You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

"British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the localised approach could work if everyone stuck to the rules."

The fucking idiot, almost nobody is sticking to the rules. It doesn't help that very few know the rules or that the rules appear to change depending on your powers of negotiation with the government. 

Saving money, losing lives. 

It might have helped if the prime minister's puppet master had adhered to the rules back in may. Or perhaps if he'd been prosecuted and sacked as that would have sent a real messsage. But instead the message was "do what the fuck you want and try and find any loophole". It's actually just the same as that post @Dougie Do'insDo'ins made on I think the trump or US election thread of the "Gus" piece from Bill Maher. Posted again in case anyone missed it. 

16 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

On the plus side the tier 3 appears to be working in Liverpool. Here are the weekly figures as of a couple of days ago. 

Screenshot_20201030-123054.jpg

Governments have in general been incompetent, but I find there's a sense in a lot of these western countries that people think they're doing a good job being safe when they're really not. The Asian countries, along with a lot of help from pretty controlling governments in most cases, have done a great job, and a massive part of that is that those populations just have known how to act during a pandemic. They have experience with this stuff in the past more than the west, they have a history of mask wearing and generally strict hygienic practices. That's helped them a lot, surely.

The west just isn't prepared for this kind of crisis, the culture isn't right for it. I mean, just as an example, if I was to poll people in my office if they're fine with the security measures and if they've done a good job being safe, they'd say yes, and these are people who have lunch together every day in cramped boardrooms. They think obsessively wiping down the printer with a disinfecting wipe is a worthwhile safety measure but will hang out together in groups. It's ignorance and governments to be fair, can't do much about that.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its 50/50 to be honest. I hate this fucking government as much as anyone and they have absolutely killed people with their fuckong around. Initial lockdown was far too late, masks should have been brought in compulsory a lot sooner and then policed better and all that eat out help out / fuck off abroad / schools piling back in with little or no social distancing has been an absolute disaster. You have to admit though that large parts of the public just don't give a fuck. Its easy to say loads don't know the rules but they couldn't have been much clearer from the very start at least and it doesn't take too much common sense to think ok, I will keep a distance, I will wear a mask in shops etc and no i won't just throw parties etc and surround myself with shit loads of people. Arrogant bastards. 

The government are absolutely cunts. So are lots of people. 

I was saying to someone the other day, if you just took every initial choice they have made along the way and reversed it, we'd be in a better place now. They might have locked us down, but it was too late. They decided to release lockdown with a world class "test and trace" but instead of using available technology with the app, lost months trying to be smart arsed and do it themselves. Then they put Dido in charge  of test and trace. Then while we still can't trace, they literally pay us to go out and eat. Instead of using local test and trace, they use serco and get shocked by the cheap students they hire going back to the universities they themselves opened, yet again undermining test and trace. The numbers start spiralling out of control as soon as the schools reopen and the uni's go back and instead of strong lockdowns because we've seen this path before, they arse about with this tier 1/2/3 system. They seem so focused on lining their own and mates pockets there seems little appetite for looking for screening help with the cheap rapid tests. The list is endless. While at times they might have eventually come to the right decision, their initial choice every single step of the way has been defined by greed and incompetence. It's pretty tough to see how this could have been handled worse. 

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its 50/50 to be honest. I hate this fucking government as much as anyone and they have absolutely killed people with their fuckong around. Initial lockdown was far too late, masks should have been brought in compulsory a lot sooner and then policed better and all that eat out help out / fuck off abroad / schools piling back in with little or no social distancing has been an absolute disaster. You have to admit though that large parts of the public just don't give a fuck. Its easy to say loads don't know the rules but they couldn't have been much clearer from the very start at least and it doesn't take too much common sense to think ok, I will keep a distance, I will wear a mask in shops etc and no i won't just throw parties etc and surround myself with shit loads of people. Arrogant bastards. 

The government are absolutely cunts. So are lots of people. 

A lot of people rightly or wrongly (wrongly, obviously, but understandably) take their cue from the government though. If they continue to make fucking atrocious decisions it dents confidence and leads to people thinking "fuck this". 

The idea of a short circuit breaker lockdown would be almost universally supported if the government supported those businesses that would feel the economic pain, weren't so brazenly treating regions differently, and if they hadn't just wasted the last few months filling their mates pockets with public money and generally making it up as they go along re regional restrictions. 

People should take personal responsibility and hopefully have some sense of civic duty and care for others, but there will always be some people that are basically a bit of a bell. It's partly the role of the government to ensure they limit the negative behaviour of them.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was saying to someone the other day, if you just took every initial choice they have made along the way and reversed it, we'd be in a better place now. They might have locked us down, but it was too late. They decided to release lockdown with a world class "test and trace" but instead of using available technology with the app, lost months trying to be smart arsed and do it themselves. Then they put Dido in charge  of test and trace. Then while we still can't trace, they literally pay us to go out and eat. Instead of using local test and trace, they use serco and get shocked by the cheap students they hire going back to the universities they themselves opened, yet again undermining test and trace. The numbers start spiralling out of control as soon as the schools reopen and the uni's go back and instead of strong lockdowns because we've seen this path before, they arse about with this tier 1/2/3 system. They seem so focused on lining their own and mates pockets there seems little appetite for looking for screening help with the cheap rapid tests. The list is endless. While at times they might have eventually come to the right decision, their initial choice every single step of the way has been defined by greed and incompetence. It's pretty tough to see how this could have been handled worse. 

