You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Bit mad the Liverpool stats vs Cornwall's.

Liverpool

9.026 cases known to date.

577 known deaths.

Cornwall

1,530 cases known to date.

208 known deaths. 

The ratio for cases/dying is all over the place. 

Spain have 813,000 confirmed cases, with 32,000 deaths.

UK have 515,000 confirmed cases, with 42,000 deaths. 

Why? 

Population

Population per square meter

How cases are counted; do they include antibody tests? (Spain do)

Mechanism for counting deaths (Spain and UK have different systems)

So many variables and no standard processes for doing or counting anything.

*I'm sure there will be other variables to do with demographics, climate etc too.

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I thought that was the Sumersetians, or whatever ther collective term for people from Somerset is.

Apparently there is no demonym for Somerset

As to the Scrumpy I can't claim any sort of expertise but my brother, who lives down that way, assures me they do drink Scrumpy but he thinks Somerset is the capital of Scrumpydom

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Another flatish day on Zoe, although another rise for the northwest. 

Screenshot_20201007-105950.jpg

The numbers for West Lancs have doubled on there to almost a thousand active cases in about 3/4 days. 

Just now, Elite said:

Imagine if you'd started a new hospitality this year, all your savings and hope wiped out by an unprecedented virus.

Butchers shut by mine about a month ago and it’s getting work done to turn it into a ‘Peaky Blinders’ style bar.

I wouldn’t have thought it had much chance of success anyway as it’s in a semi-rural area but seems madness going ahead with it in the current climate. 

17 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

The numbers for West Lancs have doubled on there to almost a thousand active cases in about 3/4 days. 

Butchers shut by mine about a month ago and it’s getting work done to turn it into a ‘Peaky Blinders’ style bar.

I wouldn’t have thought it had much chance of success anyway as it’s in a semi-rural area but seems madness going ahead with it in the current climate. 

Opening a bar in this climate is financial suicide. 

Fucks sake. When it was London and the SE affected by the virus in the spring, it was full lockdown everywhere, shoulder to shoulder solidarity and mortgage the future of the country to protect it. Now it's the north, it's been a case of "you scummy cunts - stop mixing with one another while the rest of us go back to normal." And now it looks like a load of businesses will get boarded up with probably minimal ongoing support.

We've been chucked under a bus to cover up the utter failure of a non-functioning government that doesn't give a shit about anything but its base.

• Upvote 6

How about going to the other extreme?

Everyone who thinks they aren't vulnerable has covid parties and feels like shit for a few weeks, but then it's over and the country has herd immunity. January is a shit month anyway - we could all do it then. Or November, so that it's over for Christmas - 'Covember'.

Surprised Johnson hasn't considered it actually.

There certainly isn't a solution that people will agree on, you'll get screams from all sides no matter what happens. 

Vaccine - "I'm not taking it, it might not be safe. 

Lock down - Worse than the war, nazis

Partial lockdown - They're not doing enough

No restriction - Swedish model aaarrgghh! (I normally like Swedish Models) 

Masks - "I can't breathe"

No Masks - "People should wear masks"

No School - Our children need education or I can't watch Jeremy Kyle repeats with the kids here

School - Little monsters are infecting everyone

Testing a lot - Too much testing is skewing the figures

Not enough testing - How can we assess the real impact if we don't test

Little or no restriction enforcement - Bring in the army to thump a few people

Some enforcement of restrictions - Nazis

Government - go out, go back to work 

Also Government - stay in, work from home

Government Health advice - Obesity is a major contributor to your chances of a worse outcome

Government - go out and eat as much half price shit as you can for a month 

Fucking loonies - 5G is spreading the disease 

Fucking loonies - There is no disease, it's a conspiracy to make us do things

And the list goes on, fuck it I say and bring on the giant meteorite, we are done!

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Manny said:

Fucks sake. When it was London and the SE affected by the virus in the spring, it was full lockdown everywhere, shoulder to shoulder solidarity and mortgage the future of the country to protect it. Now it's the north, it's been a case of "you scummy cunts - stop mixing with one another while the rest of us go back to normal." And now it looks like a load of businesses will get boarded up with probably minimal ongoing support.

We've been chucked under a bus to cover up the utter failure of a non-functioning government that doesn't give a shit about anything but its base.

Someone should start a Northern party. Neither left nor right, just simply there to represent the North and mobilise people to vote for it who aren't into politics. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Dennis is out of prison. 

