch covid and how many people would die with covid would er you know be a big part of their job. Maybe they're just plucking random numbers out of the air or taking a bit of a guess, who knows? The margin of the error dosnt inspire confidence though.

What else have they got wrong? Where have you been for the last 10 months.  They’ve got everything wrong.  

After fucking up:

PPE

T&T

The app (both of them)

Awarding contracts to their mates

you think it’s surprising they got the numbers wrong?  It’s not the signs of a conspiracy it’s the sign of further incompetence. 

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What else have they got wrong? Where have you been for the last 10 months.  They’ve got everything wrong.  

After fucking up:

PPE

T&T

The app (both of them)

Awarding contracts to their mates

you think it’s surprising they got the numbers wrong?  It’s not the signs of a conspiracy it’s the sign of further incompetence. 

2 tru, 2 tru dat Rico

Continuing with the topic of is there a level of collective immunity from a couple of days ago, even though Lombardy is again hard hit in Italy (10k out of 37K on 1/6 of total population), according to an article in WSJ, Bergamo isn't, it is mainly in Milan. So, it may be that there is a level at which virus has not many places left to go, or, alternatively, it may be that this time in Bergamo they didn't have a prolonged period of virus going around undetected, possibly coupled with better measures and more awareness. What is fascinating is that there seems to be relatively little interest overall in how high incidence areas are faring in the second wave.

21 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Continuing with the topic of is there a level of collective immunity from a couple of days ago, even though Lombardy is again hard hit in Italy (10k out of 37K on 1/6 of total population), according to an article in WSJ, Bergamo isn't, it is mainly in Milan. So, it may be that there is a level at which virus has not many places left to go, or, alternatively, it may be that this time in Bergamo they didn't have a prolonged period of virus going around undetected, possibly coupled with better measures and more awareness. What is fascinating is that there seems to be relatively little interest overall in how high incidence areas are faring in the second wave.

I'd imagine most interest would have been from the 'we've all had it'/ 'b..b..but T-Cells'/ 'there won't be a second wave' brigade. Hopefully that's a rather smaller group these days, although no doubt they'll be back in force if there's any sort of figure they can jump on.

Lots of stats showing positive moves with the virus. Below are the latest Zoe figures both nationally and locally, plus the LCC stats show more decrease. Zoe will be ahead of LCC by about a week. The Zoe national stats have been flat at upper 42k lover 43k for ages, so while it's a small decrease it would seem reasonable this is the start of the impact of the new rules. 

Screenshot_20201107-093855.jpg

Screenshot_20201107-093939.jpg

Screenshot_20201107-094214.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I'd imagine most interest would have been from the 'we've all had it'/ 'b..b..but T-Cells'/ 'there won't be a second wave' brigade. Hopefully that's a rather smaller group these days.

I actually find it fascinating that people would on social media still share various studies with new claims and findings often from dubious sources or obscure research, clearly with media shelflife of a day or two yet nobody seems to care about what happens with pandemic in different areas and what it can tell us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

How is being sceptical that all necessary precautions are being taken a conspiracy? 

If anything it’s the opposite you fucking moron.

A healthy dose of scepticism should be advised especially as it’s been rushed and GSK have a clause which excludes them from any responsibility if it causes adverse effects because it’s been rushed out.

Learn to talk before shouting, it’ll serve you well.

Which bits of testing have been missed? 

The bit about excluding responsibility isn’t true either.  They’ve agreed a liability cap after which the EU takes over.  Otherwise they wouldn’t supply it, why would they risk their entire business?  

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Which bits of testing have been missed? 

None, that I’m aware of, but make sure everything is correct and proper before announcing, or leaking, you have a silver bullet.

I know literally every resource in the world has been thrown at this and it’s in everybody’s best interest to get it done, but I also know that every two bit cretin will be shouting at them faster, faster.

Take all the time thats needed to get it right as we need it to work. If that’s another month or two, what difference does it really make if we can get the other stuff done properly and manage until then? 

Edit: Their business is pharmacology they should be responsible for what they produce as Ford would be responsible for break failure on its cars.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

None, that I’m aware of, but make sure everything is correct and proper before announcing, or leaking, you have a silver bullet.

I know literally every resource in the world has been thrown at this and it’s in everybody’s best interest to get it done, but I also know that every two bit cretin will be shouting at them faster, faster.

Take all the time thats needed to get it right as we need it to work. If that’s another month or two, what difference does it really make if we can get the other stuff done properly and manage until then? 

