You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Another 1000 on the list today from the Zoe app. The general trend is edging up even if its not at a mental rate. But when you think today is a 1000 more than yesterday when just a month ago it was just 1200 cases in total per day, it's dire reading. 

Screenshot_20201010-113827.jpg

Screenshot_20201010-114144.jpg

Surely it has to be down to re-opening schools?

Me and her still waiting for our results. Sent it off Thursday and she looked at the tracker which said it arrived with them late on the Thursday night. They said two days so hopefully find out today. Bot still feeling a bit shit but not anywhere near as bad as in the week. Haven't left the house other than putting the bins out since Sunday. I'm losing the fucking plot. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Me and her still waiting for our results. Sent it off Thursday and she looked at the tracker which said it arrived with them late on the Thursday night. They said two days so hopefully find out today. Bot still feeling a bit shit but not anywhere near as bad as in the week. Haven't left the house other than putting the bins out since Sunday. I'm losing the fucking plot. 

My mate in work sent his test off Wednesday and got the result yesterday so you should have yours today. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah we were stuck in Monday to Friday morning (apart from going for my test), with the two kids. I consider myself quite mentally strong but fucking hell it was a long week. And it sounds a real first world problem being "stuck in the house" a few days with Sky, the internet, all mod cons, consoles etc but even I was going a bit stir crazy. The kids were celebrating when they could go into school yesterday morning! 

It's a lot different to April/May because of the weather - back then it was playing all day in the back garden, taking a one hour trip to the park. But the weather has been atrocious - we must have had a month's worth of rain this last week, the garden has been a no go zone expect for a few hours on Wednesday (I think, maybe Thursday). 

We were both still supposed to be working from home but doing that with the two kids in the house, trying to teach them as well, it frequently broke down. And in isolation you can't even go for a walk. Plus we both felt like shit having cold/virus/whatever. In hindsight I should have just took a couple of days off but you.dont know what's for the best at the time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Liverpool Tier 3 from Wednesday, Rotherham just announced.

Manchester, I assume, will follow.

Pissed off as he heard it from the press!

Absolute pisstake from the government, again.

What does tier 3 actually mean? I know it means the pubs are shut, but to be honest that gets a big shrug from me as at the moment I can only go with my bird anyway and I can't imagine it's good for bar owners either - maybe they get more help this way. Is there more to it, will they be shutting the high street like they did in march? 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What does tier 3 actually mean? I know it means the pubs are shut, but to be honest that gets a big shrug from me as at the moment I can only go with my bird anyway and I can't imagine it's good for bar owners either - maybe they get more help this way. Is there more to it, will they be shutting the high street like they did in march? 

A lot of the stuff suggested is already in place since last weekend up here , but pubs being closed seems to be a given and the possibility of overnight stays being outlawed and even being restricted to your own areas are possibilities. Johnson announcing the exact details on Monday for implementation on Wednesday

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

This was the ‘leaked’ draft...

3A61F526-AFFF-435D-9F1C-E912E725271F.png

They’re apparently having a jolly away this weekend to decide the final criteria.

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah we were stuck in Monday to Friday morning (apart from going for my test), with the two kids. I consider myself quite mentally strong but fucking hell it was a long week. And it sounds a real first world problem being "stuck in the house" a few days with Sky, the internet, all mod cons, consoles etc but even I was going a bit stir crazy. The kids were celebrating when they could go into school yesterday morning! 

It's a lot different to April/May because of the weather - back then it was playing all day in the back garden, taking a one hour trip to the park. But the weather has been atrocious - we must have had a month's worth of rain this last week, the garden has been a no go zone expect for a few hours on Wednesday (I think, maybe Thursday). 

We were both still supposed to be working from home but doing that with the two kids in the house, trying to teach them as well, it frequently broke down. And in isolation you can't even go for a walk. Plus we both felt like shit having cold/virus/whatever. In hindsight I should have just took a couple of days off but you.dont know what's for the best at the time. 

If anything the shit weather has been a bonus because with our garden being so small I'd have been wanting to get out for a walk. Cant imagine how hard it is with kids. I walked up the entry to put the bins out yesterday and properly slow walked back. Never thought I'd see the day that I took fresh air for granted 

36 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This was the ‘leaked’ draft...

