You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The precedent has now been set. We shall run and be legally coerced to bury ourselves at each occasion the virus (or presumably any future pandemic) rears its head. In some respects extending the furlough / debt burden is the worst move the country can make -- it allows the music of ignorance to play out a little longer before the dance screams to a halt. Short of a vaccine it just delays & deepens the eventual pain.

11 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

The precedent has now been set. We shall run and be legally coerced to bury ourselves at each occasion the virus (or presumably any future pandemic) rears its head. In some respects extending the furlough / debt burden is the worst move the country can make -- it allows the music of ignorance to play out a little longer before the dance screams to a halt. Short of a vaccine it just delays & deepens the eventual pain.

That's cheered me up

• Upvote 2

I'm sure I've read that study about strands of the virus getting more contagious but no more deadly about 15 times over the last six months. Why has she capped up MORE CONTAGIOUS? 

At the risk of sounding like a Trump supporter, I think there's quite a few academics who've spent a long time living hand to mouth lecturing and applying for grant money who are like pigs in shit at the moment. On telly, research money all over the shop, also getting given the chance to slag each other off publicly, which is what many of them love.

One of the defining slogans of this era when they look back will be: "The study, which is yet to be peer reviewed."

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm sure I've read that study about strands of the virus getting more contagious but no more deadly about 15 times over the last six months. Why has she capped up MORE CONTAGIOUS? 

At the risk of sounding like a Trump supporter, I think there's quite a few academics who've spent a long time living hand to mouth lecturing and applying for grant money who are like pigs in shit at the moment. On telly, research money all over the shop, also getting given the chance to slag each other off publicly, which is what many of them love.

One of the defining slogans of this era when they look back will be: "The study, which is yet to be peer reviewed."

Doubt she is skint to be fair, she’s married to an ex member of Congress who is minted. I’ve seen her quoted a lot through this. 

Grayson was ranked as the 11th-wealthiest member of Congress in 2010, based on financial disclosure forms with a net worth of $31.41 million, and a pending claim against the now-defunct Derivium Capital for at least $25 million, according to Roll Call.

46 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Exactly, the problem we have is academics and experts get more attention and grant money when they say something contrary to popular opinion.

Then that makes it easy for anyone, including governments to pick and choose what experts they want to believe. 

I feel like there's some proverb that sums it up, but i can't think what it could be. 

4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

The letter I posted before emphasised at the bottom that the experts who signed it had no conflicting interests in their suggestions for how we deal with it. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/23/revealed-sir-patrick-vallance-has-600000-shareholding-firm-contracted/

Revealed: Sir Patrick Vallance has £600,000 shareholding in firm contracted to develop vaccines

The UK’s chief scientific adviser has a £600,000 shareholding in a drugs giant contracted to develop a Covid-19 vaccine for the Government

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Did he sign the letter?

No, it was written in support of him. But that wasn't really the point. You're trying to paint opponents of draconianism as acting out of self-interest, it's only appropriate to point out that the people behind government policy stand to gain from it.

3 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

No, it was written in support of him. But that wasn't really the point. You're trying to paint opponents of draconianism as acting out of self-interest, it's only appropriate to point out that the people behind government policy stand to gain from it.

Very lame. 

Pret owner, Tim Martin, Alan Sugar..... 

https://covid19.nhs.uk

The new NHS COVID-19 app, now available to download for free in England and Wales, is the fastest way to see if you're at risk from coronavirus. The faster you know, the quicker you can alert and protect your loved ones and community.

The app has a number of tools to protect you, including contact tracing, local area alerts and venue check-in. It uses proven technology from Apple and Google, designed to protect every user’s privacy. Read more about how we protect your data and privacy.

Privacy and data security are crucial to the NHS and the government. Every day, people trust us with their personal data and we take this responsibility very seriously. It's at the heart of our relationship with the people we serve. Because of this, we've taken steps to make sure the NHS COVID-19 app protects your privacy and identity.

The NHS COVID-19 app protects your privacy and identity from other app users, and their privacy and identity from you. The app uses random IDs that cannot be used by the NHS or the government to identify who you are, or who you’ve spent time with.