Keep burying your head lad. Its all there right in front of you. No conspiracy theories there.

And today they are gonna introduce more lockdowns regardless which just goes to show theres something underlying. I heard Hancock saying cancer patients will suffer until we get it under control. The man is vile beyond words.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Keep burying your head lad. Its all there right in front of you. No conspiracy theories there.

And today they are gonna introduce more lockdowns regardless which just goes to show theres something underlying. I heard Hancock saying cancer patients will suffer until we get it under control. The man is vile beyond words.

Yeah saw that. Vile disgusting bastards. I actually said that in the DM comments section and that my mum had died of it last month, also that I will say it to his face one day. Surprisingly over 50 odd positive ticks and even a nice reply too. On the daily mail comments section which is usually just deranged racist Tory loving Nazi cunts. Even the right are waking up a bit 

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

There is clearly a significant amount of opportunism going on, but I don't buy the idea that this is the catalyst for the Great Reset. Sweden is not playing ball if so, Belgium and Germany are allowing more freedoms, and a more normal way of life, the USA is pretty much open for business. If this was the huge global change that some conspiracy theories suggest it is, this wouldn't be happening. 

Johnson announced that he wanted a green recovery or whatever, and I'm fine with that, as we clearly need to become greener. I don't think people will stand for the increased restrictions for too much longer though. 150,000 people have signed a signature in less than 24 hours demanding that some fans be allowed into football grounds, and that definitely seems to be the directional of travel now.

I agree on Handcock. Disingenuous, snivelling little wet wipe that he is! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

This is the point though, millions of people worldwide are going without diagnosis for various illnesses. These are illnesses Big Pharma can't sell drugs too until they're diagnosed. They also can't sell them to dead people.

This is one the parts of the conspiracy theory that makes no sense. Why would Pfizer get involved when Roche or some other competitor gets its done before them? A years worth of falling sales, global economy smashed to fuck and for what? A plan for the future? Name me one government that gives a shit about next week never mind 2030?

More conspiracy bollocks.  

One thing I’ve noticed about all these people who think they have the inside track on conspiracies is that it never does them any actual good. You’re saying I’ve got my head in the sand but you are the one marching round trafalger square standing next to a bloke who believes the queen is a lizard.  Dunning Kruger  

• Upvote 4

There has absolutely been opportunism since the start. Cunts like Crispin Odey will have immediately started working out where they can capitalise but to suggest some sort of Spectre group led by government officials have banded together to change our way of life is absolute head the ball gear. You've got more chance of Nessie bounding up the Thames with Elvis and 2Pac on her back singing "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me". 

• Upvote 1

Not seen this posted, apologies if I've missed it...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/07/covid-19-crisis-boosts-the-fortunes-of-worlds-billionaires

The world’s billionaires “did extremely well” during the coronavirus pandemic, growing their already-huge fortunes to a record high of $10.2tn (£7.8tn).

A report by Swiss bank UBS found that billionaires increased their wealth by more than a quarter (27.5%) at the height of the crisis from April to July, just as millions of people around the world lost their jobs or were struggling to get by on government schemes.

The report found that billionaires had mostly benefited from betting on the recovery of global stock markets when they were at their nadir during the global lockdowns in March and April. UBS said billionaires’ wealth had hit “a new high, surpassing the previous peak of $8.9tn reached at the end of 2017”. The number of billionaires has also hit a new high of 2,189, up from 2,158 in 2017.

Josef Stadler, the head of UBS’s global family office department that deals directly with the world’s richest people, said: “Billionaires did extremely well during the Covid crisis, not only [did] they ride the storm to the downside, but also gained up on the upside [as stock markets rebounded].”

Stadler said the super-rich were able to benefit from the crisis because they had “the stomach” to buy more company shares when equity markets around the world were crashing. Global stock markets have since rebounded making up much of the losses. The shares in some technology companies – which are often owned by billionaires – have risen very sharply.

Stadler said billionaires typically have “significant risk appetite” and were confident to gamble some of their considerable fortunes.

Luke Hilyard, executive director of the High Pay Centre, a thinktank that focuses on excessive pay, said the “extreme wealth concentration is an ugly phenomenon from a moral perspective, but it’s also economically and socially destructive”.

“Billionaire wealth equates to a fortune almost impossible to spend over multiple lifetimes of absolute luxury,” Hilyard said. “Anyone accumulating riches on this scale could easily afford to raise the pay of the employees who generate their wealth, or contribute a great deal more in taxes to support vital public services, while remaining very well rewarded for whatever successes they’ve achieved.

