You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Tremendous craic on the news just then. Whistle-blower from a test and trace lab talking about how all the boffins had been staffing them while they were furloughed, then in June they all got replaced with Joe Six-pack, most of whom had no lab experience, no safety training, and had gaffer tape as protective clothing. 

That's outsourcing through and through. I worked for an outsourcing company in the early 2000s and that's how they roll. We had a huge DWP contract for computerising benefits and pension forms that normally got put into the post office. They hired loads of 16 year old kids to sort them and it turned out 40% of them were wrong. On another contract for a travel company we used to get fined if the staff didn't answer calls in time, we were running on half staff (but charging the client for full staff), but to keep the call levels within threshold we used to just tell everyone to phone back after six when the waits stopped being recorded.

It's like the kind of shit Tony Soprano does. If they could charge the council a million quid to safely dispose of asbestos and get away with dumping it in a school playground they would. 

The list is endless. Shit school buildings, empty hospitals, the Olympics, the probation service and on, and on, and on.

The only people who think private sector knows best in the context of British business culture (I.e profit at the expense of all else) have never worked at the coal face, they've only seen it from a distance or read books about how great it is by others who've only seen it from a distance, or/and they simply don't care because they make money out of it or it doesn't impact on them. It is, and always has been, an absolute shambles.

• Upvote 2

Exclusive There are talks taking place at the highest levels around mobilising for a potential Covid vaccine from December, with some sources putting the chances of the programme being started this year as ’50/50′, Pulse has learnt.  

Pulse has learnt from a number of sources that discussions are taking place between NHS England, the BMA and other groups over who will be administering vaccines and who will be the first cohorts to receive the vaccine.

There is no guarantee the vaccine will be ready by December, but there is growing optimism around this being a possibility. One source close to the discussions told Pulse the feeling is ’50/50′.

There's just no helping some people-

https://people.com/health/man-called-covid-hoax-feels-guilty-14-family-members-test-positive-2-die/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/voters-grapple-political-motivations-driving-covid-19-response/story?id=73293438

When Tony Green decided to host a small family gathering in June, he was doing it partly out of frustration with the COVID-19 restrictions. In his home state of Texas, he didn’t know anyone who had gotten sick in those early months of the pandemic, when most cases centered around the East Coast, and he “thought it was an overblown media hoax,” Green, 43, wrote in an op-ed for The Washington Post.

So Green and his partner invited four people over to their home — his parents and his partner’s parents — to stay for the weekend and enjoy meals, movies and time by a lake together after months apart.

But within days, all six of them tested positive for COVID-19, along with eight more people in their extended families.

Green developed severe symptoms, requiring a three-day hospital stay after the virus attacked his nervous system, but he eventually recovered. His father-in-law and his father-in-law’s mother were not as lucky, though, and both died from COVID-19.

Green, who is still wrestling with the loss of his family members, said he is still voting for Trump in November.

24 minutes ago, Mudface said:

There's just no helping some people-

"I thought it was a hoax"

On the face of it, that sentence there, I know we've all heard it a lot recently, but it's quite a staggering statement to come out with.  Not even in March, but in July.

So, the guy who he voted for, who made him believe that it was a hoax, and in doing so killed 3 of his family, is still the guy who he will be voting for?

If he was asked by God, or Jeff Bezos, to offer his first born child as a sacrifice in return for Trump winning the election, I'm almost certain this disgusting maggot of a human would do that.  Why?  "My freedom", he would likely say.  But the backdrop to the Trump campaign, the underhand bullshit, the corruption, the cheating, it totally undermines any notion that 'freedom' is the same for every person, it's just not a democracy, it's the facade of a democratic system.

I mean, there are some things we have right in terms of democracy, and there are some things where China are miles ahead of us.  The choice of whether or not to be racist, that shouldn't be a ballot box choice, I'd rather we lived in a world where you don't get the right to choose something obviously wrong.  Yes China is oppressive, and yes they need to cut out a few things, but you can't fault the linearity of their development as a nation.  If you don't like it you can leave.

How many thousands of hours are wasted by each of us in this country talking about politics and bullshitting each other?  The utter chaos of the 5 year election cycle.  It's a good yarn, sure, but it's wasted time.  We should be talking to each other about how best to educate our children, how best to tackle climate change, how best to improve people's health and wellbeing.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

more depressing news on the spread of the virus both locally and nationally with the zoe app. how the fuck are we getting this under control? 

image.png

Didn't they predict that cold weather would increase the spread? I hope thats not the case because I think we are in for a really cold winter. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Didn't they predict that cold weather would increase the spread? I hope thats not the case because I think we are in for a really cold winter. 

i think the problem is there's loads of situations where you might meet outside in the warm weather (and people did it more this year i guess) but now the weather has gone to shit we will all be indoors more sreading the virus. I would imagine that is part of why the pubs are shut. 

7 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

So Lancashire going into tier 3, but gyms not shutting apparently unlike Liverpool.

Bonkers really can't make head nor tail of the rules.

It's almost like the simplified tiers aren't really tiers at all, and it's all just a load of arbitrary bollocks!

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Cold dry air is apparently the best conditions for it to spread.

Peak respiratory time is Dec-Feb, so if saturation doesn't come into play, then this is going to be one long winter!

21 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

So Lancashire going into tier 3, but gyms not shutting apparently unlike Liverpool.

You have to remember, the only tenet this brand of Conservatism has is 'let the chips fall where they may'. Everything is viewed through that prism, chaos is encouraged. 

22 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Apparently the government considers Liverpudlians to be suitably 'hench', so no need to keep gyms on, but Lancastrians are 'weak ass bitches and need to lift a bit more' said an unnamed government spokesman. 

• Upvote 1

I understand local leaders wanting the best for their people and financial aid during this, I just don't understand why the term 'negotiating' is being used. Obviously government should have a suitable and fair financial package in place for all areas that have to lockdown. But lockdown shouldn't be on the basis of negotiations, it should happen and that's it. 

If, as is being reported, Lancashire have negotiated keeping their gyms open (and until this is clarified, that's what I an going with) then how the fuck is covid in a gym in lancashire different from covid in a gym in the Liverpool City area. 

Not only does covid take the weekends off but apparently it decides how infectious it is on a regional basis in gyms. 

The Local Democracy Reporting Service can reveal that within the past few minutes an agreement has been reached which will see the whole county move into the "very high" alert level.

Non-food pubs and bars look set to close, but gyms and leisure centres will stay open.

The county has secured £42m out of the £58.2m it was seeking as a package of financial support for businesses, the care sector and schools. Initially. only £12m was on the table.

It is understood that Boris Johnson briefly addressed the meeting, but left without taking questions.

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/politics/deal-done-put-lancashire-tier-3-covid-rules-3005371

I think I see where this is going, Liverpool will end up having accepted a fraction of the funding it needs while many other areas get three or four times as much. 

19 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Scary numbers all over Europe. 2nd wave numbers greater than the first wave. Look at the Czech numbers.

They are going to have to shut all borders if it carries on like this.

But the testing capacity of the first wave was a fraction of what we have now, so numbers aren't actually higher in most cases.