You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So you agree we should have locked-down earlier yet you are still questioning lockdowns? Are you ok? 

Nice work ignoring my link that proves they do work. Proved me absolutely correct. 

I am questioning lockdown when the virus has a really strong foothold in the population. I've made that quite clear.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

I am questioning lockdown when the virus has a really strong foothold in society. I've made that quite clear.

Are you saying that the virus didn't have a long foothold in society in Italy? You didn't read my link did you. 

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

https://www.ft.com/content/8a8aaee6-1444-44d6-a2f5-7737968a2928

Why Covid-19 is ‘endemic’ in Greater Manchester

And how Oldham managed to buck the trend by deploying an army of community testers

It is behind a paywall. They are wrong, like 100% wrong.

You are a loon. A loveable hardworking loon, but still batshit.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Are you saying that the virus didn't have a long foothold in society in Italy? You didn't read my link did you. 

No, I am not saying that. Why are you putting words in my mouth?

Why do you think the study you posted is the only one with validity?

Just now, Spy Bee said:

No, I am not saying that. Why are you putting words in my mouth?

Why do you think the study you posted is the only one with validity?

Im not putting words in your mouth I'm saying you didn't read my link. 

What do you mean the only one with validity? I could find many more by proper scientists while you post shite from columnists with zero qualifications. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is behind a paywall. They are wrong, like 100% wrong.

You are a loon. A loveable hardworking loon, but still batshit.

10/19/2020 Why Covid-19 is ‘endemic’ in Greater Manchester | Financial Times
https://www.ft.com/content/8a8aaee6-1444-44d6-a2f5-7737968a2928 1/6
A month ago people in Bolton were queueing outside pubs and restaurants for government-backed
discount meal deals. Now the longest line is outside an emergency coronavirus testing centre, set
up in a market car park after the town in northern England recorded the highest level of infections
in the UK.
The surge in the former cotton spinning hub has left the local authorities with two conclusions:
ending the full national lockdown in July was premature and the disease is now endemic in poorer
communities.
Andy Burnham, the elected mayor of Greater Manchester — which includes Bolton, said the
lockdown was lifted when it suited London, which had shaken off the first wave of the pandemic.
“We were left with a higher level of underlying virus,” he said. Once summer came and people
started to mix again — especially those in their 20s and 30s who generally do not display symptoms
of the disease — the virus spread. Quoting a confidential report from Public Health England, Mr
Burnham said: “The virus has become endemic in parts of Greater Manchester.”
People queue at a testing centre in Bolton © Jon Super/FT
Local lockdowns were imposed across the region on July 31; households were banned from mixing
indoors or in private gardens and outdoor gatherings were limited to six people. But individuals
could still meet in pubs, cafés or restaurants.
After initial success in combating the virus’s spread, people’s willingness to obey restrictions
waned. Case numbers are now rising in nine of Greater Manchester’s 10 boroughs and all have
rates higher than the national average.
In Bolton, where the virus is spreading fastest, the government on Tuesday imposed tighter
restrictions, including limiting all hospitality premises to takeaway meals and ordering a 10pm
closing time.
https://www.ft.com/content/8a8aaee6-1444-44d6-a2f5-7737968a2928 2/6
Mr Burnham welcomed the government announcement that from Monday people across England
will only be able to meet socially in groups of six or less and a renewed effort to explain the rules.
“We have got to try to live with Covid-19,” he said.
Nadia Gebelli, 25, queueing in Bolton for a test after developing a temperature, said some people
would ignore the new rules as they did the old. She blamed pub goers and the government’s “eat
out to help out” meal discount scheme that ran on Mondays to Wednesdays in August. “We are
running our economy on drink,” she said. “I saw a group of 16 saying they were in the same
household. No one does anything. You never see the police.”
Nadia Gebelli: ‘I saw a group of 16 saying they were in the same household. No one does anything’ © Jon Super/FT
David Greenhalgh, leader of Bolton council, agreed that the surge from less than 20 cases per
100,000 people to more than 160 in a fortnight, was driven by young adults flouting the rules.
Police fined a 23-year-old local man £1,000 after he returned from the Spanish island of Ibiza and
instead of going into quarantine, held a house party and went out several times.
Another who went on a pub crawl while contagious has infected at least 17 others, Mr Greenhalgh
said. “It is connected to a group of 18 to 42-year-olds, white British in the overwhelming majority of
cases. We are a warning to other areas of the country.”
https://www.ft.com/content/8a8aaee6-1444-44d6-a2f5-7737968a2928 3/6
https://www.ft.com/content/8a8aaee6-1444-44d6-a2f5-7737968a2928 4/6
https://www.ft.com/content/8a8aaee6-1444-44d6-a2f5-7737968a2928 5/6
But there is another story too. In many parts of Greater Manchester, home to 2.8m people, the
disease has ripped through more deprived communities where many people work in jobs that
cannot be done from home: taxi drivers, shopkeepers, nurses and warehouse workers. They may
not be eligible for sick pay so cannot afford to self isolate it they develop symptoms.
The majority are of South Asian heritage, packed into terraced houses in extended families so
young people going to school and work bring the virus back to elderly relatives.
Community swabber Patrick Holden tests Katrina Szymnska in Oldham © Jon Super/FT
That is also true of neighbouring areas such as Blackburn, Preston, Calderdale and Bradford, which
are under local lockdowns. Infection rates are climbing in all of them.
While rates have begun rising in almost all lockdown areas — and indeed across England — in one
Greater Manchester borough they are bucking the trend: Oldham, another former mill town with
similar demographics to Bolton. In the week ending September 7 the rate of infection per 100,000
people was 73 — down from 108 in the seven days to August 11.
The main reason is an army deployed by the council. They explain guidance, clarifying that
households cannot mix at all and offer immediate coronavirus tests.
Members include council staff who cannot do their normal jobs. Andrew Bailey, a redeployed
librarian, led the team on to the streets on Thursday afternoon armed with a map, mask and hi viz
vest.
https://www.ft.com/content/8a8aaee6-1444-44d6-a2f5-7737968a2928 6/6
Community swabbers Patrick Holden, centre, with engagement team members Andrew Bailey, right, and Nadia Arif in Oldham ©
Jon Super/FT
As soon as the testers appeared in their protective gear people approached. The national testing
system is overwhelmed and many wait days for a slot.
Dorothy Randall, who was out for a walk when the swabbers pulled up, said: “It is such a relief to
get it done. I have been trying to get a test but the phone keeps ringing off.”
In less than an hour they had tested 13 more people, around three-quarters of those who answered
the door, including one man who thought he had serious symptoms.
Cyclist Hugh Kane is tested by Lisa Schora in Oldham © Jon Super/FT
The swabbing team are Lisa Schora, a former payroll administrator, and Patrick Holden, a DJ and
entertainer, who was recruited after posting a Facebook video saying he needed a job. “It feels great
to be able to get out of the house helping people,” said Ms Schora, who was unemployed.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Im not putting words in your mouth I'm saying you didn't read my link. 