The app cannot: 

• use your GPS location or track where you have been
  • be used to check or monitor if you’re self-isolating
  • be used by law enforcement to identify or track you
  • see personal information on your phone, such as your messages, address book or your phone contacts

This seems like a pretty pragmatic approach to me. What do other people think?

Belgium’s Security Council introduces long-term coronavirus strategy

Belgium has again adapted the measures in place to curb the spread of the coronavirus in the country, announced Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès during a press conference on Wednesday.

“We had already announced at the last press conference that we would be looking for a long-term strategy,” said Wilmès, adding that, in order to understand this crisis properly, it needs to be broken down into three phases.

During the first period, the emphasis was on containing the virus to ensure that healthcare was not overwhelmed, and during the second phase, a gradual phasing out of the measures started.

“That brings us to this third phase: risk management,” said Wilmès. “In this way, we are trying to return to a situation that is as normal as possible, in the long term, for which a system can be worked out together with the experts from Celeval.”

The 6 golden rules remain a key point, and Wilmès stressed the importance of sticking to them at all times.

Limiting social contacts will be done with a “modular approach,” meaning that the rules may change depending on the epidemiological situation.

Instead of the social bubble, there will be a “reference number” that will vary between 1 and 5, depending on the health situation. At the moment, experts recommend a maximum of 5 close contacts per person per month.

“The rule concerning social contacts is especially important. Close contact means being physically close to someone who does not live under the same roof, for more than 15 minutes, without keeping a distance and without a facemask,” she said.

Apart from those close contacts, people can see as many people as they want, as long as they keep their distance and respect the hygiene rules. However, meeting more than ten people at a time is still not allowed.

From 1 October, face masks will only be mandatory in crowded places, as well as on public transport and in cinemas, for example. “It is useless to make masks compulsory anytime, anywhere,” Wilmès said, calling on local authorities to comply with the change, and not keep the rule in unnecessary places.

For gatherings, a difference is made between private and professional gatherings. For private gatherings, the maximum number of guests remains at 10. “This also applies to gatherings in the streets.”

Professionally organised events will follow the same rules as the hospitality industry. There will be no limit on the maximum number of guests allowed, as it will depend on the capacity of the place. The protocols must still be followed, and dance parties are still not allowed.

For events with an audience, however, the limit remains on 200 people for indoor events, and 400 for outdoor ones.

The authorities are working on an “epidemic barometer” at a national, provincial and regional level, to make sure that everyone understands the course of the epidemic better. The levels will be determined mainly – but not exclusively – by the number of people admitted to hospital.

The mandatory quarantine period will be reduced from 14 days to one week. People who show Covid-19 symptoms still have to contact their doctor. On day 5 of the quarantine, a new test can be taken. If negative, people may leave quarantine after the week is up. If positive, the quarantine will be extended to the full 2 weeks.

People returning from orange travel zones will no longer be tested. People returning from a red zone will have to go in quarantine on the first day of their return, and be tested on day 5.

The Coronalert smartphone app will be launched on 30 September, when more information on the subject will be given.

“Do not fall into the trap of nonchalance. We have to find a way to make the six golden rules our own rules. Tackling the epidemic also depends on our behaviour. We are all part of the solution,” said Wilmès. “As always, take care of yourself, and take care of each other.”

PS. To the person who felt the need to neg me 18 times last night, I hope it made you feel better. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This seems like a pretty pragmatic approach to me. What do other people think?

Belgium’s Security Council introduces long-term coronavirus strategy

Belgium has again adapted the measures in place to curb the spread of the coronavirus in the country, announced Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès during a press conference on Wednesday.

“We had already announced at the last press conference that we would be looking for a long-term strategy,” said Wilmès, adding that, in order to understand this crisis properly, it needs to be broken down into three phases.

During the first period, the emphasis was on containing the virus to ensure that healthcare was not overwhelmed, and during the second phase, a gradual phasing out of the measures started.

“That brings us to this third phase: risk management,” said Wilmès. “In this way, we are trying to return to a situation that is as normal as possible, in the long term, for which a system can be worked out together with the experts from Celeval.”

The 6 golden rules remain a key point, and Wilmès stressed the importance of sticking to them at all times.

