You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Both! 

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

Both.

It's absolute madness what's going on and sooner or later, something's got to give.

Johnson has already said something about using the armed forces, so how is this going to happen?

Snatch squads in town centres?.

Dangerous times.

I just don't see how you can blame those who've been turfed out onto the streets all at the same time.

This notion that people would behave differently just because closing time was brought forward was beyond stupidity. A load of people who you've given a ten hour slot to go on the ale and then expect them to fall into line at the end of it. That was never going to work. 

One of the reasons closing times were extended a few years ago was to reduce the numbers of people hitting the streets all at once and making the job of policing them easier.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I just don't see how you can blame those who've been turfed out onto the streets all at the same time.

This notion that people would behave differently just because closing time was brought forward was beyond stupidity. A load of people who you've given a ten hour slot to go on the ale and then expect them to fall into line at the end of it. That was never going to work. 

One of the reasons closing times were extended a few years ago was to reduce the numbers of people hitting the streets all at once and making the job of policing them easier.  

People were a bit less cuntish when closing times were extended and there was no Covid, but I couldn't agree more with your point.

But the people who are still congregating after closing time, partying, etc are risking more than their own health.

Their disregard is frightening.

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

People were a bit less cuntish when closing times were extended and there was no Covid, but I couldn't agree more with your point.

But the people who are still congregating after closing time, partying, etc are risking more than their own health.

Top to bottom we’re a nation of dickheads. But you can’t put the army on the streets against a population just because they’re dickheads, especially when it’s your own dickheadry which has set the tone.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

The thing is drunk people aren't known for their regard for others - and we've all been like that at one time.or another. You can't make a plan based on drunk people behaving like sober people. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The Tories should just admit that all the lockdowns and other measures they've put us through was just lip service and that the real game plan from day one was herd immunity.

Yeah, but the issue with that would be half the nation going out at once and going "fuck it, I'll just get it over with" and we end up overwhelming the NHS. That's not why it was initially off the table, that's because it was pretty much ridiculed globally by epidemiologists, but ultimately I think that's why they've never gone back to it publicly. I think the 1st wave came quicker than they though possible and when they did those first bits of lockdown where they were saying "don't go the pub, but we'll leave the pub open", I genuinely think they thought that was going to work. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Top to bottom we’re a nation of dickheads. But you can’t put the army on the streets against a population just because they’re dickheads, especially when it’s your own dickheadry which has set the tone.

I agree with your points, but we're talking about Boris Johnson and Priti Patel here and the thing that worries me is that it wouldn't faze them in the slightest to put the army on the streets and probably be praised by some for doing so for protecting those who obey the rules.

I hope to God it never happens.

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is drunk people aren't known for their regard for others - and we've all been like that at one time.or another. You can't make a plan based on drunk people behaving like sober people. 

Again, I agree.

So, what should happen to stop it and help stop the spread of the virus?

I'm dead set against people's freedoms and civil liberties being curtailed but the way people are carrying on, it's only a matter of time before further and more draconian measures are introduced.

53 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

The Tories should just admit that all the lockdowns and other measures they've put us through was just lip service and that the real game plan from day one was herd immunity.

That seems to be their original idea, but the bastards are so inconsistent, who knows.

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Again, I agree.

So, what should happen to stop it and help stop the spread of the virus?

I'm dead set against people's freedoms and civil liberties being curtailed but the way people are carrying on, it's only a matter of time before further and more draconian measures are introduced.

Well I suppose it depends if you mean how should they have gone about it from the start or what to do now. 

In the situation of the former I think applying some common sense would have been massively helpful. Everybody including the government suggested track and trace was to be crucial, but it was a fucking shambles. So ignoring how they could trace people, they weren't even finding them in the 1st place. So if you take pub type settings, they initially opened them and made it so the onus was on the customer to register their presence there and one person was enough for the whole group. Except just about nobody was registering because pubs weren't pushing it and basically it was easier not to. They didn't have a clue who'd been near people who were testing positive. However, we've got this app now for contact tracing, which admittedly is a bag of shit. But was it really implausible for phase 1 to be it had the goverment qr reader and they tracked every individual into each location and only open the pubs once that's available? And really, could that not have been ready for July 4? Instead we basically let everyone pretty much do what the fuck they wanted and spent the whole of August using government money to get us down to wetherspoons for tea, but the government had no ability to trace people there should there be a positive test. So I could keep going on, but I think there was loads of control we could have done. Again when the kids went back to school, I'm pretty sure we could have done something better than basically running schools exactly as they were except for break times. 

As for how do we deal with it now? Honestly I don't know because they've fucked it up so badly. I actually wouldn't be against calling for a 2 week half term now for schools. Lock us all back down again for 2 weeks and break the cycle - of course providing when we come out it is managed with common sense and intelligence. 