3A61F526-AFFF-435D-9F1C-E912E725271F.png

They’re apparently having a jolly away this weekend to decide the final criteria.

So it's basically march with the schools, uni and work open? It's a fucking mess. I'm so fucking sick of it because it's all so needless. Just some decent management of this and there's be no need to be here. 

Edit.. and I've just noticed fucking 10pm pub curfews are part of green! What type of fucking green is that? 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I had a test a couple of Fridays ago. Tested at 3.30pm on the Friday and got a text (saying negative) about 9.30pm on the following Sunday. If that gives you an idea of time frame.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So it's basically march with the schools, uni and work open? It's a fucking mess. I'm so fucking sick of it because it's all so needless. Just some decent management of this and there's be no need to be here. 

Edit.. and I've just noticed fucking 10pm pub curfews are part of green! What type of fucking green is that? 

This could have been ‘under control’ months ago, it’s a fucking farce.

My ma, who hasn’t seen the kids for six months because of isolating, is making a last ditch trip to London today because she fears she might not see them again for another six months because of what’s about to come in.

All of this was predictable and avoidable and these cunts have fucked up every single decision at every juncture. 

Failure of leadership on every level.

• Upvote 1

Strangely addressed to himself, but a message from Steve Rotherham

Dear Steve Rotheram

As you will know, last week a number of local restrictions were put in place across the Liverpool City Region to help combat the worrying rise in the number of positive Coronavirus cases.

Over the past few days, myself and the leaders of our councils have met with senior government officials and further discussions will continue over the weekend. 

What seems clear is that the government will be announcing on Monday that they are intending to place the Liverpool City Region on the highest level of the new three-tiered COVID threat levels. 

Although the full detail of what this means for our city region is not completely clear at this stage, it seems certain that at least part of our hospitality sector will be required to close for some time.

My first priority will always be the health and wellbeing of local people and I have been clear with government that the Liverpool City Region’s position is that new restrictions must also be matched with a package of appropriate financial support.

Today, I held a press conference with my fellow Northern mayors to outline our opposition to the government’s current offer of financial support for areas like ours. We believe that elements of the funding package, which we have been told is non-negotiable, are not sufficient to protect our communities through the challenging period that lies ahead for a number of reasons: 

• The local furlough scheme has set pay at just 67% - failing to take into account the position of the low-paid staff who work in hospitality and do not have the luxury of being able to pay only two thirds of their rent or their bills.

• The delay to the introduction of the local furlough scheme will see many businesses go under as, payments will not be made until six weeks after businesses have been forced to close.

• The scheme is limited to businesses forced to shut, failing to take into account the businesses who supply the hospitality sector.

• No additional support on offer for people who are self-employed. Closure of hospitality businesses will have a severe knock-on effect on self-employed people working in the taxi trade, security and many more.

• Whilst we acknowledge the Chancellor’s move in increasing the existing payment to businesses forced to close in lockdown areas, up to £3,000 per month may not be enough to prevent businesses from collapsing. 

• After a decade of austerity, councils across the North have already been hit by millions of pounds in extra costs and lost revenue, with only around a third of that being covered by central government so far.

Throughout this crisis, I have tried to work constructively with the government, in the interests of our city region and the 1.6m people who call it home, but I’ve been frustrated by their lack of cooperation and I’m now deeply concerned that a North/South divide is emerging in this latest phase of the pandemic.

As it stands, nowhere in England south of Birmingham is under any sort of additional restrictions, while most of the North is under local measures. Once under additional restrictions it is difficult to find a way back out, which is already having a devastating impact on our local economy.

As Mayors, we have written to every MP across the North of England calling on them to pressure the government to bring forward a separate vote in the House of Commons on the financial package offered to the North in order to reject it and to require the Government to return with an improved package.

For all the talk of levelling up, if the government carries on down this path it is clear our local economies will be levelled down by this pandemic. We cannot stand by and let this happen.

I understand that this is an anxious period for many, especially those who are struggling with ill health or worried about their job, but I want to reassure you that local leaders are doing everything we can to stand up for our city region and will not rest until the government steps up and supports our communities.

Best wishes

Steve

Steve Rotheram

Mayor of the Liverpool City Region