Limiting social contacts will be done with a “modular approach,” meaning that the rules may change depending on the epidemiological situation.

Instead of the social bubble, there will be a “reference number” that will vary between 1 and 5, depending on the health situation. At the moment, experts recommend a maximum of 5 close contacts per person per month.

“The rule concerning social contacts is especially important. Close contact means being physically close to someone who does not live under the same roof, for more than 15 minutes, without keeping a distance and without a facemask,” she said.

Apart from those close contacts, people can see as many people as they want, as long as they keep their distance and respect the hygiene rules. However, meeting more than ten people at a time is still not allowed.

From 1 October, face masks will only be mandatory in crowded places, as well as on public transport and in cinemas, for example. “It is useless to make masks compulsory anytime, anywhere,” Wilmès said, calling on local authorities to comply with the change, and not keep the rule in unnecessary places.

For gatherings, a difference is made between private and professional gatherings. For private gatherings, the maximum number of guests remains at 10. “This also applies to gatherings in the streets.”

Professionally organised events will follow the same rules as the hospitality industry. There will be no limit on the maximum number of guests allowed, as it will depend on the capacity of the place. The protocols must still be followed, and dance parties are still not allowed.

For events with an audience, however, the limit remains on 200 people for indoor events, and 400 for outdoor ones.

The authorities are working on an “epidemic barometer” at a national, provincial and regional level, to make sure that everyone understands the course of the epidemic better. The levels will be determined mainly – but not exclusively – by the number of people admitted to hospital.

The mandatory quarantine period will be reduced from 14 days to one week. People who show Covid-19 symptoms still have to contact their doctor. On day 5 of the quarantine, a new test can be taken. If negative, people may leave quarantine after the week is up. If positive, the quarantine will be extended to the full 2 weeks.

People returning from orange travel zones will no longer be tested. People returning from a red zone will have to go in quarantine on the first day of their return, and be tested on day 5.

The Coronalert smartphone app will be launched on 30 September, when more information on the subject will be given.

“Do not fall into the trap of nonchalance. We have to find a way to make the six golden rules our own rules. Tackling the epidemic also depends on our behaviour. We are all part of the solution,” said Wilmès. “As always, take care of yourself, and take care of each other.”

PS. To the person who felt the need to neg me 18 times last night, I hope it made you feel better. 

Lets hope it works for them. I think its reckless personally.

Who negged you 18 times? 

NHSx now fully launched their app. Uses Bluetooth to identify nearby app-users, which is neat way to sidestep concerns about GPS tracking, but might make it a bit of a battery killer over extended periods. 

Downloaded it and will just turn it on when I go into higher risk situations. Not sure how viable it is for people not working from home who might need it all day.

Published to the app store by the Govt rather than NHS Digital though, which I feel is a mistake.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

NHSx now fully launched their app. Uses Bluetooth to identify nearby app-users, which is neat way to sidestep concerns about GPS tracking, but might make it a bit of a battery killer over extended periods. 

Downloaded it and will just turn it on when I go into higher risk situations. Not sure how viable it is for people not working from home who might need it all day.

Isn't part of the reason the moved away from their original app that is was a battery killer and the Google and apple tools are going to be much more efficiency? I'm going to download it now and I'm out and about today, so I'll see how it goes. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Who negged you 18 times? 

Who cares? Just bizarre behaviour.

I think we have to be pragmatic in our approach. The collateral damage from only focusing on the dangers of Covid could be huge. The number of jobs that will be lost before Christmas the way things are going, is terrifying.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Published to the app store by the Govt rather than NHS Digital though, which I feel is a mistake.

How does this app work. If you are in the Asda at the same time as someone who later has a positive test, does that mean you have to go and isolate for 14 days, or face a £10k fine?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Who cares? Just bizarre behaviour.

I think we have to be pragmatic in our approach. The collateral damage from only focusing on the dangers of Covid could be huge. The number of jobs that will be lost before Christmas the way things are going, is terrifying.

I care. 

I actually agree with a lot of what you say but I do think we should have initially locked down much earlier and it should have been much stricter. 

EDIT: hahaha someone's wasted their daily quota on negging you. You have taken it better than SD would though.