You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Presumably at an absolute fraction of the cost they could have rapidly mobilised care support teams (thus helping reduce youth/sub-32 year old unemployment) with stringent & frequent covid testing to care for/monitor the physical & mental health of shielding “elderly” (whatever terms we want to give to the demographic for whom covid presents more than a 1% fatality risk). All others (I.e the 99% for whom there is no fatality risk; 95% for whom there is little “serious injury” risk) could have continue life with reasonable / sensible restrictions in place.

I still suspect that at some point they will need to renege on this 6 month plan when the realities come to the fore. Will be interesting to see what comes from Chancellor presentation today.

Besides the question of cost (and I don't think it would be a "fraction" to support at least 18% of the population, and why would we only protect the elderly at risk if we're so concerned about the effects of lockdown on the non-elderly?) there's also the question of what the Tories stand for, and it ain't protecting the vulnerable that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

This seems like a pretty pragmatic approach to me. What do other people think?

I always check the source of anything you post. As you didn't give it, I Googled the text for it. The second and third story rather contradict the content of this one. 

https://www.brusselstimes.com/brussels/132577/belgian-police-officer-jailed-for-racist-tirade-onboard-train/

As does this :

Belgian virologist Marc Van Ranst was surprised and disappointed after the National Security Council decided to relax several measures against the spread of the coronavirus, he said on Wednesday.

“When you see the figures, this is certainly not the time to relax. It does not take a great virologist to predict that the figures will increase further in the coming weeks,” Van Ranst told VRT.

Despite the strong increase in the number of coronavirus infections, the National Security Council announced a number of relaxations during its latest press conference.

Everyone will be able to have close contact with up to five people outside the family, face masks will no longer be compulsory everywhere from 1 October, and the mandatory quarantine period will be reduced to seven days.

“These measures are in stark contrast to reality,” said Van Ranst. “The aim of this advice was indeed to make things more flexible, but reality has caught up with us. When you look at the figures, this is not the time. We can expect big problems in the coming weeks if we do not do anything.”

Van Ranst also understands some of the relaxations, however. “It is indeed ridiculous that people have to wear masks everywhere, even in places where hardly anyone passes by,” he said.

He said that he also understands that keeping to a bubble of five people is difficult, especially for (large) families. “But I hope that everyone does not start seeing five people now, because it will become difficult.”

The Brussels Times

18 minutes ago, Moo said:

Besides the question of cost (and I don't think it would be a "fraction" to support at least 18% of the population, and why would we only protect the elderly at risk if we're so concerned about the effects of lockdown on the non-elderly?) there's also the question of what the Tories stand for, and it ain't protecting the vulnerable that's for sure.

First bolded part: You could quite literally double the UK annual pension payment and remain in sight of the furlough scheme.

Second bolded part: Don't understand what this means.

10 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I always check the source of anything you post. As you didn't give it, I Googled the text for it. The second and third story rather contradict the content of this one. 

I don't think they contradict it. Relaxing will mean more cases, I don't think anybody is denying that. The actions in place do flatten the curve though and the collateral damage on other aspects of health/society/economy are not as significant.

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I don't think they contradict it. Relaxing will mean more cases, I don't think anybody is denying that. The actions in place do flatten the curve though and the collateral damage on other aspects of health/society/economy are not as significant.

What about the current increase in cases, the r number being 1.34 and Belgium being code red? 

12 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

What about the current increase in cases, the r number being 1.34 and Belgium being code red? 

Well, as I said, cases would increase. I suppose not model is perfect, something like the Belgium Model, with local variables to contain outbreaks would be preferable to where we are. Which is basically nowhere.

How are people feeling about the prospect of another lockdown? The first was a pretty wild and unpleasant ride for me that, thankfully, isn't likely to be repeated this time, so I'm mostly apathetic about another one coming into force. Understand for some folks it must be a fairly unappealing notion, though.

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

How are people feeling about the prospect of another lockdown? The first was a pretty wild and unpleasant ride for me that, thankfully, isn't likely to be repeated this time, so I'm mostly apathetic about another one coming into force. Understand for some folks it must be a fairly unappealing notion, though.

I'm getting used to it but that doesn't mean it's not utter shite. As long as sport continues throughout any lockdown that will be a massive help, as it gives you something to watch, discuss and keep your mind off the shitstorm that we are in.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

The weather is worse, home life is worse, finances are worse and mental health is worse. Other than these minor issues, I’m good to go. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

How are people feeling about the prospect of another lockdown? The first was a pretty wild and unpleasant ride for me that, thankfully, isn't likely to be repeated this time, so I'm mostly apathetic about another one coming into force. Understand for some folks it must be a pretty unappealing, though.

I'm not that bothered personally but for the youngsters it's going to be a disaster both socially and economically. 

• Like 1

I'm gutted about it but if it has to be done then we have to cope. Society can recover but you can't come back from death. 

Last time was a lot different. It was new, it was a novelty, nobody knew if we were all seeing out our last few months on the planet, we had the sun coming out, people spent a lot of time getting pissed and making banana bread, zoom chats with mates, box-sets galore. 

Now we know the realities, the negative impacts, the dark nights and cold days..... its going to be fucking horrible. Check in on your loved ones every fucking day. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Mainly I'm hoping I can dig up the extra cash to move back west before it really bites, don't want to be stranded completely come Christmas. Will be WFH anyway so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Personally I’ll cope ok with it. More worried about my daughter but we’ll be alright. Be a lot easier to deal with if the footy is still on like. 

I don’t think there will be a second lockdown like last time anyway, they might bring in more restrictions but I’m sure schools and shops will stay open while pubs and restaurants might close or be takeaway only. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The weather is worse, home life is worse, finances are worse and mental health is worse. Other than these minor issues, I’m good to go. 

Fuck, that sounds pretty rough. Hope those things improve, or don't get any worse at least. May and June this year were unremittingly grim for me, but that was mostly down to a relationship exploding a few weeks into lockdown, and then not being able to take my mind off it with anything else.

I'm really worried about it, I finished Netflix last night, and am down to Supernatural on Amazon Prime.

The long nights are going to be really grim here- it goes dark by 3:45 in mid-Winter and the sun doesn't rise until well after 8 am, it's bad enough 'normally' without a feeling of being trapped.