“The findings from the UBS report showing that the super-rich are getting even richer are a sign that capitalism isn’t working as it should.”

Stadler said the fact that billionaire wealth had increased so much at a time when hundreds of millions of people around the world are struggling could lead to public and political anger. “Is there a risk they may be singled out by society? Yes,” he said. “Are they aware of it? Yes.”

Stadler has previously warned that the yawning inequality gap between rich and poor could lead to a “strike back”.

Billionaires’ fortunes have swelled by $4.2bn (or 70%) in the three years since Stadler warned about the threat of a global uprising against the super-rich. “We’re at an inflection point,” Stadler said. “Wealth concentration is as high as in 1905, this is something billionaires are concerned about. The problem is the power of interest on interest – that makes big money bigger and, the question is to what extent is that sustainable and at what point will society intervene and strike back?”

The world’s current super-rich people hold the greatest concentration of wealth since the US Gilded Age at the turn of the 20th century, when families such as the Carnegies, Rockefellers and Vanderbilts controlled vast fortunes.

The UBS report did not rank the fortunes of the world’s wealth, but the richest person on the planet is Jeff Bezos, the founder and chief executive of Amazon, with $189bn. Bezos’s wealth has increased by $74bn so far this year, according to the Bloomberg billionaires index, due to the surge in Amazon’s share price as more people turned to the company. One of the few women is the cosmetics entrepreneur, Kylie Jenner.

Elon Musk, the maverick founder of electric car company Tesla, has made the most money so far this year with his fortune increasing by $76bn to $103bn.

UBS said many billionaires had quickly and generously donated some of their wealth to help with the fight against Covid-19 and the financial impact of lockdowns on families.

“Our research has identified 209 billionaires who have publicly committed a total equivalent to $7.2bn from March to June 2020,” the report said. “They have reacted quickly, in a way that’s akin to disaster relief, providing unrestricted grants to allow grantees to decide how best to use funds.”

The research shows that UK billionaires donated much less than those from other countries. In the US, 98 billionaires donated a total of $4.5bn, in China 12 billionaires gave $679m, and in Australia just two billionaires donated $324m. But in the UK, nine billionaires have donated just $298m.

"billionaires typically have “significant risk appetite” and were confident to gamble some of their considerable fortunes."

Well it's not risk then is it if you've already got loads, you horendous cunt.

What next? Hard work makes you rich?

Going after the off-licences over here next.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40060799.html

Limits may be put on amount of alcohol people can buy, minister says

Limits may be put on amount of alcohol people can buy, minister says

Minister of State Patrick O'Donovan said that the “uncontrolled” consumption of alcohol at house parties was part of the problem and the issue of off licences needed to be “put in the mix” by Nphet and the Government. File Picture

WED, 07 OCT, 2020 - 09:15
VIVIENNE CLARKE

A Government minister has warned that limiting off-licence opening hours and the volumes of alcohol people can buy could be looked at as part of efforts to halt the spread of Covid-19.

Minister of State Patrick O’Donovan says that the opening hours of off-licences, and the purchase amounts need to be examined because "the consumption of alcohol is a large part of the problem with the transmission of the virus."

Speaking on Today with Claire ByrneMr O’Donovan said that people were leaving supermarkets with shopping trolleys full of alcohol and that “we know they’re not being taken home for an after-dinner aperitif”.

The minister said that his own brother was a publican, and that he himself was going to miss the wedding of a close friend this weekend because it was in another county.

Minister of State with responsibility for the Office of Public Works, Patrick O’Donovan. Picture: Larry Cummins

Minister of State with responsibility for the Office of Public Works, Patrick O’Donovan. Picture: Larry Cummins

He said that the “uncontrolled” consumption of alcohol at house parties was part of the problem and the issue of off-licences needed to be “put in the mix” by Nphet and the Government.

If such measures were put in place people would get the message about what was acceptable and what was not acceptable.

Currently, gardaí have the power to stand outside a house where a house party was being held, but can not enter. 

Mr O’Donovan said his worry was that, despite all the appeals and public health information, a culture had arisen where people thought it was acceptable to hold parties.

“It’s not ok,” he said. 

Mr O'Donovan said that the move to Level 3 and observing the restrictionswas “the only way to go” to stop transmission of the virus. 

“I would ask people to obey the county boundaries. Every step of the restrictions would have an impact.

“It is in our hands to halt this virus," he added.