You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

(Reuters) - Early results from tests for a coronavirus vaccine being developed by the University of Oxford, in collaboration with AstraZeneca Plc AZN.L, show it produces a robust immune response in elderly people, the group at highest risk, the Financial Times reported on Monday.

It has been discovered that the vaccine triggers protective antibodies and T-cells in older age groups, the newspaper said on.ft.com/3kxKyJI, citing two people familiar with the finding, encouraging researchers as they seek evidence that it will spare those in later life from serious illness or death from the virus.

The findings echo data released in July which showed the vaccine generated “robust immune responses” in a group of healthy adults aged between 18 and 55, the newspaper reported, citing people aware of the results from so-called immunogenicity blood tests.

But the FT cautioned that positive immunogenicity tests do not guarantee that the vaccine will ultimately prove safe and effective in older people.

AstraZeneca, which is developing the vaccine with Oxford University researchers, is seen as a frontrunner in the race to produce a vaccine to protect against COVID-19.

Details of the finding are expected to be published shortly in a clinical journal, the FT said, without naming a journal.

Oxford and AstraZeneca did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for comments.

Sounds like good positive news. 

Hopefully it remains positive and we can start jabbing people and get back to normal. 

3 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Hopefully it remains positive and we can start jabbing people and get back to normal. 

Sounds harsh to legalise punching people but I'm in. 

Just now, chrisbonnie said:

The vibe around the vaccine has changed massively as the year has progressed, even those experts who've understandably urged caution seem to be optimistic that something is on the cards.

It will probably take a while to get everyone covered, especially due to the private sector clusterfuck that will undoubtedly unfold when they're brought in to distribute and administer it, but it is still positive news. 

When the warmer weather comes in spring, and with a vaccine gradually being rolled out around that time, fingers crossed the end will be nigh, in a good way.

It was world Polio day on Saturday, its now nearly completely gone apart from 2 countries - Pakistan and Nigeria, mainly due to the problems of trying to track down remote peoples. The vaccine is oral meaning that it can also be passed on by droplets to immunise those around them.

Wouldnt it be great if the covid vaccine rather than by injection, could be passed by kissing? What a way to heal the world. RIP stig.

I don't get this positivity or enthusiasm around a vaccine or vaccines that have had very limited trials in comparison to vaccines that have come before. There's a reason why they are tested for years before being approved and personally speaking I'd likely be shuffling back towards the end of the queue for a jab, waiting for others to give it a whirl first.

We'll probably end up with another generation of thalidomide babies because governments wanted people to go out and start spending on the never never again after fucking up the more simpler methods of lockdowns and testing & tracing.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I don't get this positivity or enthusiasm around a vaccine or vaccines that have had very limited trials in comparison to vaccines that have come before. There's a reason why they are tested for years before being approved and personally speaking I'd likely be shuffling back towards the end of the queue for a jab, waiting for others to give it a whirl first.

We'll probably end up with another generation of thalidomide babies because governments wanted people to go out and start spending on the never never again after fucking up the more simpler methods of lockdowns and testing & tracing.

But no other vaccine in history has had as much money pumped into it, or man power either. 

Usually there's processes (obviously) 

Lobby for funding, lobby for testing, lobby for more funding, try and find a suitable partner to actually manufacture the bloody thing. 

Usually these proccesss are steps, but this time, because of the magnitude of it, these steps are overlapping, it's not that they haven't tested the vaccine sufficiently or are taking chances, they're simply throwing the kitchen sink at it. It's imagine instead of your standard labs technicians working a 40 hour week, they're probably working 24/7. So there's no let up. 

I can't get this anti vaccine rhetoric at all. It seems anti vaxxers sound rather stay inside until the end of their day's. Fuck that, I want to see my friends again without the worry of killing my 65 year old mother next week. 

Is that selfish?? 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm no anti vaxxer but I don't want any rushed through syrum bypassing procedures to protect the economy quicker injected into my veins or at least I dont want to be anywhere near first in the queue. 

Yeah it definitely warrants caution but there seems to be consensus from most of the scientific community around the need for proper checks and scrutiny.

