You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

18 minutes ago, John102 said:

Its peak GF for someone to start arguing over what a statistician says about statistics.

Greatest minds around all managed to find their way into Dave's forum some how.

It’s kinda like the Cambridge spy ring, apart from we’re recruited outside The Albert after a skin full.

Looks like there's a real effort to question schools being open again even though they could've helped drive this whole situation. The Telegraph on the 30th of Sept had an article titled "No link between schools and coronavirus infection rates, global analysis suggests". I wonder how many researchers would question that though?

But we've got to obsess about some pubs shutting at 10pm instead by the looks of it instead.

Then I looked at the sidebar of the Telegraph and saw articles titled "Herd immunity could've saved more lives than lockdown, study suggests", and "Life can go back to normal if we make it our common goal to achieve herd immunity".

OK. No agenda there obviously.

Don't mention that schools might be spreading the virus around up and down the country though. Let's just argue about pubs, then maybe if there's a herd immunity project on the go things will carry on going well.

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Looks like there's a real effort to question schools being open again even though they could've helped drive this whole situation. The Telegraph on the 30th of Sept had an article titled "No link between schools and coronavirus infection rates, global analysis suggests". I wonder how many researchers would question that though?

But we've got to obsess about some pubs shutting at 10pm instead by the looks of it instead.

Then I looked at the sidebar of the Telegraph and saw articles titled "Herd immunity could've saved more lives than lockdown, study suggests", and "Life can go back to normal if we make it our common goal to achieve herd immunity".

OK. No agenda there obviously.

Don't mention that schools might be spreading the virus around up and down the country though. Let's just argue about pubs, then maybe if there's a herd immunity project on the go things will carry on going well.

The thing is, how often are the kids going to school anyway. There's a year group the year below one of my kids. They got a 2 weeks home isolation, they can back on Monday and were sent home Wednesday because of covid. It's fucking mental 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is, how often are the kids going to school anyway. There's a year group the year below one of my kids. They got a 2 weeks home isolation, they can back on Monday and were sent home Wednesday because of covid. It's fucking mental 

It looks like there's plenty of teachers that can see the mess it's causing and are trying to help. Teaching unions might be sick of it too, but the gov and the media don't seem to be bothered. Not sure if many in Labour or other opposition parties are either. If they are it definitely doesn't seem to be getting through to the media enough.

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

It looks like there's plenty of teachers that can see the mess it's causing and are trying to help. Teaching unions might be sick of it too, but the gov and the media don't seem to be bothered. Not sure if many in Labour or other opposition parties are either. If they are it definitely doesn't seem to be getting through to the media enough.

Absolutely everyone is afraid to say having the kids going to school is about the worst thing we could do. Because the real answer is to send the kids in a safer environment (perhaps 10 in a class and part time video or something), but it's too hard and politicians today never do the hard, just cheap soundbites. The opposition don't want to be seen speaking against kids being in school. 

It was/wasn't/was/but wasn't really funny when Boris Johnson stood in-front of about 5 socially distanced kids in a class-room and chatted some bollocks only for the camera to pan round as he walked out to show the rest of the class bunched together and one of them call him an arse-hole. Nearly as funny as the fella on his campaign trail last year morning too him about the dogshit on the green in-front of his garden then going "Get em out!" and twatting him on the back. 

We're in a comedy sitcom and Trump is just the US version. 

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Absolutely everyone is afraid to say having the kids going to school is about the worst thing we could do. Because the real answer is to send the kids in a safer environment (perhaps 10 in a class and part time video or something), but it's too hard and politicians today never do the hard, just cheap soundbites. The opposition don't want to be seen speaking against kids being in school. 

Yeah it's like it's a taboo subject or something. Total elephant in the room. Maybe some opposition party should try reading this study article out to the gov during PMQ's and see what the response is, then we can watch the media squirm as they cover it too

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah it's like it's a taboo subject or something. Total elephant in the room. Maybe some opposition party should try reading this study article out to the gov during PMQ's and see what the response is, then we can watch the media squirm as they cover it too

We need that quick test the rest of the world seems to have started using. 

I know Italy gave everybody who worked in schools including cleaners covid tests prior to the new term starting. I was surprised they didn't do something at least for secondary schools here. If you are a mature teacher in a secondary schools who has a few extra pounds i can imagine it is a worrying time being in a classroom with 30 odd kids. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We need that quick test the rest of the world seems to have started using. 

Sorry not sure what that is, I've hardly been following this lately because I guessed it'd be such a mess as it started up again. Even worse than before now that they're obsessed with keeping things open and causing a total mess of things worse than last time.

If hospitals are flooded soon though and can't cope I'm sure the herd immunity logic will look great once again. Maybe long covid will even get a few mentions too, especially when more are suffering from it.

4 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Yes.

Although I would advise my mum to take every precaution not to catch it.

If the government pressed ahead with a strong herd immunity plan and your mum died as a result of it, would you be ok with that?

That's essentially the scenario you are putting to  the public. 

24 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

And yet schools are still open, teachers and children aren't allowed to wear masks, (in the school where my Mrs works) and idiot parents, many without masks are congregating far too close together at the school gates.

Madness.

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

How would anyone know? 

This is what Birmingham City Council says.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/citys-message-boris-home-covid-19068119

Birmingham's political and business leaders have told the Government there is no evidence for more lockdown restrictions affecting pubs, restaurants and cafes - because nearly every case of coronavirus here is picked up at home.

Fears are mounting that Boris Johnson's Government plans to impose uniform restrictions on all areas with similarly high numbers of cases as a way to avoid confusing variations.

The upshot could be more damaging restrictions on the city's fragile hospitality sector - even though all the evidence suggests that hardly any infection is transmitted there.

Just 2% of local cases are thought to come from entertainment and hospitality venues, and there have been no major outbreaks, says the letter sent today by Birmingham City Council and Greater Birmingham Chambers of Commerce.

"The Government cannot claim to be following the science when imposing restrictions if it is not supported by evidence collated on the ground," they write.

"A failure to do so will erode the public's trust and confidence in the necessity of restrictions and impact on the levels of adherence to them."

The letter, co-signed by city council leader Cllr Ian Ward, deputy leader Cllr Brigid Jones, and Chambers chief executive Paul Faulkner, says just 2% of all infections traced locally are thought to emanate from hospitality venues - the vast majority, nine out of ten cases (91%), are picked up at home, or when visiting another home.

Fuck me, of all the questionable sources you'v used, Birmingham City Council has to be the fucking craziest. Why don't you find out what Hulk Hogan thinks? 

Transmission is invisible so its not traceable enough for statistics around it. 

• Downvote 1