You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

39 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Lets keep sight of the fact that so far in the UK the mortality rate has been 10% and so far only it is estimated only about 15% of the population have caught the disease. These are the unarguable facts. There are 5.4 million people > 75 in the UK so in a worse case there may be 100,000s of deaths. Everything the Government is doing has to be seen in this context. 

A cynic might think that the callous bastards are using Covid to lower the welfare bill.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54257868 if you can watch the video here from 00:54 to 01:30 and not find it extremely worrying, then you will have slept better than me last night!

Johnson is lauding ten million tests per day more than a vaccine. So we will be "able to do more of the things we like to do". 

So in 2020, we need a mask to access shops etc

In 2021, I presume we'll need a negative test, which will be receipted in some way on a digital device.

In 2022, the digital device becomes the norm and you can't do anything without it.

That's a terrifying future. 

This is disaster opportunism from the Tory's. They are making a power grab, much like the ones they do after terrorist events. I saw people say this weeks ago and dismissed it as tin foil hat stuff, but you can see the machinations of this process happening now.

Chilling isn't it. Its a form of conditioning over time. You get to a point where you feel grateful to just be able to take a walk in the local park.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

A cynic might think that the callous bastards are using Covid to lower the welfare bill.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-parliament-2015/social-change/ageing-population/

Around 55% of welfare spending (£114bn in 2014/15) is currently paid to pensioners, with the state pension by far the largest element of this. This expenditure is forecast to increase by an average of £2.8 billion a year over the next five years, resulting in spending of £128 billion by 2019/20.

Growing numbers of elderly people will also have an impact on the NHS and social care expenditure. The prevalence of long-term health conditions increases with age; and according to a 2010 estimate made by the Department of Health, such conditions account for 70% of total health and social care spending in England.

The Department of Health also estimates that the average cost of providing hospital and community health services for a person aged 85 years or more is around three times greater than for a person aged 65 to 74 years.

Further fiscal pressure is also likely to result from a decline in the working population relative to the number of pensioners (the 'dependency ratio'). A lower proportion of people in work means lower tax revenues and, in all likelihood, higher public expenditure.

The Office for Budget Responsibility points out that without offsetting tax rises or spending cuts, the ageing population will cause a widening of budget deficits over time, eventually putting public sector debt on an unsustainable upward trajectory.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Chilling isn't it. Its a form of conditioning over time. You get to a point where you feel grateful to just be able to take a walk in the local park.

We've never not been able to do that. We've still been able to go shopping. People have still been working and those that haven't been able to do so have been furloughed. 

Pubs / Restaurants - You can drink and eat at home

Gym - Go for a run / workout at home

The main thing obviously is visiting loved ones but people prattling on like its some sort of Nazi style "stay in your house or you will be shot" regime are chatting absolute wham. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Lets keep sight of the fact that so far in the UK the mortality rate has been 10% and so far only it is estimated only about 15% of the population have caught the disease. These are the unarguable facts. There are 5.4 million people > 75 in the UK so in a worse case there may be 100,000s of deaths. Everything the Government is doing has to be seen in this context. 

The stats are all over the place though, because people are only guessing at how many people have had it. Saw a thing a while back saying around two or three MILLION people in New York City may have had it with no symptoms. 

The fatality rate of Covid appears to be between 0.6 and 1%. Bad enough, but when you put it into the context of shit like lockdowns, economic collapse, and even banter about fucking martial law - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You can't say this though as you get accused of hating old people. I like old people, especially the ones that wear gray Harrington jackets and play ukuleles. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The stats are all over the place though, because people are only guessing at how many people have had it. Saw a thing a while back saying around two or three MILLION people in New York City may have had it with no symptoms. 

The fatality rate of Covid appears to be between 0.6 and 1%. Bad enough, but when you put it into the context of shit like lockdowns, economic collapse, and even banter about fucking martial law - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You can't say this though as you get accused of hating old people. I like old people, especially the ones that wear gray Harrington jackets and play ukuleles. 

If we met in the middle of that stat you are still talking possibly 6.2 million odd people dying from it. I can't believe we are in 2020, we've put cunts on the moon yet we were so under-prepared for this despite warnings from history. 

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_Cards_Act_2006

They wanted National ID Cards before, but imagine the power and control they could have with digital passports. "If you do nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear" they would say, but absolute power corrupts absolutely and these mother fuckers have already shown how corrupt they are!

Look at how Assange is being treated now, because he dared to blow the whistle on governments. You could be censored and controlled in so many ways. I find it terrifying and we need to guard against it. 

I'd rather err on the side of caution, and I hope I turn out to be 100% wrong, but I don't trust this government or their financiers. 

I know, if Russian agents who’ve raped a couple of women can’t get a fair shake where does that leave you? 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If we met in the middle of that stat you are still talking possibly 6.2 million odd people dying from it. I can't believe we are in 2020, we've put cunts on the moon yet we were so under-prepared for this despite warnings from history. 

I know it's grim, in a population of billions though even a small percentage is going to be a lot of people, which is tragic, but it isn't zombie apocalypse. If it was Ebola or a super flu like in The Stand I'd get it, I'd be well down with the idea of getting holed up in a basement until a vaccine was rushed through, but it's not. It seems to be sweeping through the younger population and they're carrying on regardless and not being hospitalised (which is part of the problem, as they've passed it on to the older folks). 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Tests by specimen date...

Now granted there will be a slight lag in test results, but this would appear to be positive news at the moment. 

image.png

"Individuals tested positive more than once are only counted once" what what?! 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"Individuals tested positive more than once are only counted once" what what?! 

My take would be that those who have tested positive but are asymptomatic have retested and have had it confirmed. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So the rhetoric around people not being able to get it a second time after recovery is a load of bollocks then? 

Well, that's not what this is referring to. It's referring to someone having a positive test, then perhaps a few days later having another positive test.

There have been isolated cases of people being reinfected it seems. On these incidents, the people were asymptomatic, so it appears having been infected, your immuno-response is much stronger the second time. I don't think the cases have been validated yet though.

1 minute ago, Qwikage said:

My take would be that those who have tested positive but are asymptomatic have retested and have had it confirmed. 

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Well, that's not what this is referring to. It's referring to someone having a positive test, then perhaps a few days later having another positive test.

There have been isolated cases of people being reinfected it seems. On these incidents, the people were asymptomatic, so it appears having been infected, your immuno-response is much stronger the second time. I don't think the cases have been validated yet though.

Aah right ok thanks.