You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

23 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He has been all the way through. In PMQ's anyway. 

"I've tried to be constructive.

"I appreciate that these are unprecedented times and that governing is difficult

"I've tried to be fair, to give the government the benefit of the doubt.

"But now, with one of the highest death rates in the world, and on the threshold of one of the deepest recessions anywhere, I'm afraid here is no doubt. This government's incompetence is holding Britain back"

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm suggesting that there is a certain percentage of every population which is extremely susceptible to the virus. Until the virus has run through the population, or a suitable vaccine has been found, then these people are still at risk. New Zealand is has had very low prevalence of the virus, but they are now in their worst ever recession, and look like they will need to keep their borders closed indefinitely, unless we find a vaccine, which is a hell of a risk to take.

Sweden's economy will be much stronger over the long term, as their lives are to a large extent back to normal.

You seemed only focused on the economy. It's about a balancing act. Can we keep this suppressed for long enough so we have treatments or vaccines that stop people dying in large numbers. 

• Upvote 1

I just now sat through a short local outbreak board meeting where the office of the Director of Public Health was quite relaxed about the situation nationally and said there was no need to panic at all in her opinion. 

She emphasised that the testing data now is unparalleled compared with the first outbreak where the general public weren't tested, whereas now they are, at high rates.  As such it's like an early-warning system for real problems and the local lock-downs are used to bring those community outbreaks back down, as was intended.

She did urge everyone to stay off work or school with any illness, Covid or not.  I'm up for that. 

Test and trace app launching this Friday.  Basically QR codes in all shops/etc.  Not sure if it's mandatory, and some businesses may not take part.  My advice to you is to not give your trade to businesses who don't take part.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You seemed only focused on the economy. It's about a balancing act. Can we keep this suppressed for long enough so we have treatments or vaccines that stop people dying in large numbers. 

No, we can't. Loads of people are being made redundant by the day. People who are still scared to attend hospital are dying daily, mental and physical health is suffering daily. It's a complete shitshow, because we have tunnel vision and are focussing only on Covid.

I'm definitely not only focussed on the economy, but there is a huge correlation between a good economy and a healthy populus. 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Any Irish invasion would be disrupted by the BBC dubbing over your commanders' instructions 80s Adams style. 

I'm all for Stephen Rae getting some acting jobs again.  We can invade, and boost Irish Arts employment figures at the same time!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

No, we can't. Loads of people are being made redundant by the day. People who are still scared to attend hospital are dying daily, mental and physical health is suffering daily. It's a complete shitshow, because we have tunnel vision and are focussing only on Covid.

I'm definitely not only focussed on the economy, but there is a huge correlation between a good economy and a healthy populus. 

This is the problem now, and it's not a criticism of anyone on here, just generally, in that our politics and societies are so divided that everything has to be framed in a way so as to attack the other side.

If you state that you're concerned about the damage to the economy it becomes a case in some quarters of 'you don't care about old people dying'. 

The whole thing is a balancing act and we don't have one, it's series of lurches designed to evade responsibility and criticism in a world where criticism comes at the drop of a hat. 

There must, must be a grown up way we can live with this virus without the lunacy of having to lock everyone in their houses.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This is the problem now, and it's not a criticism of anyone on here, just generally, in that our politics and societies are so divided that everything has to be framed in a way so as to attack the other side.

It's a fair point. I was listening to some English guy on Joe Rogan earlier. He said that everybody now must see everything through the prism they see everything else. 

I'm normally in the crowd here, because my views are pretty left wing, but this has now been politicised, whereby if you don't advocate minimising risk to all of catching Covid, then you are some kind of human hating Tory.

• Upvote 1

How long before the government backtracks on its statement that it's fine for grandparents to look after their grandchildren, even though if they're grandparents and especially male they are already at a greater risk. 

Did the government not pay any attention to what the Doom Ronnies said yesterday?

"I've heard the concerns about the impact of local action on childcare arrangements," he said.

"For many, informal childcare arrangements are a lifeline without which they couldn't do their jobs.

"Today I'm able to announce a new exemption for looking after children under the age of 14, or vulnerable adults, where that is necessary for caring purposes.

"This covers both formal and informal arrangements.

"It does not allow for play dates or parties, but it does mean that a consistent childcare relationship that is vital for somebody to get to work is allowed."

Mr Hancock added he hoped the change would provide "clarity and comfort to many people who are living with these local restrictions".

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If you state that you're concerned about the damage to the economy it becomes a case in some quarters of 'you don't care about old people dying'. 

The whole thing is a balancing act and we don't have one, it's series of lurches designed to evade responsibility and criticism in a world where criticism comes at the drop of a hat. 

There must, must be a grown up way we can live with this virus without the lunacy of having to lock everyone in their houses.  

Testing, tracking and tracing is at the heart of being able to avoid that lunacy and we have been failed massively in that.

So the blunt sledgehammer approach of lockinh people in their houses becomes the only answer they can think of.

2 minutes ago, Чемпионы said:

How long before the government backtracks on is' statement that it's fine for grandparents to look after their grandchildren, even though if they're grandparents and especially male they are already at a greater risk. 

Did the government not pay any attention to what the Doom Ronnies said yesterday?

Wasn't that bit put in to cover the Dominic Cummings types ?

45 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Test and trace app launching this Friday.  Basically QR codes in all shops/etc.  Not sure if it's mandatory, and some businesses may not take part.  My advice to you is to not give your trade to businesses who don't take part.  

Completely agree. I think it should be mandatory and certain places, you should have to show a the app and a clean  bill of health + a temperature check + a mask to be able to enter.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Completely agree. I think it should be mandatory and certain places, you should have to show a the app and a clean  bill of health + a temperature check + a mask to be able to enter.

Make it an achievement badge the young can share on social media and it will take off. 

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Masks should be mandatory in all shops / public transport for sure. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Masks should be mandatory in all shops / public transport for sure. 

Too many weak arses crying about how they cannot breathe in them, and I include my youngest in that. I am assuming you (as I did) spent a very long time running about in gasperators filling up with sweat, never hhh...hhhh..harmed me. 

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The temperature checks don't work, you know? They take the temperate of your body at that time.  So if you've just been running, or if you've had an ice pack on your forehead, the result is useless. The only external place you can get an accurate core body temperature check from is the corner of the eye.

I don't want to live in the card carrying place that you envisage the future to be.

11 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

In January to August 2020, COVID-19 was the underlying cause of death in 12.5% of all deaths that occurred in England (45,797 deaths) and 9.8% of all deaths in Wales (2,302 deaths).

But just 1% more recently:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending11september2020

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The temperature checks don't work, you know? They take the temperate of your body at that time.  So if you've just been running, or if you've had an ice pack on your forehead, the result is useless. The only external place you can get an accurate core body temperature check from is the corner of the eye.

I don't want to live in the card carrying place that you envisage the future to be.

If temperature checks don't work, why are places doing them? Or is that sarcasm? Not really posted in here in a bit.

I don't want to live it that future either but I also don't to have to endure more months like the last 6 until everybody is vaccinated. It should only be a short-ish term solution (6-9 months) and allows more day to day normality.   

6 minutes ago, Чемпионы said:

Too many weak arses crying about how they cannot breathe in them, and I include my youngest in that. I am assuming you (as I did) spent a very long time running about in gasperators filling up with sweat, never hhh...hhhh..harmed me. 

It seriously winds me up the people complaining about it. Its not the most comfortable thing in the world but fucking hell its hardly a face clamp. Selfish cunts anyone who refuses to wear one.