You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

You clearly aren’t wearing it right. Mine doesn’t really bother me at all. I’d rather we didn’t have to wear one of course but we do so just get on with it and stop crying. 

I have to laugh when people say they don’t make any difference when surgeons wear them daily. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

At least there's one person who will back me up about it being uncomfortable.

A more accurate tagline would be "For the few, not the many".

The first one I got was a bit uncomfortable so i tried a different one. Maybe try a couple of different ones to find one more suitable?

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I wear it over my nose and mouth. Exactly the same as everyone else. Sick of people telling me I'm doing something wrong, as if putting three layers of fabric over the holes you breathe with is going to result in anything other than discomfort.

So it’s discomfort. Not what you were saying earlier. 

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

At least there's one person who will back me up about it being uncomfortable.

A more accurate tagline would be "For the few, not the many".

The one I've got is by Step ahead, you can buy them in Wilkos or Iceland or obviously online for £2. Its a reusable that can be machine washed. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You clearly aren’t wearing it right. Mine doesn’t really bother me at all. I’d rather we didn’t have to wear one of course but we do so just get on with it and stop crying. 

I have to laugh when people say they don’t make any difference when surgeons wear them daily. 

I'm fully embracing it now. I treat going to the shop as if its a red dead redemption mission and i'm putting my mask on because i'm going to tell the shop keeper its a stick up!

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'm not sure they're Covid symptoms I have, it seems more 'sinussy' and like I said it doesn't seem to be progressing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If I start having more symptoms then I'll get tested.

I'm more worried about my Son and Grandson just now to be honest.

Best of luck. 

Spy Bee will be along any moment now to offer his support. 

My daughter has asthma as have I and yes masks can be uncomfortable but she wears hers and when I go out which I admit is rarely, I wear mine.

Masks are for the protection of others, so if you come close to someone wearing a mask and you are wearing yours then there is less risk for both of you.

Only selfish gobshites don't wear theirs.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t like wearing a mask and find it very uncomfortable.

You just get on with it though because it’s for the greater good.

This

I really don't like wearing them as they make me hot etc but in the scheme of things it's a minor inconvenience

I’ve seen Japanese and Chinese students wearing them for years through choice. The only people who put plastic bags over their heads are doing it yeah through choice but also because they want to die. Really poor comparison of you ask me 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I’ve seen Japanese and Chinese students wearing them for years through choice. The only people who put plastic bags over their heads are doing it yeah through choice but also because they want to die. Really poor comparison of you ask me 

Or those into danger wanking. 

Edit: or those of us into danger wanking 

From an article last week- https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/journalists-scientists-covid-19_uk_5f8e9458c5b66ee9a5f30d35

There is a wealth of scientific evidence to back the effectiveness of masks in combating the coronavirus pandemic which you can read hereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehereherehere and here – take your pick.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I'd imagine on average I have to wear one for about 30 - 60 minutes a day. As a great deal of people have to wear one from eight to five every day, often doing already pretty difficult jobs, I'd feel like a bit of twat if I had to moan about my "predicament". 

I have to wear one at my lads footy for about 2 hours max. My brother has to wear one underground in a tunnel for about 12 hours.

Doesn’t mean I can’t comment that I find it uncomfortable, as it’s just true. I don’t know how he copes with it, although I suppose we just end up adapting.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Literally from the first link on the list:

There is currently no good evidence for the effects of using face masks in public to reduce the risk of respiratory illnesses

Well quite.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Literally from the first link on the list:

There is currently no good evidence for the effects of using face masks in public to reduce the risk of respiratory illnesses

Well quite.

Well apart from basic logic of course 

54 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I wear it over my nose and mouth. Exactly the same as everyone else. Sick of people telling me I'm doing something wrong, as if putting three layers of fabric over the holes you breathe with is going to result in anything other than discomfort.

You might just be out of shape, to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Where? What context? 

In this context. Reads rather differently when you don't quote mine it.

There is currently no good evidence for the effects of using face masks in public to reduce the risk of respiratory illnesses, although lack of good evidence does not rule out benefit. It is difficult to conduct randomized controlled trials on this topic.16 A 2015 meta-analysis17 suggested that early use of face masks by healthy individuals may prevent them from contracting influenza-like illness from infected household members. In addition, case–control studies conducted during the outbreak of SARS in both Hong Kong18 and Beijing19 suggested that the frequent use of face masks (mainly surgical masks) by the general population in public places may have had a protective role against contracting SARS compared with infrequent use of face masks, after accounting for potential confounders such as age, sex, chronic illnesses, visits to a health care facility and eating out. With the extra protective practices of the general population during the SARS epidemic in Hong Kong, the incidence of respiratory viral infections was substantially reduced.20

Transmission of SARS CoV-2 from asymptomatic infected individuals has been reported,21 and the viral load can be high during the early phase of infection.22 An argument for the potential benefits of use of face masks by the general population in public places is that masks may provide some limited protection against transmission from asymptomatic carriers to healthy individuals.23

Concerns have been expressed that members of the public wearing surgical face masks will create a shortage for those who need them the most, such as health care workers,24 and that the use of face masks may either give people a false sense of confidence14 or, if masks are worn inappropriately, may inadvertently increase people’s risk of infection.25 However, results from our survey suggest that use of a face mask is not associated with a lower rate of handwashing.13 Moreover, people can be taught how to wear face masks properly. Some public health leaders have recently changed their messaging on face masks, and some experts have called for adoption of the precautionary principle and called for universal use of face masks, with some emerging evidence to support its effectiveness.11,23

• Upvote 1