You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Sweden has the best PR of any country in the world.

It’s expensive as fuck, it’s full of Nazi’s, it’s intolerant of anything that that isn’t tall, blond and hot and their suicide rate is about four in every three citizens. 

In relation to Covid their parliament had to apologise as it killed all the old cunts so the hot fit ones could drink craft beer in the snow and look smug and happy.

I don’t care if they have a park every five meters and their kids don’t do any testing until they’re 53, they’re miserable, insular, elitist, xenophobic pricks. 

As a weekend away though 5*.

Four people out of three commit suicide? I guess Sweden isn't too good at maths either. 

15 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

VAT will be payable on PPE from November in the least shocking news today, it had been exempt previously.

Do they not even care anymore about public perceptions.

Never let a good crisis go to waste...

Have we ever paid VAT on PPE? As in, was it removed to assist in the crisis period and now it’s returning to normal, or we’ve never paid it and now they are doing it for the first time?

14 minutes ago, belarus said:

Have we ever paid VAT on PPE? As in, was it removed to assist in the crisis period and now it’s returning to normal, or we’ve never paid it and now they are doing it for the first time?

Waived during pandemic, but now it’s ‘over’ they’re sticking it back on.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/23/treasury-confirms-it-is-to-end-vat-waiver-on-ppe-in-uk

• Upvote 1

This is an interesting graph for the Liverpool area from Zoe (published today and is a weekly report I think). It does show a real improvement  - considering it takes some time for changes of policy and behaviour to filter into the stats because of incubation periods etc, it does make me wonder if it is perhaps a consequence of some of the tier 2 restrictions rather than tier 3 (look at the weekly graph). Although obviously hard tell but it looks positive. 

Screenshot_20201024-110220.jpg

Screenshot_20201024-110912.jpg

Screenshot_20201024-111135.jpg

14 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I absolutely love Sweden, spent a few weeks there a couple of years back .

It’s a utopia until you scratch the surface, listen to the views and look at the ins and outs in the bank account though.

I had a week and it cost plenty and that was in a budget hotel  with a room the size of a shoe-box , you must have needed a second mortgage to last a fortnight. We were lucky and had pretty good warm weather and did a lot of walking which they can't charge you for. Fav thing was the Vasa museum which i thought was stunning. 

24 minutes ago, mattyq said:

It's like Global Warming and Tobacco 

There's always a few who can be bought and/or are nuts 

Whilst I agree that is true, once again it is the publicity given to them by the "indepdent" outlets that make it seem like it is a relatively even split, especially when they happily falsely report scientific community split on such and such.

19 minutes ago, mattyq said:

It's like Global Warming and Tobacco 

There's always a few who can be bought and/or are nuts 

Usually funded by Koch, as indeed is the Great Barrington Declaration. 

The Great Barrington Declaration was authored by Sunetra Gupta of the University of Oxford, Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University, and Martin Kulldorff of Harvard University.[1] The costs were paid for by the American Institute for Economic Research, a libertarian think tank that is part of a Koch-funded network of organizations associated with climate change denial.[14][15]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barrington_Declaration

28 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Usually funded by Koch, as indeed is the Great Barrington Declaration. 

The Great Barrington Declaration was authored by Sunetra Gupta of the University of Oxford, Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University, and Martin Kulldorff of Harvard University.[1] The costs were paid for by the American Institute for Economic Research, a libertarian think tank that is part of a Koch-funded network of organizations associated with climate change denial.[14][15]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barrington_Declaration

Sounds like someone needs to bullet Koch.  I'd donate to a crowd fund for that. 

18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Books and Birthday cards are non essential items. How can they justify Tesco and the like being allowed to sell them but other book and card shops aren't even allowed to open? 

It's a daft implementation really- I get that they're trying not to kill off 'non-essential' shops by allowing supermarkets to cannibalise their potential sales, but in reality, all people are going to do is order this stuff online.