You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The press conference said your dream of just isolating the vulnerable was impossible.  Maybe you should put the bloke right. 

Well many other experts don't think it is impossible. It is impossible to do it with 100% efficacy, but the current situation and lockdown also don't offer that.

5 hours ago, Moo said:

I don't know what the threshold is to get into Tier 3, maybe 500 per 100,000?  It would seem arbitrary though so it may be more to do with the rates in Manchester currently being on a downward trend?

Nottingham is an odd one though, maybe they'll announce something there.

Read earlier that the threshold for Tier 3 is simply Tier 2 not working. Bearing in mind that the tier system is not yet actually in place how then does Liverpool go straight to Tier 3. Politics methinks.

Another half-arsed measure.

Boris Johnson will announce a £28m package of support for areas with the strictest coronavirus restrictions, MPs in Merseyside have been told.

This will include £14m for clinically vulnerable people and to support enforcement action, and a further £14m to bolster local test and trace systems.

It is further understood that “food-based pubs” will be allowed to stay open in areas with the tightest restrictions – while bars and pubs that do not serve substantial food will have to close. 

This is likely to lead to significant confusion given the vast amount of pubs that do serve food, such as Wetherspoons venues which appear to be allowed to remain open under the new rules.

MPs were told that they would get a vote on whether to extend the measures every four weeks.

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well many other experts don't think it is impossible. It is impossible to do it with 100% efficacy, but the current situation and lockdown also don't offer that.

Many others without access to all the data, logistics, costs and implications? Who usually turn out to be homeopaths or chiropractors? And above all, have absolutely no skin in the game so are free to pontificate without any consequence? Like you. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

People who downplay the pandemic and say they aren't "living scared" love to tell you that they're being "nuanced". 

The issue for me is they say they're being nuanced, or that nuance exists, but when you challenge them with the realities we live in (rather than an ideal scenario where we have a caring and capable government) they clam up and suddenly nuance is nowhere to be seen.

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

I remember where I have seen you post with the same amount of certainty. It was in the Maddie thread.  

I'm hardly on my own in my opinion on that subject.

You don't have to have a PHD in every aspect of life to hold an opinion, you know? I've never claimed to be an expert, but you can't just cancel everything I say by shouting "BUT YOU'RE NOT AN EXPERT!"

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

The issue for me is they say they're being nuanced, or that nuance exists, but when you challenge them with the realities we live in (rather than an ideal scenario where we have a caring and capable government) they clam up and suddenly nuance is nowhere to be seen.

Your argument seems to be that the government is incapable, so we should go along with what they are suggesting. Is that right?

26 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

What are you, the forum police?

I have recently posted on other threads, but I don't feel compelled to post on other threads very often. I don't really care who the forum think is the greatest male solo artists. I don't get much chance to watch UFC. I don't really listen to that much new music, so I don't feel like I need to contribute to the music review thread. I prefer looking at Christina Milian, than talking about her. etc etc

Chrsitina Milan hates you 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I remember where I have seen you post with the same amount of certainty. It was in the Maddie thread.  

Spy Bee is Rebecca Vardy's account 

A man was fined £10,000 after police found 80 guests at a wedding party, PA Media reports.

Essex police said officers received reports of the large gathering at Ariana Gardens in Margaretting at around 4.15pm on Sunday. The venue is described on its website as “Essex’s most magical and enchanting wedding venue”. When officers arrived they found approximately 80 guests enjoying a sit-down dinner.

Essex police’s assistant chief constable, Andy Prophet, said: 

This wedding party was a blatant breach of the current restrictions which only allows for 15 people to be present at a wedding.

Expensive wedding just got more expensive.

Edit: Turns out it was the wedding organiser that got fined, not the groom.  

Edit 2: This is a half-arsed report. Turns out he’s been reported for summons to court, not yet fined.

The Clacton Gazette comments page is fairly tame compared to the Echo.

DeadDruggies2 hrs ago

10That really is good news, hope the idiot goes out of business.

Last Updated: 11 mins ago

Snow Patrol1 hr ago

10And the guests didn't say anything? They should fine everyone who attended. My best mate had a really rotten wedding during the storm Alex with the 15 guests allowed but he takes his social responsibilities seriously.

Last Updated: 11 mins ago

52Y1 hr ago

8The bride and groom organised the list and specified numbers .. he just did what they asked surely ? Like any good soldier he just followed orders! The fine is in the wrong lap.

Last Updated: 10 mins ago

farang.1 hr ago

4Name them then, will The Echo follow up this one I wonder, and did they really get issued a 10k fine? or is it the usual all talk

Last Updated: 22 mins ago

timothy bucktu1 hr ago

3This is beyond belief did 80 idiots honestly think this would go unnoticed 
Some people just think the rules dont apply to them 
I am speechless

Last Updated: 1 hr ago

timothy bucktu17 mins ago

timothy bucktuwrote:This is beyond belief did 80 idiots honestly think this would go unnoticed Some people just think the rules dont apply to them I am speechless
Well done to essex police and whoever picked up the phone to report

WellYousKnowsImAlwaysRight1 hr ago

2Haha, good job they didn't fine that MP who got the train home.

timothy bucktu27 mins ago

WellYousKnowsImAlway
sRight
wrote:Haha, good job they didn't fine that MP who got the train home.
Im surprised she didnt come and officiate at the ceremony along with a glossy mag that bought the rights

Misty420 mins ago

1As member of the public can I please report the Black Lives Matter protests in London that had no social distancing, and people from different households in close proximity? 

Can I also suggest that the organisers of said protests are fined £10,000?

Thought not.

Last Updated: 20 mins ago

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm hardly on my own in my opinion on that subject.

You don't have to have a PHD in every aspect of life to hold an opinion, you know? I've never claimed to be an expert, but you can't just cancel everything I say by shouting "BUT YOU'RE NOT AN EXPERT!"

Cancel? What are you on about.  You just seem to get loads wrong. Happy to help. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

I reckon it's pretty obvious. You're basically suggesting that I am not entitled to have an opinion, because I am not an expert. 

No I’m not. I’m saying that you not being an expert means you’ve no standing to blithely dismiss the opinions of real experts. You can have an opinion, it’ll be wrong, but that doesn’t seem to stop you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

No I’m not. I’m saying that you not being an expert means you’ve no standing to blithely dismiss the opinions of real experts. You can have an opinion, it’ll be wrong, but that doesn’t seem to stop you. 

Hmmm two questions:

1. Do you ever think for yourself?

2. What about if I agree with one expert, but not with another?

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Being an expert in something doesn't make you righteous.

Fuck off back to the FF 

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Hmmm two questions:

Aah the thick anti-covid cunts go to question. Shut the fuck up 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Hmmm two questions:

You know nothing about epidemiology.  Like me. You could show me all the technical data and I wouldn’t have a clue. I wouldn’t understand any of the biology etc so I look to the experts, taking the consensus view as the correct one.  

As ever, I’ll use the plane analogy.  Have you ever got to the gate and questioned why the designers haven’t asked a few homeopaths for their views on aeronautical engineering? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

You know nothing about epidemiology.  Like me. You could show me all the technical data and I wouldn’t have a clue. I wouldn’t understand any of the biology etc so I look to the experts, taking the consensus view as the correct one.  

As ever, I’ll use the plane analogy.  Have you ever got to the gate and questioned why the designers haven’t asked a few homeopaths for their views on aeronautical engineering? 

What about if two different epidemiologists disagree?