I agree mate but it doesn't take away from people being cunts as well. 

Saw my 5 week old niece for only the second time last night and even two weeks after being given the all clear from Covid to leave the house etc I still wouldn't pick her up and still stood across the room with a mask on. Breaks my heart I've not even held her yet but why risk it? I'd rather just play it as safe as I can for those around me. 

Why? Because I'm a different type of cunt. One that gives a fuck. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It might have helped if the prime minister's puppet master had adhered to the rules back in may. Or perhaps if he'd been prosecuted and sacked as that would have sent a real messsage. But instead the message was "do what the fuck you want and try and find any loophole". 

I agree to some degree, but if you're flouting the rules or being a selfish prick because Cummings did it, so that makes it ok. You're a fucking idiot that would have found an excuse to do it anyway. I've read about all of the people that have flouted rules and yet I have no urge to flout them.

My old nan would have said "would you put your hand in the fire if they did it too?" 

There's been a whole host of well known names and even members of parliament that have done incredibly irresponsible acts. Travelling on trains the length of the country with a positive covid result. Does that mean I can go and do stupid things now and blame it on them?  

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

A lot of people rightly or wrongly (wrongly, obviously, but understandably) take their cue from the government though. If they continue to make fucking atrocious decisions it dents confidence and leads to people thinking "fuck this". 

The idea of a short circuit breaker lockdown would be almost universally supported if the government supported those businesses that would feel the economic pain, weren't so brazenly treating regions differently, and if they hadn't just wasted the last few months filling their mates pockets with public money and generally making it up as they go along re regional restrictions. 

People should take personal responsibility and hopefully have some sense of civic duty and care for others, but there will always be some people that are basically a bit of a bell. It's partly the role of the government to ensure they limit the negative behaviour of them.

Yeah all them people marching through London / Brighton not wearing masks. the twats in shops calling people "sheep" when challenged.... They are getting more and more prominent and yeah I get that people are getting fed-up but I bet most of the mouth cunts haven't obeyed it much at all. 

For clarity, I am not in anyway absolving the government of blame but its not just a handful of cunts its millions and they are just prolonging the high infection rates whilst spouting that we are all sheep. 

Just now, Jedd Drudge said:

I agree to some degree, but if you're flouting the rules or being a selfish prick because Cummings did it, so that makes it ok. You're a fucking idiot that would have found an excuse to do it anyway. 

My old nan would have said "would you put your hand in the fire if they did it too?" 

There's been a whole host of well known names and even members of parliament that have done incredibly irresponsible acts. Travelling on trains the length of the country with a positive covid result. Does that mean I can go and do stupid things now? 

In Cummings case It's the lack of any consequences as well as his ridiculous behaviour, followed by pretty much unanimous backing from the government. There's a lot of selfish cunts out there who will have taken that as a signal to do what they want too.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I agree mate but it doesn't take away from people being cunts as well. 

Saw my 5 week old niece for only the second time last night and even two weeks after being given the all clear from Covid to leave the house etc I still wouldn't pick her up and still stood across the room with a mask on. Breaks my heart I've not even held her yet but why risk it? I'd rather just play it as safe as I can for those around me. 

Why? Because I'm a different type of cunt. One that gives a fuck. 

Good for you mate.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

In Cummings case It's the lack of any consequences as well as his ridiculous behaviour, followed by pretty much unanimous backing from the government. There's a lot of selfish cunts out there who will have taken that as a signal to do what they want too.

And they would have used any other excuse too, but yeah the lack of action has undermined the message somewhat I agree. As far as I know that stupid bitch MP from Scotland has simply gone into hiding and refuses to resign. Despite calling for Cummings to resign. 

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18824847.rutherglen-banner-calls-margaret-ferriers-resignation/

Just now, Jedd Drudge said:

And they would have used any other excuse too, but yeah the lack of action has undermined the message somewhat I agree. As far as I know that stupid bitch MP from Scotland has simply gone into hiding and refuses to resign. Despite calling for Cummings to resign. 

Yeah, she's a disgrace, probably worse than what Cummings did.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah all them people marching through London / Brighton not wearing masks. the twats in shops calling people "sheep" when challenged.... They are getting more and more prominent and yeah I get that people are getting fed-up but I bet most of the mouth cunts haven't obeyed it much at all. 

For clarity, I am not in anyway absolving the government of blame but its not just a handful of cunts its millions and they are just prolonging the high infection rates whilst spouting that we are all sheep. 

Prolonging high infection rates and prolonging the very conditions that they're apparently protesting about.

To be honest, I wasn't quite so forgiving in my thoughts yesterday. I was watching the news and they showed this kid who was probably only about five or six years old. Had a fucking shopping list of ailments, already living a difficult enough life. His old man was, predictably, struggling to control himself when interviewed. Anyway, if this kid gets covid he's almost certainly curtains.