What I feel pretty sure about is emptying the streets bang on 10 in city centres is a recipe for disaster and I've no idea what it's supposed to be achieving, it just feels like lip service to me because they want us all to catch it, but if it goes to shit it's because we're all naughty boys and girls. It's all well and good people saying "it's that last hour when you get drunk", well those people have clearly never been to city and town centres up and down this country where people are on it all afternoon and are smashed way before 10. 

I don't know how the government are making their decisions. It just seems to me they are  applying nothing to the thought process about unintended consequences to their actions.  If we're going to face restrictions to our liberties, lets make sure we get the maximum return on the sacrifices people have to make. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well I suppose it depends if you mean how should they have gone about it from the start or what to do now. 

In the situation of the former I think applying some common sense would have been massively helpful. Everybody including the government suggested track and trace was to be crucial, but it was a fucking shambles. So ignoring how they could trace people, they weren't even finding them in the 1st place. So if you take pub type settings, they initially opened them and made it so the onus was on the customer to register their presence there and one person was enough for the whole group. Except just about nobody was registering because pubs weren't pushing it and basically it was easier not to. They didn't have a clue who'd been near people who were testing positive. However, we've got this app now for contact tracing, which admittedly is a bag of shit. But was it really implausible for phase 1 to be it had the goverment qr reader and they tracked every individual into each location and only open the pubs once that's available? And really, could that not have been ready for July 4? Instead we basically let everyone pretty much do what the fuck they wanted and spent the whole of August using government money to get us down to wetherspoons for tea, but the government had no ability to trace people there should there be a positive test. So I could keep going on, but I think there was loads of control we could have done. Again when the kids went back to school, I'm pretty sure we could have done something better than basically running schools exactly as they were except for break times. 

As for how do we deal with it now? Honestly I don't know because they've fucked it up so badly. I actually wouldn't be against calling for a 2 week half term now for schools. Lock us all back down again for 2 weeks and break the cycle - of course providing when we come out it is managed with common sense and intelligence. 

What I feel pretty sure about is emptying the streets bang on 10 in city centres is a recipe for disaster and I've no idea what it's supposed to be achieving, it just feels like lip service to me because they want us all to catch it, but if it goes to shit it's because we're all naughty boys and girls. It's all well and good people saying "it's that last hour when you get drunk", well those people have clearly never been to city and town centres up and down this country where people are on it all afternoon and are smashed way before 10. 

I don't know how the government are making their decisions. It just seems to me they are  applying nothing to the thought process about unintended consequences to their actions.  If we're going to face restrictions to our liberties, lets make sure we get the maximum return on the sacrifices people have to make. 

I have no argument with any of this, you're spot on.

They say they are following the science, but scientists have differing views on the way forward so they say what suits them best and if it goes tits up they have a scapegoat in the advice they took or they blame the people.

The two week lockdown makes the most sense to me.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Director of public health for Liverpool. 

The Echo Facebook page has just published this story. The comments on their post show just why we'll struggle to stop further spreading of the virus. They're a mixture of delusional conspiracy theory, selfishness and stupidity. 

The government have handled the whole thing badly. But, stupid bellends aren't helping either. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Echo Facebook page has just published this story. The comments on their post show just why we'll struggle to stop further spreading of the virus. They're a mixture of delusional conspiracy theory, selfishness and stupidity. 

The government have handled the whole thing badly. But, stupid bellends aren't helping either. 

It is beyond the pale some peoples attitudes to it all.

Just delivered a driving lesson to a lady who works as a medical advisor for Doctors, basically advising which drugs to prescribe for which conditions. Although she doesn't work with the drugs associated with contagious illness, she has links to people that do. She's said that the Govt have not sought any scientific advice at all since the lockdown eased and that they are absolutely making the decisions with no scientific backing whatsoever. The 10pm curfew has been introduced with no advice whatsoever from anywhere.

17 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Just delivered a driving lesson to a lady who works as a medical advisor for Doctors, basically advising which drugs to prescribe for which conditions. Although she doesn't work with the drugs associated with contagious illness, she has links to people that do. She's said that the Govt have not sought any scientific advice at all since the lockdown eased and that they are absolutely making the decisions with no scientific backing whatsoever. The 10pm curfew has been introduced with no advice whatsoever from anywhere.

Who would have thought. Clueless fucks the lot of them 

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

That’s why a common sense approach won’t work - there are far to many fucking idiots about.

And when the messages from the Government aren’t clear, these idiots can behave how they want & think they can get away with it.

Apparently only c.15% of people with symptoms are self isolating now. Idiots.

I don’t want the “health card approach” but I don’t see many other options to let careful people out & about.

IMO, masks, the app, self isolation etc should all be 100% mandatory and if people don’t comply, they should get heavier fines.

The government should have been planning all this from March but have instead pissed about, wasted 3 months of people lives through lockdown, 3 months of “common sense” and now up to another 6 months of something in between because they haven’t got a clue, all while hoping their vaccine works.

• Upvote 2