You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Interesting stuff- so it looks like washing hands isn't really that important (although probably a good idea otherwise), and face masks, ventilation and reducing time spent in proximity to each other are pretty much vital, especially in conjunction with each other. I wonder how many classrooms throw the windows open during lessons?

They'd have fucking murder off me if they opened windows in my kids school, I'm not having my little Johnny coming home with a stiff neck.

9 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

But on the other hand you’ve got front pages like this. Only old and vulnerable people though so who gives a fuck. 

AE8B888E-0788-4E61-B3BB-DD31A9DA0AE7.png

Ah well, I'm a grand old 35 now, so it's time for my vulnerable body to fuck off and make space for some other cunt. 

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I think there is a valid point to be made about the viability of lockdowns and people's willingness to go along with them.  Thing is it probably shouldn't be made by some rich wanker with obvious monetary motives. 

Melbourne has just started to come out of our second lockdown that started on 9th July (compulsory face masks outside your house from 23rd July) then stepped up on 2nd August so that we couldn't travel more than 5km from home, were allowed out only for 1 hour a day.  Schools were closed, all non-essential retail was shut down, pubs, cafes and restaurants were takeaway only, couldn't visit anyone in their house.

At the height we had 687 new cases on 5th August.  We had 0 new cases a couple of days ago (3 today, known source).

I reckon there is next to zero chance of people going along with a third lockdown, people would just be too pissed off. 

Just have to hope the state government have a track and trace system all up and running properly and they can shut down the odd cluster that is bound to pop up.  If they don't we are probably in the shit.

You'd hope your hemisphere should be through the worst now as it's heading into spring down there isn't it with hopefully a vaccine around the corner, certainly before your autumn kicks in anyway. 

I think short, sharp lockdowns (a circuit break, if you will) aren't a bad idea when it's clear health systems are going to be overwhelmed. I'd take another one now for four/six weeks if it was guaranteed to get the curve down over Christmas and see us through to spring, by time for the vaccine and other therapeutics to start being rolled out. 

There has to be proper support for business though, no point in any of this if we emerge to some kind of ghost  town where people are topping themselves left and right because they've got nothing left.

Uh-oh. 

A coronavirus variant that originated in Spanish farm workers has spread rapidly through much of Europe since the summer, and now accounts for the majority of new Covid-19 cases in several countries, including 80% in the UK, the Financial Times (paywall) reports.

An international team of scientists that has been tracking the virus through its genetic mutations described the extraordinary spread of the variant, called 20A.EU1, in a research paper to be published on Thursday.

Their work suggests that people returning from holiday in Spain played a key role in transmitting the virus across Europe, raising questions about whether the second wave that is sweeping the continent could have been reduced by improved screening at airports and other transport hubs.

0A0552E3-7729-4EA3-B799-258E3172DBEF.gif

• Upvote 3

"You don't have to risk spreading the virus by going to a heavily infected country and potentially bringing it back with you but you can risk spreading the virus by going to a heavily infected country and potentially bringing it back with you if you like" 

Just found out that my dad has tested positive. His wife works in a care home and is positive as well.

A nervous couple of weeks ahead as my dad is one of the vulnerable people who need to shield due to pre-existing conditions (he has to wear an oxygen mask at night to sleep due to issues with his diaphragm).

• Upvote 18

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Just found out that my dad has tested positive. His wife works in a care home and is positive as well.

A nervous couple of weeks ahead as my dad is one of the vulnerable people who need to shield due to pre-existing conditions (he has to wear an oxygen mask at night to sleep due to issues with his diaphragm).

Thoughts with you and fingers crossed all is well mate. 

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Fingers crossed for you mate. Did someone say taking vitamins C and D may help the fight against it? 

10 minutes ago, Brownie said:

That sounds shitty as hell mate, crossing everything for you all.

19 minutes ago, Brownie said:

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your family.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, clangers said:

As Dido Harding stated no one could have possibly predicted this apparently. We're well past the point given the sheer scale of positive tests where even an effective test and trace system could cope.

We're now on a 8-10 week path where the whole country ends up in an incrementally implemented defacto lockdown without Boris having to officially announce a national lockdown which in turn avoids him having to piss off his rabid backbench MP's.

I think this "nobody could have possibly predicted" is the new line from these cunts. i have heard it from 3 different government ministers in the last 24 hours "who could have predicted with such a low number of cases in the summer it could have possibly come back like this". Well just about everyone with a brain. 

16 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Latest React study looks grim. 96,000 infections a day and the R is 1.6

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/207534/coronavirus-infections-rising-rapidly-england-react/

Swab tests on more than 85,000 people across England have shown an increase in R and that coronavirus infections are growing nation-wide.

An interim report led by Imperial College London and Ipsos MORI, which includes tests taken between 16th and 25th October, shows that the prevalence of infection has more than doubled since the last round of testing, with 1.28% infected.

This means an estimated 128 people per 10,000 of England’s population has the virus that causes COVID-19, compared to 60 as of 5th October.

This corresponds to 96,000 new infections each day.

Infections have increased across all age groups and areas of the country, with the North remaining the worst affected. Young people aged 18-24 continue to have the highest prevalence of infection but the steepest rise was seen in adults aged 55-64, which saw rates triple compared to the previous round.

The overall reproduction number (R) has increased to 1.6, with infections doubling every 9 days, meaning that the epidemic is continuing to grow across the country.

The Zoe app (which is also imperial, i wonder if they share any data or if the 2 studies are separate?), has been flat for a few days now - I have not tracked too closely as I've been pretty busy with work. But after being flat for 10 days or so at 19k new cases then then over another week to 10 days escalated to 43k, it does seem flat again. Liverpool has about 25% less cases than it did a week ago. So the data is not all doom and gloom, although of course we are achieving this with millions of people in tier 3 or worse in wales etc. 

56 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your family.

How’s the family doing today HL hope they’re all well?

Thoughts with you and the family too Brownie. 

One of my good mates lost his dad yesterday to a heart attack. That’s the third one of my mates to lose a parent this year, all suddenly (none to Covid thankfully).

2020 really is a bag of shite, even winning the league had the shine taken off it as we couldn’t celebrate it properly. 

• Upvote 3