You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I have to wear one at my lads footy for about 2 hours max. My brother has to wear one underground in a tunnel for about 12 hours.

Doesn’t mean I can’t comment that I find it uncomfortable, as it’s just true. I don’t know how he copes with it, although I suppose we just end up adapting.

Yes, it's not much fun. Wasn't much fun when it was over 40 degrees in the summer. But at least I wasn't working outside on a construction site at the time, or in a hospital.

I just think for the majority of us it's not much of an imposition. We do something collectively to try and stop quite so many people dying. I suppose as long as you're (not you specifically!) wearing one it doesn't matter all that much how much you're moaning about it. 

I wonder how long we'll continue with it after a vaccine. Whether or not it'll become the norm as it appears to have done in some parts of Asia.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, it's not much fun. Wasn't much fun when it was over 40 degrees in the summer. But at least I wasn't working outside on a construction site at the time, or in a hospital.

I just think for the majority of us it's not much of an imposition. We do something collectively to try and stop quite so many people dying. I suppose as long as you're (not you specifically!) wearing one it doesn't matter all that much how much you're moaning about it. 

I wonder how long we'll continue with it after a vaccine. Whether or not it'll become the norm as it appears to have done in some parts of Asia.

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that it could carry on until late 2022.

Including social distancing.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I won’t be wearing one long term, no chance.

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

I don't mind wearing a mask. Apart from the steam up effect I get as a glasses wearer. And, I don't like wearing one shortly after a brew as you get it full of stinky tea breath. Apart from that, it's a very, very minor inconvenience. 

I’m a glasses wearer too, had to start wearing contact lenses at my lads footy as without them I can’t see fuck all!

One bonus is when you have a few shandies on a Saturday night and then get pissed on a Sunday morning from the fumes.

Every cloud.

• Upvote 1

Wore my mask for 14 hours in hospital the other week, the staff there having to wear their masks each full shift. I hardly noticed if I’m honest, some precious little twats will find anything to moan about.

Masks obviously have some benefit over no masks, I mean that’s just common sense. Not all masks are great, some people probably never wash them or wash their hands. It’s not about them, it’s about reducing risks to some degree.

It’s also a psychological thing, it makes you remember to be aware. It probably also reduces anxiety in others when they see everyone else masked up. 

A simple act that could benefit others, a selfless act in a very selfish world. 

Yes this plague might not be too bad for the vast majority, but for some it can be life changing or life ending. Unless you have some super power that allows you to know how it might affect those around you, or even yourself. Just wear a fucking mask you selfish cunt and quit the bitching. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I think stronts needs to just shift his attitude a little bit.

Take the view that social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing might  just might reduce the risk of vulnerable people being infected and being seriously ill. Therefore even a 1% chance of this being true should be enough for us to do these things. Forget which studies agree or disagree, forget yourself but do it for others and try not to whinge too much about it.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

Wore my mask for 14 hours in hospital the other week, the staff there having to wear their masks each full shift. I hardly noticed if I’m honest, some precious little twats will find anything to moan about.

Masks obviously have some benefit over no masks, I mean that’s just common sense. Not all masks are great, some people probably never wash them or wash their hands. It’s not about them, it’s about reducing risks to some degree.

It’s also a psychological thing, it makes you remember to be aware. It probably also reduces anxiety in others when they see everyone else masked up. 

A simple act that could benefit others, a selfless act in a very selfish world. 

Yes this plague might not be too bad for the vast majority, but for some it can be life changing or life ending. Unless you have some super power that allows you to know how it might affect those around you, or even yourself. Just wear a fucking mask you selfish cunt and quit the bitching. 

Great post 

Oh look, wake up to all manner of doom on the news about an Imperial College study saying immunity fades over time, then this buried in the story. Non peer reviewed again, obvs.

The media has been grotesque from word go with this. They made a big deal of the MP in Bolton being hospitalised last week, I checked later on and she'd been discharged a couple of days later. Barely any mention of it. You get it with footballers, headline news (insert name of footballer here) TESTS POSITIVE!!!, two weeks later he's scoring a hat trick..

That tweet above about them running out of capacity in hospitals. I don't doubt it but I'd say a couple of things about that. Hospitals always struggle this time of year, with other bronchial conditions, flu, norovirus etc. I can't remember the last year the Royal or somewhere didn't shut down its A&E to non extreme emergencies. Also, many more people are surviving which is keeping people in hospital and icu for longer.

