You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Sweden's public health agency is discussing imposing new coronavirus restrictions on Stockholm after the city's health chief warned of "worrying signs of increasing infection".

It came shortly after Björn Eriksson, Stockholm's health chief, said the long decline in cases in the city had ended.

"The downwards trend is broken," he said. "We can only hope this is a blip, that the spread starts decreasing again." According to the Public Health Agency, 1200 new cases and five deaths have been reported since Friday, a sharp increase on the average of 200 cases a day in recent weeks.

Sweden, which chose to keep most schools, restaurants, bars, offices and shopping centres open throughout the pandemic, has suffered one of the highest death rates in Europe, at 580 per million - just behind the UK and Italy. Its rate is 10 times more than Norway and five times more than Denmark. More than 5850 people have died from COVID-19 in Sweden from nearly 90,000 cases.

The strategy emphasising personal responsibility rather than major lockdowns to slow the virus drew fierce criticism as deaths shot up during the northern spring, but has also been lauded by World Health Organisation officials as a sustainable model.

Cases appeared to be rising among people in their 40s and 50s, and secondary school students, according to the state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell. But in Stockholm, the spread was among a wider population, he added.  Tegnell said new measures for the capital could not be ruled out. "We have a discussion with Stockholm about whether we need to introduce measures to reduce the spread of infection. Exactly what that will be, we will come back to in the next few days," he said.

People in Stockholm will learn to love being locked down.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This cannot be beyond the whit of man. You may have to arrange more testing of care staff, ask for care staff to work on live in shift patterns for a period of time. Provide proper PPE for care staff. 

It isn't beyond the whit of man, but on the scale required (it's not just care homes by any means), it's simply impractical. 

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It isn't beyond the whit of man, but on the scale required (it's not just care homes by any means), it's simply impractical. 

Aas impractical s paying for everyone to have a few months off work?

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If some of you lot ran this country 

bring-out-your-dead-gif.gif

Mate, you need to try and think in a non-binary sense.

• Downvote 1

My brother was tested 3 times in Berlin and then had an antibody test, all said he didn't have Covid but pneumonia. His GP said that despite the results he definitely had it. My missus's cousin was found collapsed in her apartment last week, diagnosed with double pneumonia but not Covid. She is healthy, late 20s, brother is healthy early 40s. Either this thing has mutated into pneumonia or we still don't have a clue what's going on.

1 minute ago, No2 said:

My brother was tested 3 times in Berlin and then had an antibody test, all said he didn't have Covid but pneumonia. His GP said that despite the results he definitely had it. My missus's cousin was found collapsed in her apartment last week, diagnosed with double pneumonia but not Covid. She is healthy, late 20s, brother is healthy early 40s. Either this thing has mutated into pneumonia or we still don't have a clue what's going on.

Sounds dodgy that..

How old was he when he met her? 

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

Unusual, but not unheard of: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pneumonia/

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'd disagree. 

Sorry about all the typos. My wireless keyboard is behaving atrociously.

The UK is fucked so I really don’t see what the option is.
It’s pretty obvious now that the only real way to deal with it was an early hard lockdown followed by hard core track and trace to isolate subsequent flare ups quickly. 

The UK did none of those things and still has nothing prepared.

So lockdowns are only going to have a small effect and they’ll still be loads of virus knocking about. Might as well go for state mandated orgies and hope to fluke herd immunity.

It probably won’t work, but at least the old people will get to go out on a high.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It does seem strange that any plan would include taking away all of older folks personal rights so younger folks dont have their personal rights infringed on.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It does seem strange that any plan would include taking away all of older folks personal rights so younger folks dont have their personal rights infringed on.

Don't forget the high-risk category people as well regardless of age group. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Take away everybody's rights indefinitely, or take away some people's rights temporarily. Hmmm, now let me think.

Despite the Zoe App getting excited, triage numbers continue to fall

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think when this is over the young are once again going to be picking up the tab for the older generation.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Take away everybody's rights indefinitely, or take away some people's rights temporarily. Hmmm, now let me think.

Despite the Zoe App getting excited, triage numbers continue to fall

Jesus Spy Bee. Its a few restrictions while we try to get a hold of a virus. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

What rights of yours have been "taken" away indefinitely?

The right to mix with my family and friends. The right to walk in public places without wearing a mask. The right to be in a pub at 10.30. I'm sure you're pretty familiar with the rules.

If we have no vaccine in 6 months, then what?

I don't know why you lot can't have a discussion without absolutely polarising debate. Do any of us want to see old people locked up? No. Is there an argument that the best way forward would be to protect those that are the most vulnerable while achieving herd immunity? Yes. 

You don't need to be Harold Shipman's biggest fan to think that this may be the best way forward.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Spy Bee said:

The right to mix with my family and friends. The right to walk in public places without wearing a mask. The right to be in a pub at 10.30. I'm sure you're pretty familiar with the rules.

If we have no vaccine in 6 months, then what?

I don't know why you lot can't have a discussion without absolutely polarising debate. Do any of us want to see old people locked up? No. Is there an argument that the best way forward would be to protect those that are the most vulnerable while achieving herd immunity? Yes. 

You don't need to be Harold Shipman's biggest fan to think that this may be the best way forward.

You aren't half a hypocrite. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You aren't half a hypocrite. 

You really need to take a look in the mirror, yourself pal. You accuse people of being a liar, while completely misrepresenting everything that someone who has a different viewpoint from you says. You're the absolute definition of strawman. I can't actually remember the last time you brought anything to the debate; an interesting article, a new piece of information, an original thought?

All you do is try and shout people down.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1