What do you mean the only one with validity? I could find many more by proper scientists while you post shite from columnists with zero qualifications. 

That were all referencing studies. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Here is a key line Quoting a confidential report from Public Health England, Mr Burnham said: “The virus has become endemic in parts of Greater Manchester.”

Pal, I understand that the word endemic was used once in the entire article.

If you read the article - every single fact is telling you that is exactly the opposite of endemic.

In fact, it looks more like last weeks vocabulary word - exponential.

Ya big loon.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Google them yourself. They're all included in the articles.

No why should I? You're the one making the claims. I've supplied actual evidence to prove your query. Why not acknowledge that? You even said you are happy to be proven wrong. I've just done it. 

@JolyonMaugham 
Just when you thought Government transparency around procurement couldn't get any worse... it did. Matt Hancock is now refusing to name those to whom he is awarding contracts on the grounds... that they would rather not be named.

Ekr2OWLXUAI9A1s?format=png&name=large

Edited with actual detail to protect off shore accounts.

Fuck off you thieving Tory cunts. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i am really confused now. so you think lockdowns work when there's not much virus but don't when there is lots? 

Next he'll be telling us a fire blanket works when you have a fire confined to a chip pan, but not when the whole house is ablaze.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

@JolyonMaugham 
Just when you thought Government transparency around procurement couldn't get any worse... it did. Matt Hancock is now refusing to name those to whom he is awarding contracts on the grounds... that they would rather not be named.

Its our money he shouldn't be able to refuse shit. Name them. He is such a fucking prefect twat!

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Next he'll be telling us a fire blanket works when you have a fire confined to a chip pan, but not when the whole house is ablaze.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2219859-huge-fire-blankets-can-protect-houses-from-destructive-wildfires/#:~:text=A%20series%20of%20tests%20has,them%20from%20fast%2Dmoving%20wildfires.&text=They%20have%20routinely%20been%20wrapping,too%2C%20when%20wildfires%20threaten%20them

• Upvote 4