You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

IMG-8-AB553600343-1.jpg

I've had seven of these warnings since I put the app on my phone, this is the latest one and the first to come with the second message. Which should help to clear things up for people. 

If you need me I will be spending the rest of the day 'being alert' 

Jedd over here saving the NHS 

I'm not going anywhere near that app, seems like a fast track to mental illness to me, probably doesn't work and will just let palantir felch me while Carol Cadwallader shakes her head disapprovingly. I'm just being sensible, working from home and having the odd outdoor walky interlude.

• Upvote 1

I'd had six messages of possible covid exposure up until last Wednesday. Then I was in outpatients on Thursday and A&E for 14 hours on Saturday/ Sunday so was expecting a flurry of messages and possibly one telling me to self isolate. Luckily that hasn't happened and all I have is that one today.

I was covid tested on Saturday night though, so I'm assuming if I had it they would have contacted me by now anyway.

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

I downloaded that App thing, I've been to Asda, the bookies the paper shop even Poundland and its told me nothing, is there any point of it or  does an alarm go off if you've been near someone who has it? 

i have had it since it came out. about once per week it sends a message to say how many people you've been in contact with the previous 14 days. I don't know how it works that out if it's only bluetooth handshakes or if it includes venue check ins too - I am assuming just bluetooth handshakes, but my number has been over 180 each time, which really surprised me. It also sends out false alerts every few days saying you have been in contact with someone and when you click the alert there's nothing there. apparently this is a known bug. all in all it is pretty shite I think - and for my post code which is now in a "Very High" risk area, it still shows as just "High Risk". Useless cunts. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

i have had it since it came out. about once per week it sends a message to say how many people you've been in contact with the previous 14 days. I don't know how it works that out if it's only bluetooth handshakes or if it includes venue check ins too - I am assuming just bluetooth handshakes, but my number has been over 180 each time, which really surprised me. It also sends out false alerts every few days saying you have been in contact with someone and when you click the alert there's nothing there. apparently this is a known bug. all in all it is pretty shite I think - and for my post code which is now in a "Very High" risk area, it still shows as just "High Risk". Useless cunts. 

This is why I can't be arsed with it, how many people get told to isolate for example and they haven't been near anyone? 

It was probably built by some Hipster son of Michael Howard. Fuck that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Righto, all mine shows is Medium risk, I just thought it might of told me something when I got home after being out and about, but just the same as before I went out. 

You would of thought someone to have it among the 100s I passed, think I'll wash my hands of it. 

11 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Righto, all mine shows is Medium risk, I just thought it might of told me something when I got home after being out and about, but just the same as before I went out. 

You would of thought someone to have it among the 100s I passed, think I'll wash my hands of it. 

I think you have to be in close proximity for about 15 or so minutes for it to consider it a risk. It's something to install and forget. If you get covid and you have been close to others with the app for more than 15 minutes then they will know when you tell the app. 

This might be useful if they (or you) have grandparents or a family member that are high risk. They can then chose to avoid seeing that person for a few days to see if they get any symptoms or further warnings. 

It's not perfect, nothing is. I can see why many would want to swerve it though. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

I think you have to be in close proximity for about 15 or so minutes for it to consider it a risk. It's something to install and forget. If you get covid and you have been close to others with the app for more than 15 minutes then they will know when you tell the app. 

This might be useful if they (or you) have grandparents or a family member that are high risk. They can then chose to avoid seeing that person for a few days to see if they get any symptoms or further warnings. 

It's not perfect, nothing is. I can see why many would want to swerve it though. 

Cheers, it would be useful then if and when I can visit any elderly relatives, I'll bear that in mind. 

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ah so Wales is banning people from entering its borders. What next? This country has gone insane.

Fucking mental isn't it? That beaches and fields I might want to walk to clear my head are off limits to me under pain of penalty and almost certainly local mentalists chasing me with pitch forks. 

I'd give absolutely anything to get out of the UK now, it's an oubliette for the soul. Socially, mentally, economically and spiritually broken. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I'd give absolutely anything to get out of the UK now, it's an oubliette for the soul. 

This is why I had to get out of this country for a couple of weeks last month. I just couldn't be here. Even though when you come back, you get a whole host of people criticising you for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

This is why I had to get out of this country for a couple of weeks last month. I just couldn't be here. Even though when you come back, you get a whole host of people criticising you for it.

And rightly so. 

EDIT: As jealous as I was/am. Looked lovely where you went. 

11 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Sorry mate I know you're sick but I laughed like fuck when I read that post! Best wishes to you and the better half!

Hahaha nice one 

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Not sure if its true, but I was told that the app works on a full daily basis and sends you potential contact alerts even if you are in a pub / restaurant at half five and the 'infected' person is there at nine o'clock.

That might be because all of the other people you exchanged data with at half five, then went on and exchanged data with the person later at nine. Even though you were not there, when the data is sent later on it sees you had contact with the others. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

There's nothing right about it at all. It's none of your damn business where I choose to go.

When you are potentially spreading a virus that has killed over a million people I think you'll find I'll pass whatever judgement I want. 

There was nothing right about you travelling on a jolly. Same as there is nothing right about you calling covid embarrassing and you saying that there will not be a second wave. 

Well done for being a selfish bastard. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

When you are potentially spreading a virus that has killed over a million people I think you'll find I'll pass whatever judgement I want. 

There was nothing right about you travelling on a jolly. Same as there is nothing right about you calling covid embarrassing and you saying that there will not be a second wave. 

"Potentially spreading a virus", good grief, could you be more of a judgmental clown.

That could apply to anyone absolutely anywhere at any time. Who knows how many people you infected while you were very helpfully demonstrating the efficacy of face masks?

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Genuine question, I’m not trying to stir up shit between you but Im a bit confused by the travel bit. 
If someone goes on holiday somewhere with lower infection rates than we have, isn’t that technically being safer than staying locally? Ok it might be on ‘the list’ but I’m sure we would be too so I’m not currently understanding the outrage. Especially when someone comes home and hasn’t got it.

2 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

"Potentially spreading a virus", good grief, could you be more of a judgmental clown.

That could apply to anyone absolutely anywhere at any time. Who knows how many people you infected while you were very helpfully demonstrating the efficacy of face masks?

Yep but I wasn't flying to another country, contaminating people with it unlike you. Disgraceful behaviour. The epitome of "I'm alright jack" selfish behaviour. One of my good mates did the same and I've rightly called him a selfish cunt as a result. He isn't quite as thick not to see how wearing a mask can help rather than hinder though. 

1 minute ago, Geoff Woade said:

Genuine question, I’m not trying to stir up shit between you but Im a bit confused by the travel bit. 
If someone goes on holiday somewhere with lower infection rates than we have, isn’t that technically being safer than staying locally? Ok it might be on ‘the list’ but I’m sure we would be too so I’m not currently understanding the outrage. Especially when someone comes home and hasn’t got it.

Ha, are you advocating people in high risk areas going to low risk areas? You do know that's how viruses spread. 

• Upvote 1