What I don't want is for piers corbyn types to torpedo a way out of this mess for a lot of people.

53 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm no anti vaxxer but I don't want any rushed through syrum bypassing procedures to protect the economy quicker injected into my veins or at least I dont want to be anywhere near first in the queue. 

This is my point of view too. I'm far from ant-vaxxer territory as possible but it also doesn't mean that I'm going to fully accept being jabbed when the vaccine has likely bypassed stages other vaccines have gone through and when Covid-19 still isn't properly understood.

I'm off to have my flu jab now just to prove the point.

16 minutes ago, skend04 said:

This is my point of view too. I'm far from ant-vaxxer territory as possible but it also doesn't mean that I'm going to fully accept being jabbed when the vaccine has likely bypassed stages other vaccines have gone through and when Covid-19 still isn't properly understood.

But what is fuelling your fear a vaccine will injure you?  It’ll either work or it won’t.  The very worst that can happen is you get Covid.  Thalidomide was a drug, not a vaccine. 

Edit: by that I mean it won’t protect you from getting it, not that the vaccine will give it you.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Who said it has likely bypassed stages? Is that a commonly reported thing? I’m not being funny I genuinely don’t know and haven’t read anything that suggests it has happened, happy to be pointed in the direction of something.

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Who said it has likely bypassed stages? Is that a commonly reported thing? I’m not being funny I genuinely don’t know and haven’t read anything that suggests it has happened, happy to be pointed in the direction of something.

No I don't think they've by-passed any safety stages, it's more the production phase they've shortened. They've been making the vaccine for months before they know it even works, with governments agreeing to take on the financial burden of defunct product if it doesn't work.

Just now, Section_31 said:

No I don't think they've by-passed any safety stages, it's more the production phase they've shortened. They've been making the vaccine for months before they know it even works, with governments agreeing to take on the financial burden of defunct product if it doesn't work.

Hmmm..

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

That’s what I thought; but as I said I’m happy to be corrected if there are any reputable reports about a risky approach being adopted.

If there aren’t, then people just assuming it are veering towards the kind of thinking that you hear from anti-vaxers at least, even if they claim not to be anti-vax themselves.

7 hours ago, niallers said:

Spain going to impose a curfew from 11pm to 6 am for the entire country FOR 6 MONTHS! That's an eye opener and no mistake

Well if people hadn't travelled there for a selfish toes out in flip-flops I'm alright jack holiday maybe they wouldn't have too. 

2 hours ago, A Red said:

It was world Polio day on Saturday, its now nearly completely gone apart from 2 countries - Pakistan and Nigeria, mainly due to the problems of trying to track down remote peoples. The vaccine is oral meaning that it can also be passed on by droplets to immunise those around them.

Wouldnt it be great if the covid vaccine rather than by injection, could be passed by kissing? What a way to heal the world. RIP stig.

Yeah RIP me.... erm

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

But no other vaccine in history has had as much money pumped into it, or man power either. 

Usually there's processes (obviously) 

Lobby for funding, lobby for testing, lobby for more funding, try and find a suitable partner to actually manufacture the bloody thing. 

Usually these proccesss are steps, but this time, because of the magnitude of it, these steps are overlapping, it's not that they haven't tested the vaccine sufficiently or are taking chances, they're simply throwing the kitchen sink at it. It's imagine instead of your standard labs technicians working a 40 hour week, they're probably working 24/7. So there's no let up. 

I can't get this anti vaccine rhetoric at all. It seems anti vaxxers sound rather stay inside until the end of their day's. Fuck that, I want to see my friends again without the worry of killing my 65 year old mother next week. 

Is that selfish?? 

Anti-Vaxxers want to not get vaccinated but still carry n regardless infecting people as they go because you know over a million deaths worldwide hasn't;t effected them yet so selfish selfish selfish 

3 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Even with a vaccine, Governments will be telling people to social distance for another year or two, probably. 2021 might be slightly more normal, but not by much. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Same here. Vaccines are one of the best things people have done, but I don't like the way they've changed the law to allow unlicensed vaccines to be administered by non-medical personnel, oh and you can't sue anyone now if they make you ill.