Edit: Their business is pharmacology they should be responsible for what they produce as Ford would be responsible for break failure on its cars.

Hold on, you’ve said it’s not been tested properly.  

They may not want to take the risk. If they have a side effect rate of 0.0001% they may think that in a potential dose volume of a few billion they don’t want to get involved. Perfectly reasonable. 

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Hold on, you’ve said it’s not been tested properly.  

They may not want to take the risk. If they have a side effect rate of 0.0001% they may think that in a potential dose volume of a few billion they don’t want to get involved. Perfectly reasonable. 

Dr Friede, of the WHO, said that, regardless of clinical trials and tests carried out, there would still be a chance of complications once the vaccine had been used on large numbers of people.

He said: “In an outbreak setting we can test the vaccine on 100, 1,000, 10,000 people and not pick up a safety signal that may become apparent when the vaccine is used on 100,000 people.

For vaccines that are being introduced outside of pandemics, the time is taken to test them broadly – this luxury is not feasible in a pandemic. Safety testing will be essential – but we can’t spend four to five years proving absolute safety when the population is dying at a rate of 1 per cent.”

The good doctor would go along with the assertion that we’ve not had the opportunity to do things as they’d need, under normal circumstances, to be done. 

Im looking forward to the vaccine so I can get on with my fucking life, but it needs to be right. The swine flu vaccine was rushed and had problems, so there is a recent precedent. 

My main issue is that politics and commerce are the main drivers here and not the full public health focus it should have.

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Dr Friede, of the WHO, said that, regardless of clinical trials and tests carried out, there would still be a chance of complications once the vaccine had been used on large numbers of people.

He said: “In an outbreak setting we can test the vaccine on 100, 1,000, 10,000 people and not pick up a safety signal that may become apparent when the vaccine is used on 100,000 people.

For vaccines that are being introduced outside of pandemics, the time is taken to test them broadly – this luxury is not feasible in a pandemic. Safety testing will be essential – but we can’t spend four to five years proving absolute safety when the population is dying at a rate of 1 per cent.”

The good doctor would go along with the assertion that we’ve not had the opportunity to do things as they’d need, under normal circumstances, to be done. 

Im looking forward to the vaccine so I can get on with my fucking life, but it needs to be right. The swine flu vaccine was rushed and had problems, so there is a recent precedent. 

My main issue is that politics and commerce are the main drivers here and not the full public health focus it should have.

It may be a coincidence but I said exactly the same as ‘the good doctor’. Do they teach being patronising or is natural? 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It may be a coincidence but I said exactly the same as ‘the good doctor’. Do they teach being patronising or is natural? 

So the same point that backs up the argument you are critical of, you are in agreement with? 

We’re arguing at cross purposes here and it’s pointless.

22 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

So the same point that backs up the argument you are critical of, you are in agreement with? 

We’re arguing at cross purposes here and it’s pointless.

No, if they had a vaccine in a ‘normal’ time they could limit the supply.  Say, 10m doses as that would be within acceptable risks. If they are successful here the world will want billions of doses. Outside their risk limits - so they are asking the EU to take the additional risk. 

Edit: plus, all the outliers that would happen over a long time would happen immediately.  So, say people with weird drug combinations that interact with the vaccine.  You’d get one of those, understand why it happened and then amend the advice accordingly.  In this circumstance those things would all happen in the first few weeks with no time to react.  

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

One of my oldest mates and a big Reds fan has had it recently and I spoke to him on Facebook a couple of days ago after he got out of hospital and he said he'd phone me in the next few days. Just found out this morning he's had a stroke and been rushed back in,only 54 too. I'm a bit gutted at the moment.

All the best to you and your friend. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

One of my oldest mates and a big Reds fan has had it recently and I spoke to him on Facebook a couple of days ago after he got out of hospital and he said he'd phone me in the next few days. Just found out this morning he's had a stroke and been rushed back in,only 54 too. I'm a bit gutted at the moment.

Sorry to hear that mate. All the best to him.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

All the best to him mate. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I'm out walking the coast everyday and hoping to stumble across some dogging.  I'd fuck a dead seal pup if I found it washed up on the beach.  

Will say this though, lockdown gives urbanites a taste of what winter is like for rural communities.  Oh you can't go Primark? Bummer. Pret closed? Wahhhh. 

Prick tease 

PXL_20201107_154311465.jpg