You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

25 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

A quick update on my Grandson.

My lad says the little fella is doing ok atm, as is his Mum.

My lad says he doesn't feel great but is managing, so fingers crossed they'll all be ok soon.

Thank you all for your concern and best wishes, it really is appreciated.

Some encouraging news amongst the gloomy shite, hope they're all on the mend and feeling better soon.

My mum and sister (in the same bubble) have just tested positive but they're both feeling alright at the moment. We saw them though (outside and at a bit of a distance - Newcastle is in tier 2) on Sunday and I'm a bit paranoid about the wife catching it, we've a baby due in two weeks. It's bad enough for expectant mums when they don't have Covid, fuck knows what it'll be like if either of us get it.

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, Manny said:

Some encouraging news amongst the gloomy shite, hope they're all on the mend and feeling better soon.

My mum and sister (in the same bubble) have just tested positive but they're both feeling alright at the moment. We saw them though (outside and at a bit of a distance - Newcastle is in tier 2) on Sunday and I'm a bit paranoid about the wife catching it, we've a baby due in two weeks. It's bad enough for expectant mums when they don't have Covid, fuck knows what it'll be like if either of us get it.

Thank you.

I know exactly how you feel. 

Fingers crossed for you all mate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

London experiencing 8 deaths per day on average. There must be something in the saturation theory, surely.

The reason London isn't as badly hit at the moment is because they have 5 wizards that live in the Tower of London and they've madly been casting spells to keep the Covid at bay. 3 of them were on holiday last March/April at Butlins in Minehead and 2 were at a conference  along with Paddington the Bear in deepest darkest Peru so they couldn't do anything in the Spring

Unfortunately, their magic juice is running out as its production has been outsourced to Serco so presently London is going to be as fucked as everywhere else

The End

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

The key was opening the schools in September. The cases started spiking a few weeks later. They won't shut the schools in a new lockdown so it's moot. 

If only someone had warned this might happen months before...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/31/prof-chris-whittys-trade-offs-warning-could-mean-pubs-closing/

16 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

That's how my Son, his partner and my Grandson have caught it. His partner has a couple of kids from a previous marriage, both now at High School.

The eldest got sent home because of a Covid case in his class and told to self isolate.

Unfortunately, he had already caught it himself and so the inevitable happened.

But it's ok.

Children don't really get sick with it and they aren't super spreaders.

My arse.

Neither kids nor teachers/staff are allowed to wear masks even if they want to.

It's gross incompetence on a criminal scale.

• Upvote 1

Latest React study looks grim. 96,000 infections a day and the R is 1.6

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/207534/coronavirus-infections-rising-rapidly-england-react/

Swab tests on more than 85,000 people across England have shown an increase in R and that coronavirus infections are growing nation-wide.

An interim report led by Imperial College London and Ipsos MORI, which includes tests taken between 16th and 25th October, shows that the prevalence of infection has more than doubled since the last round of testing, with 1.28% infected.

This means an estimated 128 people per 10,000 of England’s population has the virus that causes COVID-19, compared to 60 as of 5th October.

This corresponds to 96,000 new infections each day.

Infections have increased across all age groups and areas of the country, with the North remaining the worst affected. Young people aged 18-24 continue to have the highest prevalence of infection but the steepest rise was seen in adults aged 55-64, which saw rates triple compared to the previous round.

The overall reproduction number (R) has increased to 1.6, with infections doubling every 9 days, meaning that the epidemic is continuing to grow across the country.

16 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Any non paywall links?

Nah mate, just seen the telegraph running with the 'second wave worse than the first' and soft arse Peston was on about some other stuff running in the spectator. His show is on in a bit if you can stomach his shit.

• Upvote 1

Julian Metcalfe, the founder of Pret and Itsu, said another lockdown would be ‘impossible’ adding: ‘My Maserati fund won’t recover if we do it again to save a few thousand lives of very old or vulnerable people.’

Society won’t recover? Really Julian? Black Death? Two world wars? Ring any bells you callous prick.

• Upvote 2

I think there is a valid point to be made about the viability of lockdowns and people's willingness to go along with them.  Thing is it probably shouldn't be made by some rich wanker with obvious monetary motives. 

Melbourne has just started to come out of our second lockdown that started on 9th July (compulsory face masks outside your house from 23rd July) then stepped up on 2nd August so that we couldn't travel more than 5km from home, were allowed out only for 1 hour a day.  Schools were closed, all non-essential retail was shut down, pubs, cafes and restaurants were takeaway only, couldn't visit anyone in their house.

At the height we had 687 new cases on 5th August.  We had 0 new cases a couple of days ago (3 today, known source).

I reckon there is next to zero chance of people going along with a third lockdown, people would just be too pissed off. 

Just have to hope the state government have a track and trace system all up and running properly and they can shut down the odd cluster that is bound to pop up.  If they don't we are probably in the shit.

8 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Any non paywall links?

I think the Spectator gives a couple of free articles per month if you want to scroll, although I might be wrong.

Edit, just had a look over there and its grim, on the plus side I didnt know Tony Moanero ghost wrote articles in the Spectator...

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-humble-biscuit-has-a-noble-history

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Interesting stuff- so it looks like washing hands isn't really that important (although probably a good idea otherwise), and face masks, ventilation and reducing time spent in proximity to each other are pretty much vital, especially in conjunction with each other. I wonder how many classrooms throw the windows open during lessons?