The next story was of a group of about 100 smelly cunts at a rave. Obviously zero masks, etc. 

At the time I was hoping one of them could be randomly selected and executed on national TV. 

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Governments have in general been incompetent, but I find there's a sense in a lot of these western countries that people think they're doing a good job being safe when they're really not. The Asian countries, along with a lot of help from pretty controlling governments in most cases, have done a great job, and a massive part of that is that those populations just have known how to act during a pandemic. They have experience with this stuff in the past more than the west, they have a history of mask wearing and generally strict hygienic practices. That's helped them a lot, surely.

The west just isn't prepared for this kind of crisis, the culture isn't right for it. I mean, just as an example, if I was to poll people in my office if they're fine with the security measures and if they've done a good job being safe, they'd say yes, and these are people who have lunch together every day in cramped boardrooms. They think obsessively wiping down the printer with a disinfecting wipe is a worthwhile safety measure but will hang out together in groups. It's ignorance and governments to be fair, can't do much about that.

It's often strange how most people's minds work. I remember during the first wave, people would be standing in orderly lines, 3 yards apart and waiting to enter my local supermarket for half an hour, it is small and would let in only five. However, once we were in, all four of my rule abiding comrades would be in my lap around the milk shelf. As if people struggle to comprehend the basic concepts, you are not safe by the number five, you are safe if five of us have enough space to properly distance. There was no point waiting in distanced lines otherwise. An early mask adopters were the worse.

Or now, old people would walk around the neighbourhood with masks on and keep their distance, but as soon they meet someone they know, all distancing goes out of the window and there is half an hour of talking. I guess you can only get it from strangers is the general idea. People are weird.  

• Upvote 1

Prolonging high infection rates and prolonging the very conditions that they're apparently protesting about.

To be honest, I wasn't quite so forgiving in my thoughts yesterday. I was watching the news and they showed this kid who was probably only about five or six years old. Had a fucking shopping list of ailments, already living a difficult enough life. His old man was, predictably, struggling to control himself when interviewed. Anyway, if this kid gets covid he's almost certainly curtains.

The next story was of a group of about 100 smelly cunts at a rave. Obviously zero masks, etc. 

At the time I was hoping one of them was randomly selected and executed on national TV. 

Only 1?

Just now, Harry's Lad said:

Only 1?

I was thinking they could take of all them and use them to educate people about the statistics. Have them all in a row. Remove the first 20 or 30, "these would be asymptomatic", then the next 50/60. "These will have mild symptoms".

Until they get to the last one.

"And sadly, a small percentage of them..."

It probably would stop people partying in the middle of a fucking pandemic.

I was thinking they could take of all them and use them to educate people about the statistics. Have them all in a row. Remove the first 20 or 30, "these would be asymptomatic", then the next 50/60. "These will have mild symptoms".

Very succinct.

I approve.

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The problem is, the last one wouldn't be one of the ravers, it would be his grandmother. Who may have a nice flat.

22 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

At the time I was hoping one of them could be randomly selected and executed on national TV. 

I now understand the Purge movie franchise. A few tweaks to the rules and yeah let's do the selfish cunts in. 

45 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

I agree to some degree, but if you're flouting the rules or being a selfish prick because Cummings did it, so that makes it ok. You're a fucking idiot that would have found an excuse to do it anyway. I've read about all of the people that have flouted rules and yet I have no urge to flout them.

There's been a whole host of well known names and even members of parliament that have done incredibly irresponsible acts. Travelling on trains the length of the country with a positive covid result. Does that mean I can go and do stupid things now and blame it on them?  

But this is the thing, people where adhering to it right up until that point. You can't alter human behaviour. It's like a few years back HMRC got behavioural scientists in to look at how they tried to get people to do their annual tax returns. The behavioural people told them as a nation we like to do as others are doing, so all the messaging started to be about 90-odd% of people (or whatever the number was) do their returns on time, so should you and they targeted mail shots to regular late offenders. And it worked and more did their tax returns on time. Lots and lots of people don't think of the consequences of their action, but if they think everyone is following the rules, they will too. Goverment messaging and behaviour has been absolutely crucial in the breakdown of lockdown & social distancing adherence. 

This tier system is a load of bollocks. I was looking on the BBC site earlier and there are loads of places with higher infection rates than Halton but we are in tier 3 whilst some of them are in tier 1. I’ve seen several Tory cabinet ministers asked this week how an area gets out of tier 3 and none of them can explain and just say people need to follow the rules. It’s still herd immunity without being upfront about it, isn’t it? 

27 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

This tier system is a load of bollocks. I was looking on the BBC site earlier and there are loads of places with higher infection rates than Halton but we are in tier 3 whilst some of them are in tier 1. I’ve seen several Tory cabinet ministers asked this week how an area gets out of tier 3 and none of them can explain and just say people need to follow the rules. It’s still herd immunity without being upfront about it, isn’t it? 

I reckon we're miles away from heard immunity. And as for how do we get out,  Chris whitty has already said the current rules are unlikely to be enough, so there is not path. Hopefully looking at the last 2 weeks stats from Liverpool it's not unachievable.