You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

My Mum is 78 and has a few conditions one of which requires steroids on a daily basis plus she had a bowel cancer diagnosis 18 months ago, they operated and removed a section of her bowel and reconnected and so far, so good but she's still classed as extremely vulnerable.

She's lucky really, because the same thing killed my Dad, but she's been trapped at home since March and she's lonely.

I worry about her because I think the same as you.

It's an awful situation to be in.

Has your mum checked with her oncologist that she is classed as critical? I went through the same about the same time (had my op in Easter 19) and came off chemo 12 months ago and I got notified I was on the critical list when this madness started. But I contacted my oncologist and he told me to ignore that notification as I was fine. I am much younger than your mum and obviously I dont know anything more than you've posted, but just sharing my experience which might be helpful. 

27 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Has your mum checked with her oncologist that she is classed as critical? I went through the same about the same time (had my op in Easter 19) and came off chemo 12 months ago and I got notified I was on the critical list when this madness started. But I contacted my oncologist and he told me to ignore that notification as I was fine. I am much younger than your mum and obviously I dont know anything more than you've posted, but just sharing my experience which might be helpful. 

Thanks for that.

She got the letter classing her as extremely vulnerable, but I don't think it was just about the cancer.

My Mum doesn't really divulge anything, but there are other conditions she has which put her at risk.

She's a bit of a nightmare sometimes and does daft things like cancel or postpone important appointments because in her words, "They're bloody useless".

They're not. They saved her life.

She's always been highly strung, but she's much, much worse since she lost my Dad and I know she blames Doctors for that.

She does have a point to a certain degree about that, but as I've told her countless times, you can't tar them all with the same brush.

I'm glad you're ok and thanks again.

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Thanks for that.

She got the letter classing her as extremely vulnerable, but I don't think it was just about the cancer.

My Mum doesn't really divulge anything, but there are other conditions she has which put her at risk.

She's a bit of a nightmare sometimes and does daft things like cancel or postpone important appointments because in her words, "They're bloody useless".

They're not. They saved her life.

She's always been highly strung, but she's much, much worse since she lost my Dad and I know she blames Doctors for that.

She does have a point to a certain degree about that, but as I've told her countless times, you can't tar them all with the same brush.

I'm glad you're ok and thanks again.

I think it could be the steroids. Both myself and my sister take methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis (albeit in much lower doses than a cancer patient would). She's also been on steroids for quite a while as her condition is more serious; she's a teacher, and was immediately put on the high risk list and told to self-isolate. I was only told to do so after I was prescribed steroids following a flare up close to when lockdown started, and was told it would need to be 8 weeks before I could do anything. I can vaguely remember some list where you got points for various conditions/ medications, and the steroids put me over the 'limit'.

Anyway, hope she stays well, along with the other elderly relatives mentioned.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

I think it could be the steroids. Both myself and my sister take methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis (albeit in much lower doses than a cancer patient would). She's also been on steroids for quite a while as her condition is more serious; she's a teacher, and was immediately put on the high risk list and told to self-isolate. I was only told to do so after I was prescribed steroids following a flare up close to when lockdown started, and was told it would need to be 8 weeks before I could do anything. I can vaguely remember some list where you got points for various conditions/ medications, and the steroids put me over the 'limit'.

Anyway, hope she stays well.

The steroids are for Polymyalgia rheumatica which causes her no end of problems with her mobility, sleeping etc, but there are other things.

You may well be right because she is on a lot of medication.

I know a couple of people who have rheumatoid and and I hope the steroids have helped you.

Thanks for your regards mate.

Much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

For you to continue to spend your money.

I can’t have my mates round to watch the game on Monday night but I can go the pub with them and watch it? 

Just nonsense. 

The whole Tory response has been a joke. They are genuinely pinning their hopes on a vaccine sooner rather than later because other than flimsy lockdowns, there is no Plan B. 

Granted, they’ll probably have a better idea on the timescales of a vaccine than the rest of us, but there is currently no thought to living around it. 

Stay at home and don’t get it. Help the economy & do. Bollocks. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Yep, but that was actually quite unfair of me.

Plan A was do nothing.

Plan B is vigorously do nothing.

To be fair, I WFH most of the time anyway so all it is continue to work from home for 5 days.

We don't have a local I want to go to. With a 5 year old, we don't go out for meals much.

But still, it's such a fucking ball ache. I need the Thanos Gauntlet and to blow up that wet market last summer & then just carry on as before.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Funny coz it's true.

Johnson carries on the finest traditions of the likes of the first world war. 

You can imagine him in Sharpe or something being in charge of Sharpe and his men, riding into battle backward on his horse then twatting his head on a branch, at which point Sharpe would take over, win the battle, but Johnson would get the credit and be promoted to the Earl of fuck.

10 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

A guy on the Twitter has just calculated that the total weight of all the COVID virus in the world is about 1kg.  Amazing. 

Puts it into perspective fuck all to worry about. Keith Richards would stick that up his nose on a Saturday night and still make a good album after coming out of intensive care.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Johnson carries on the finest traditions of the likes of the first world war. 

You can imagine him in Sharpe or something being in charge of Sharpe and his men, riding into battle backward on his horse then twatting his head on a branch, at which point Sharpe would take over, win the battle, but Johnson would get the credit and be promoted to the Earl of fuck.

As if Johnson would be anywhere near the front line. Heseltine had it right- "A man who waits to see which way the crowd is running and then dashes in front and says 'follow me'".

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Fucking hell, the size of those rooms too, it would literally be like being in prison.

Can't fathom why you wouldn't defer in these circumstances, no shagging, no drinking, zoom lectures which you can probably find on YouTube for cheaper than nine grand a year. These poor kids have been had.

• Upvote 1