You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah over time it probably will as it mutates, but in the shorter term this one does unreal damage to some people while others don't even know they have it, there must be some commonality in those people that can be studied, with that common trait turned into some sort of defence.

There seems to be lots of evidence that having had a previous coronavirus in recent times is helpful isn't there? 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

There seems to be lots of evidence that having had a previous coronavirus in recent times is helpful isn't there? 

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Chances are a lot of people have cross immunity from other coronaviruses, that's what my money would be on. Genetics could play a part too.

Hopefully this will make it easier to develop vaccines and antivirals. It's just a fucking bizarre illness.

Regarding the behaviour of Covid, I recall the early reports that in many severe cases it was the body's immune system reacting too well to the virus and setting off an immune "storm" that ended up attacking the lungs.  I've also recently read about a possible correlation between the severity of Covid and a person's lymphocyte to neutrophil ratio, these are white blood cells which react when a person has an infection or virus.  There must be untold amounts of research going into this and other theories, just feels like it's not being as well communicated as it once was.  Even if there was something in this theory how would they identify those at risk?

Just musings.

17 minutes ago, Moo said:

Regarding the behaviour of Covid, I recall the early reports that in many severe cases it was the body's immune system reacting too well to the virus and setting off an immune "storm" that ended up attacking the lungs.  I've also recently read about a possible correlation between the severity of Covid and a person's lymphocyte to neutrophil ratio, these are white blood cells which react when a person has an infection or virus.  There must be untold amounts of research going into this and other theories, just feels like it's not being as well communicated as it once was.  Even if there was something in this theory how would they identify those at risk?

Just musings.

I guess the problem at times though is funding. The pharma's are all going to be in the game to get the 1st vaccine. I wonder how much money is being thrown at treatment and funding the right medicines for treatment etc?

Historically getting something new off the ground would have taken ages as to do all the data analysis, they'd have been building out systems for it, but with cloud as it is now, they can spin up and down stuff for hpc uses as fast as they want. The obstacle would seem to be funding and people. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Mate's sister and her husband and kid had it. Kid had mild symptoms and they were asymptomatic despite both being in their early 50s. Vaccine or no, if and when they discover why this kills some people and doesn't give others even a sniffle, whenever they find out what that commonality is, they'll be able to put this back in its box. It goes far behind commorbidities, it's like some people, a lot of people, have got an inbuilt immunity. Just a throughly bizarre disease.

A girl i knows grandma is 98 and she had it ( she's in a care home) and didn't require hospital treatment. Yet people at 50 can be at deaths door, just a weird illness

42 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

A girl i knows grandma is 98 and she had it ( she's in a care home) and didn't require hospital treatment. Yet people at 50 can be at deaths door, just a weird illness

It definitely seems like it's more dangerous to Men. Being overweight seems to be a factor too. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I guess the problem at times though is funding. The pharma's are all going to be in the game to get the 1st vaccine. I wonder how much money is being thrown at treatment and funding the right medicines for treatment etc?

Historically getting something new off the ground would have taken ages as to do all the data analysis, they'd have been building out systems for it, but with cloud as it is now, they can spin up and down stuff for hpc uses as fast as they want. The obstacle would seem to be funding and people. 

Shit loads of funding has been chucked at antivirals, but it's probably a bit less obvious because they're being used to treat people with the disease.  Way more companies are working on them than a potential vaccine too.

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I read somewhere im not sure if its true but so far they have given 12 billion to Serco. They offer pittance to the people of this country whose money it is but line pockets with it elsewhere. This Tory lot are the worst set of bastards we've ever had.

Track and trace, a large part of which is now run by SERCO, has cost 12b so far for a failure of a system.

They’ve spent nearly 200m on ‘consultancy’ so far as well.

Plus billions on PPE that’ll never be delivered.

They’ve effectively built private companies lab capacity to charge the NHS for the pleasure of being overcharged for testing. Privatising, by the back door, scanning and screening for the whole NHS moving forward.

Ventilators that don’t work cost a fortune, setting up nightingale hospitals when they had no staff to staff them etc

I’m waiting for the revelations about tech company bills to come, those will be fun.

Honest Bob have a £45m tax break illegally to Desmond, then did this https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/11/robert-jenrick-admits-approving-funds-for-town-in-jake-berrys-constituency

What they haven’t wasted through incompetence they’ve given away to friends.

They agreed to pay a photographer 60k yesterday to take their portraits...

They may as well say ‘fuck the north’.

Beneath contempt.

10 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Shock doctrine disaster capitalism stuff

Yup, and in full view as well. 

Some of the power grab stuff sounds like the adolescent fever dreams of Caligula. 

You can trace the history.

Gove changing curriculum to teach about pride in our country, nationalism. Gove/Truss in the MoJ, May with the snoopers bill and on ad infinitum!

We really should have seen this coming.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I read somewhere im not sure if its true but so far they have given 12 billion to Serco. They offer pittance to the people of this country whose money it is but line pockets with it elsewhere. This Tory lot are the worst set of bastards we've ever had.

Have a read of this and prepare to get angry...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/21/government-covid-contracts-britain-nhs-corporate-executives-test-and-trace

‘The test-and-trace system might be a public health fiasco, but it’s a private profit bonanza. Consultants at one of the companies involved have each been earning £6,000 a day. Massive contracts have been awarded without competitive tendering. Astonishingly, at least one of these, worth £410m and issued to Serco, contains no penalty clause: even if Serco fails to fulfil its terms, it gets paid in full. Serco has indeed missed its targets, achieving an average by September of only 58.6% of contacts traced, against the 80% it was meant to reach.’

Labour and co should be hammering this shit home every day. Every tweet every conversation turned to it. They should tweeting every day why aren't the media highlighting this  go on the attack theres enough there, fuck the polls  the election is 4 years away. Evil flourishes when good men do nothing well so does greed and corruption. In 4 years there will be fuck all left to govern.

All well and good moaning, but the English love this, they love getting done over by their kleptoctatic overlords. It's in the national psyche down here. They positively revel in 'doffing the cap', 'musn't grumble', 'knowing your place'. I come across them all the time, "we must work with the resources we have", "is there a cost saving in this", "we will need to financially justify this" why? Do you think the cunts with the scrooge McDuck vaults in the Caymans, Isle of Man, Jersey, Turks and Caicos and the like think like this?

The impact of the pandemic might change things, but prior to it Johnson, Cummings, Rees-Moog, Anthony Bamford, Peter Hargreaves and Lubov Chernukhin could have smeared their own faecal matter on the doorsteps of everyone in the midlands and home counties before the election and it wouldn't have mattered.

• Upvote 4

I just love generalisations about the English from the Scots. 

Gyms across the Liverpool City Region are set to reopen after the government agreed to standardise its Tier 3 lockdown restrictions.

Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram has today confirmed that Whitehall bosses have listened to the arguments put forward by him and fellow local leaders about the disparity between the new restrictions.

There has been widespread anger across the region that gyms and leisure centres here were forced to close as the region was placed into the highest tier of the government's new covid alert system.

Lancashire was also placed into the highest tier, but was allowed to keep its gyms open, with Greater Manchester now being afforded the same deal.

11 hours ago, littletedwest said:

There's a growing amount of evidence that vitamin C & D along with Zinc form a very effective defence against Covid.

• Upvote 1