You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Was talking to someone yesterday about this and was saying, if it wasn't for the media, app updates and threads like this, would you be any the wiser that you're living through a pandemic? I know some of us on here have had it, and some sadly know people who've died, but are we seeing workplaces and schools decimated by illness and death? Or seeing convoys of ambulances hurtling past the house? The realities - save for those horrendous images from Italy and Wuhan in the very early days - don't seem to match the apocalyptic, doomsday vibe.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Was talking to someone yesterday about this and was saying, if it wasn't for the media, app updates and threads like this, would you be any the wiser that you're living through a pandemic? I know some of us on here have had it, and some sadly know people who've died, but are we seeing workplaces and schools decimated by illness and death? Or seeing convoys of ambulances hurtling past the house? The realities - save for those horrendous images from Italy and Wuhan in the very early days - don't seem to match the apocalyptic, doomsday vibe.  

I know loads of people took the piss but lockdown will have helped reduce the number of fatalities greatly. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I know loads of people took the piss but lockdown will have helped reduce the number of fatalities greatly. 

Yeah I agree, it was the right thing to do at the time. 

The issue with Covid is that it was new and it hit at the same time. Flu comes in waves, usually seasonal and it happens to different countries at different times so you don't have stuff like PPE supply issues, medication shortages and the like. 

Covid came out of china like a bat out of hell and hit everyone hard, nobody knew fuck all about it in terms of treatments. 

All these many months on and it's a different picture, I think  these localised flare ups are a result of holiday season, maybe even eat out to help out, schools going back. The infections can was kicked down the road to the point where hopefully hospitals won't still be overrun, I think they're shitting it about the flu season though as that always puts hospitals on their arse. 

But in terms of the levels of fear being generated about Covid worldwide, I feel it's well out of proportion to the impact it's actually having on the human race. Maybe that's the only way you can get people to be reasonably sensible, I don't know, but it's no zombie apocalypse, and suicides will no doubt be high because a lot of people have been led to believe it is. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I agree, it was the right thing to do at the time. 

The issue with Covid is that it was new and it hit at the same time. Flu comes in waves, usually seasonal and it happens to different countries at different times so you don't have stuff like PPE supply issues, medication shortages and the like. 

Covid came out of china like a bat out of hell and hit everyone hard, nobody knew fuck all about it in terms of treatments. 

All these many months on and it's a different picture, I think  these localised flare ups are a result of holiday season, maybe even eat out to help out, schools going back. The infections can was kicked down the road to the point where hopefully hospitals won't still be overrun, I think they're shitting it about the flu season though as that always puts hospitals on their arse. 

But in terms of the levels of fear being generated about Covid worldwide, I feel it's well out of proportion to the impact it's actually having on the human race. Maybe that's the only way you can get people to be reasonably sensible, I don't know, but it's no zombie apocalypse, and suicides will no doubt be high because a lot of people have been led to believe it is. 

It's still killing people even when we have measures in place mate. I hate all this lockdown stuff, its ruining livelihoods but the virus can't be ignored. Imagine if they just opened the gates and said everything back to normal.....

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

A condom for your mouth. 

Mother of mercy 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It's still killing people even when we have measures in place mate. I hate all this lockdown stuff, its ruining livelihoods but the virus can't be ignored. Imagine if they just opened the gates and said everything back to normal.....

Yeah I agree, we need mitigation measures for sure, but I think the endless up and down lockdown stuff isn't helping. I feel in the early stages of lifting lockdown we had a decent balance, you could see some people and go for brews, meals etc without it being a free for all. That's all people want, to be able to see their parents and grandkids, to be able to go for a coffee or a walk in the park without being shamed or hounded. I don't think that's too much to ask. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah I agree, we need mitigation measures for sure, but I think the endless up and down lockdown stuff isn't helping. I feel in the early stages of lifting lockdown we had a decent balance, you could see some people and go for brews, meals etc without it being a free for all. That's all people want, to be able to see their parents and grandkids, to be able to go for a coffee or a walk in the park without being shamed or hounded. I don't think that's too much to ask. 

I agree mate but unfortunately selfish people have spoilt it for others. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I still only know one person who had it, my sister who is a nurse in the Royal.

We have 50 offices worldwide and we've had only one possible case. The whole thing is absolutely mental. I can't help thinking the some number fudging going on somewhere.

49 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We have 50 offices worldwide and we've had only one possible case. The whole thing is absolutely mental. I can't help thinking the some number fudging going on somewhere.

You've got to think there's a conspiracy. 

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I've mentioned before that my sister runs a care agency. About 8 of her staff have had it, and some of their family members. My mate who lives in Liverpool, but is a doctor in Flintshire had it and ended up on 10 litres of oxygen per hour. My cousin works in ICU in Newcastle and says the chest xrays are distinct from any other respiratory condition she's ever seen.

I have no doubt it exists. I have no doubt that disproportionate actions have been taken in 'managing' this.

Hancock now says that our strategy is to supress it until we find a vaccine, whilst protecting the economy and education. The days of suppression disappeared months ago, and the longer we are living a half life filled with media stoked fear, the more collateral damage will be done!

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I've mentioned before that my sister runs a care agency. About 8 of her staff have had it, and some of their family members. My mate who lives in Liverpool, but is a doctor in Flintshire had it and ended up on 10 litres of oxygen per hour. My cousin works in ICU in Newcastle and says the chest xrays are distinct from any other respiratory condition she's ever seen.

I have no doubt it exists. I have no doubt that disproportionate actions have been taken in 'managing' this.

Hancock now says that our strategy is to supress it until we find a vaccine, whilst protecting the economy and education. The days of suppression disappeared months ago, and the longer we are living a half life filled with media stoked fear, the more collateral damage will be done!

Im not saying for one minute it doesn't exist, but it fluctuates pretty wildly amongst groups. Both my parents have been shielding and are vulnerable to it, my mum has respiratory and heart problems - and both where in contact with my sis before she was diagnosed but none of them have contracted it, and that was back at the peak.

The biggest problem we have is transparency, both through the data presented, the rules laid down, the plan moving forward, basically everything. because its not clear people are assessing what they know and are doing their own thing.

I work in an office of 40 and at least 3 people have tested positive and one nearly died.  

Two of my team have had it. One was during lockdown and had relatively mild symptoms which lasted a week.

The other one has what everyone is now referring to as "long covid" which he caught just before the lockdown. He is 50, an ex boxer who was previously strong as an ox and supremely fit. He finds it difficult to breathe, has very little energy and suffers from severe headaches. He is waiting for a full testing regime to see what other damage  (if any) it has done to him.

27 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

Two of my team have had it. One was during lockdown and had relatively mild symptoms which lasted a week.

The other one has what everyone is now referring to as "long covid" which he caught just before the lockdown. He is 50, an ex boxer who was previously strong as an ox and supremely fit. He finds it difficult to breathe, has very little energy and suffers from severe headaches. He is waiting for a full testing regime to see what other damage  (if any) it has done to him.

Crazy. I wish him well in his recovery.