Just taking these shock stories and lashing them out there for clicks, often before they've even been peer reviewed, or without fully explains the implications (such as a vaccine prompting stronger immune responses than the body anyway) is extremely irresponsible, especially when you consider the mental health atom bomb we're undoubtedly facing.

"Dr Alexander Edwards, associate professor in biomedical technology at the University of Reading, said: "What is not clear is how quickly antibody levels would rise again if a person encounters the virus a second time.

"It is possible they will still rapidly respond, and either have a milder illness, or remain protected through immune memory.

"So even if the rapid antibody test is no longer positive, the person may still be protected from re-infection."

The study, which is yet to be peer reviewed, only measured antibodies.

It is possible that another arm of the immune system called T-cells, may remain active, but there is currently no available test for them.

Scientists are cautious about using the results to predict the protection provided by a vaccine.

They say immunisations may lead to a more robust antibody response.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The mask thing. I have significant lung damage. When I walk up stairs or a slight incline in a mask, I need to lean against something for a minute afterwards and suck air in frantically. It’s not sufficient for me to claim I can’t wear a mask, it’s doable. I have very little truck with the vast majority of people claiming they can’t breathe in them, because it’s so obviously bollocks unless they’re on the lung transplant list or similar. Stop being a cunt and just get on with it.

• Upvote 2

T Cells was trending on twitter so I clicked on it and read a bit, some people saying how convenient these stories about natural herd immunity not working are for the vaccine makers. Shortly after it'd disappeared from trending. Imperial College was there instead though and people talking about the same issue. Shortly after that disappeared too.

It's almost like people are starting to figure out that some buillshit might be on the go but at least twitter can quickly take down the trending subjects I guess. It's supposed to be social media but I think when it comes to twitter, facebook, etc, you could probably call it social engineering instead.

On twitter you can click "show more" at the bottom of trending topics. I did that after T Cells and Imperial College had been taken off trending, and Imperial College was there, just checked again though and that's gone too.

So two subjects where people on one of the world's biggest social media sites are discussing what's plastered all over the media have quickly disappeared not just from the trending topics (where you'd expect people to be discussing something plastered all over the media) but also from the expanded list of trending topics too.

I'd say that's pretty fucking odd to say the least. If they have been removed maybe they can justify it by telling themselves that people are "spreading covid disinformation" or something, which funnily enough could actually be what the media are doing themselves anyway.

12 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

T Cells was trending on twitter so I clicked on it and read a bit, some people saying how convenient these stories about natural herd immunity not working are for the vaccine makers. Shortly after it'd disappeared from trending. Imperial College was there instead though and people talking about the same issue. Shortly after that disappeared too.

It's almost like people are starting to figure out that some buillshit might be on the go but at least twitter can quickly take down the trending subjects I guess. It's supposed to be social media but I think when it comes to twitter, facebook, etc, you could probably call it social engineering instead.

I don't think there's anything sinister going on, antibodies probably do fade for Covid (people catch the cold all the time, and Covid is a cold on steds) but the way it's being reported as 'raises fears for immunity/vaccine' is just mischief in the extreme. 

I remember the scare stories early doors about there being NO window of immunity for Covid, not even a few months, then when it was reported that it might be a few months this was touted as good news becasue it meant a vaccine could create an immune response, and that vaccines typically created one that was far more robust than a natural one anyway. 

Worst case scenario is we're all gonna have to get  two jabs a year for a few years until it's stopped circulating enough to be a problem. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think there's anything sinister going on, antibodies probably do fade for Covid (people catch the cold all the time, and Covid is a cold on steds) but the way it's being reported as 'raises fears for immunity/vaccine' is just mischief in the extreme. 

I remember the scare stories early doors about there being NO window of immunity for Covid, not even a few months, then when it was reported that it might be a few months this was touted as good news becasue it meant a vaccine could create an immune response, and that vaccines typically created one that was far more robust than a natural one anyway. 

Worst case scenario is we're all gonna have to get  two jabs a year for a few years until it's stopped circulating enough to be a problem. 

I'm not sure what's going on because I admit the whole thing is too complex for me to understand, especially when I only read bits here and there now. I think my main gripe was twitter though because I'm fairly sure they're manipulating those trending topics and when it's about something like this it winds me straight up. It wouldn't be much of a surprise I don't think if that was the case, we know how bad facebook is now to some extent so I doubt twitter with the size it is now is working very fairly either.