You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I care. 

I actually agree with a lot of what you say but I do think we should have initially locked down much earlier and it should have been much stricter. 

I agree with the stricter bit. I am not convinced lockdowns do anything beneficial, and the science is far from certain. Social distancing, hand washing, limiting the people you come into close contact with, working from home. All those things are manageable and control the flow. Japan seem to have had very effective results doing this and now have high immunity. 

I just think we need to have a balance that lets us live as close to normally as possible, while still allowing people (especially those at most rick) to protect themselves.

We need clear communications based on scientific fact, and people need to be responsible for their own behaviour where at all possible.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spy Bee said:

I agree with the stricter bit. I am not convinced lockdowns do anything beneficial, and the science is far from certain. Social distancing, hand washing, limiting the people you come into close contact with, working from home. All those things are manageable and control the flow. Japan seem to have had very effective results doing this and now have high immunity. 

I just think we need to have a balance that lets us live as close to normally as possible, while still allowing people (especially those at most rick) to protect themselves.

We need clear communications based on scientific fact, and people need to be responsible for their own behaviour where at all possible.

We are a country of cunts. 

14 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

How does this app work. If you are in the Asda at the same time as someone who later has a positive test, does that mean you have to go and isolate for 14 days, or face a £10k fine?

No because it's not for enforcement, that shouldn't happen (specifically mentioned in the data declarations on the NHS website - give them a read). But you will be advised to isolate and given an avenue to book a test (ha) and get your result through the app.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Who cares? Just bizarre behaviour.

I think we have to be pragmatic in our approach. The collateral damage from only focusing on the dangers of Covid could be huge. The number of jobs that will be lost before Christmas the way things are going, is terrifying.

It is if you're young and poor. If however you have a large detached house with garden and plenty of assets you're likely to be unscathed.

Most jobs lost will be youngsters in the service sectors, so on top of the exam fiasco, brexit, covid, not seeing their friends, losing their social life it looks likely teenagers will lose their income as well and the virus doesn't really pose a risk towards them.

• Upvote 1

On 22/09/2020 at 18:30, Captain Turdseye said:

There’s no free bar or fit bridesmaids. Just my bird’s fat cunt of a mother who’ll probably cause a scene with someone after two glasses of wine. In fact there’s been some trouble recently with the children of the bride-to-be leaving a hastily written note and running away to their dad’s house, so it’s more of an inevitability. She’s already sharpening the knives for the two kids that are 12 and 14 but hasn’t had the opportunity to have a go at them yet. 

Long time readers of this forum will be familiar with the Jabba the Hutt lookalike, evil, fucking turbo-twat but you’re new and presumably unaware. 

Don't go, they'll all think you're a massive cunt and then never invite you to anything ever again.

There is no downside whatsoever. 

5 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

No, it was written in support of him. But that wasn't really the point. You're trying to paint opponents of draconianism as acting out of self-interest, it's only appropriate to point out that the people behind government policy stand to gain from it.

I’m not ‘trying’ to paint them as acting out of self-interest. I’m specifically saying the people who signed that letter are dodgy. It’s all there in black and white. Dealing in facts as you like to say. 

Vallance could be the most corrupt person on the planet for all I know but it’s got absolutely nothing to do with my point. And  to think you accused me of strawmanning the other day!

9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’m not ‘trying’ to paint them as acting out of self-interest. I’m specifically saying the people who signed that letter are dodgy. It’s all there in black and white. Dealing in facts as you like to say. 

Vallance could be the most corrupt person on the planet for all I know but it’s got absolutely nothing to do with my point. And  to think you accused me of strawmanning the other day!

Valance has shares in the company producing the vaccine, he stands to make a fortune if they are first to mass production.

I think this is 'happy' coincidence though.

49 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Have you gone from "the most at risk should be protected" to they should "protect themselves"?

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Valance has shares in the company producing the vaccine, he stands to make a fortune if they are first to mass production.

Well, he has already sold off £5 million worth of shares when he resigned as president of Glaxo to take up his current role. If he's playing a con, he's not doing it very well, especially as there's no guarantee that the GSK vaccine will come to fruition. He does need to sell off the remainder and appear squeaky clean though, there's enough conspiracy swirling about vaccines as it is. 

1 minute ago, Moo said:

Have you gone from "the most at risk should be protected" to they should "protect themselves"?

Where possible they should protect themselves. Where not possible, they should be protected. If you were of sound mind and in your seventies and had hypertension, I am sure you would like the option to make your own mind up?

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah I know, I read the article. Maybe he’s the Sepp Blatter of the scientific world but it has nothing to do with the point I made as he signed neither of the letters in question. 

As Mudface said, is he’s trying to play a con to make money then he’s doing it wrong by selling off most of his shares. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Lets hope it works for them. I think its reckless personally.

Who negged you 18 times? 

My membership has lapsed for now so it definitely wasn't me. Not this time. 

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Where possible they should protect themselves. Where not possible, they should be protected. If you were of sound mind and in your seventies and had hypertension, I am sure you would like the option to make your own mind up?

I'm not suggesting otherwise, but how can they protect themselves without support?  Therefore surely all at risk people who choose to protect/shield themselves need help to do this.  Is this what you mean by "allowing" them to protect themselves, by giving them the community and medical support to do so?

1 minute ago, Moo said:

I'm not suggesting otherwise, but how can they protect themselves without support?  Therefore surely all at risk people who choose to protect/shield themselves need help to do this.  Is this what you mean by "allowing" them to protect themselves, by giving them the community and medical support to do so?

Yep.

8 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah I know, I read the article. Maybe he’s the Sepp Blatter of the scientific world but it has nothing to do with the point I made as he signed neither of the letters in question. 

As Mudface said, is he’s trying to play a con to make money then he’s doing it wrong by selling off most of his shares. 

Oh, I agree, it just the Hail shitstirring as him and Whitty are now public enemy #1

Though it does show what a mucky, small world it is at the top, with one hand washing many others clean.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Yep.

And that's the ideal scenario isn't it?  But I feel you're underestimating the number of at risk people in this country and overestimating the government's ability and desire to pull something like that together. Do you know that over 65s alone make up 18% of the UK population?  And have you seen this government's track record?  They couldn't organise a piss up in a micro-brewery never mind something on this scale.  And they wouldn't want to as it would represent a wholesale shift in how we view and support the vulnerable in this country, they couldn't risk that, it's the antithesis of everything the Tories stand for and these Tories are a particular bad bunch.  The brains are not there for it, the will is not there for it, it would take a miracle for it to happen.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Oh, I agree, it just the Hail shitstirring as him and Whitty are now public enemy #1

Yep they are all over them. Not seen fuck all off them regarding the dodgy serco deals etc though. Selective tory racist cunts. 

19 minutes ago, Moo said:

Presumably at an absolute fraction of the cost they could have rapidly mobilised care support teams (thus helping reduce youth/sub-32 year old unemployment) with stringent & frequent covid testing to care for/monitor the physical & mental health of shielding “elderly”/vulnerable (whatever terms we want to give to the demographic for whom covid presents more than a 1% fatality risk). All others (I.e the 99% for whom there is no fatality risk; 95% for whom there is little “serious injury” risk) could have continued life with reasonable / sensible restrictions in place.

I still suspect that at some point they will need to renege on this 6 month plan when the realities come to the fore. Will be interesting to see what comes from Chancellor presentation today.