You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well we're back to the "there's not 500k dead, so it can't be all bad" argument. Forgetting what we've had to do to keep deaths this low. 

What do you mean "thus far", are you suggesting that because the other scandi countries have dealt with this better for now, the likelihood is we should follow the path of the country that has done worse as they're about to come back from 5-0 down to win 5-6? The evidence we have is Sweden is killing more people and in doing so didn't really help their economy. I don't see what point you're trying to make? 

I'm suggesting that there is a certain percentage of every population which is extremely susceptible to the virus. Until the virus has run through the population, or a suitable vaccine has been found, then these people are still at risk. New Zealand is has had very low prevalence of the virus, but they are now in their worst ever recession, and look like they will need to keep their borders closed indefinitely, unless we find a vaccine, which is a hell of a risk to take.

Sweden's economy will be much stronger over the long term, as their lives are to a large extent back to normal.

15 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

And the crap you’ve been posting for months is?

It wasn’t so long ago, that having chosen to go to Spain on holiday, you were moaning about having to self-isolate for two weeks!

Chris Whitty said “This is not someone else’s problem. This is all of our problem.” 

“You cannot in an epidemic just take your own risk, unfortunately you are taking a risk on behalf of everybody else, it’s important we see this as something we do collectively.”

Whitty is spot on. However, it seems to me, you are just looking for anything to justify you doing as you please, while advocating the vulnerable stay home and shield indefinitely. I’m all right, Jack behaviour.

That is not the only option though is it. You can contain and protect the vulnerable and allow everybody else their liberty, which in the long run will also protect the vulnerable.

16 hours ago, Pidge said:

Have Spain and France been reintroducing any measures to curtail growth by any chance?

Utter fucking shock that yes, they have. Probably the most significant of which was an increase in messaging about the risks involved...

So why mention the two worst performing countries in mainland Europe, and then give an illustration of something so much worse? It's not like we are doing nothing to combat the spread in this country.

Open the pubs, close the pubs, get back to work, stay at home. This government's handling of this situation has been absolutely atrocious. It's frantic, knee-jerk, populist, reactionary shite!

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

So why mention the two worst performing countries in mainland Europe, and then give an illustration of something so much worse? It's not like we are doing nothing to combat the spread in this country.

Open the pubs, close the pubs, get back to work, stay at home. This government's handling of this situation has been absolutely atrocious. It's frantic, knee-jerk, populist, reactionary shite!

Its no coincidence that this second spike comes just after the kids have gone back to school and Sunaks "eat out help out". That eat Out campaign was spun by Cummings because they can pass the buck. 

Someone above said the PM is going to give us a bollocking today? He isn't giving me one the fat fucking cunt. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I genuinely think there's a touch of Cummings in there. They don't think the public can make grown up decisions so everything is sledgehammer in nature. They terrify you into staying in, then they bribe you to go out, then they terrify you into staying in.

Simple messaging, distraction messaging, 'rule of six', 'moonshot', 'get Brexit done'. 

This is another symptom of the general contempt they have for the country and its people.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its no coincidence that this second spike comes just after the kids have gone back to school and Sunaks "eat out help out". That eat Out campaign was spun by Cummings because they can pass the buck. 

Someone above said the PM is going to give us a bollocking today? He isn't giving me one the fat fucking cunt. 

Interesting to see where the spread seems to have been

18 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Because of the need to clearly message the risks and not underplay the need for action because otherwise people will ignore it.

Agree with your second para.

Is Covid really rising in Spain? A look at the data

In a press briefing today Professors Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance showed epidemic curves for Spain and France — demonstrating how cases numbers have been growing rapidly, possibly exponentially, since August. As is often done when using case numbers by publishing date, the raw numbers are smoothed with a seven-day moving average. Drawn this way, the data shows a continued upward trend.

But drawing the epidemic curve for Spain using cases by symptom onset produces a different result. We have put these two methods together on a single graph so that they can be compared:

The epidemic curve based on the symptom onset date does not show the same continued growth — it appears to show cases stalling in late August. As the majority of lag between the publishing date and symptom onset is between one day and two weeks (but in some cases longer) the most current data for the blue line will be revised upwards.

We repeated this exercise for England’s data:

We have previously shown that (accounting for a potential two week lag in reporting) as of 3 September, case numbers based on positive PCR tests appear to be flat in Spain. It depends, however, on which method of analysis you choose.

We believe that the date of onset of symptoms is crucial to interpret the data. In most cases, the shedding of infectious virus is all but over after 7 to 10 days from infection and 5 to 7 days from onset of symptoms. In the most vulnerable, shedding goes on for a lot longer — sometimes weeks. In addition, we have reported that Spain has three definitions of Covid, one of which does not involve laboratory confirmation.

It’s unclear which definitions are being used in the government’s brief — and how comparable the Spanish figures are with the definitions used across the UK.

While the interpretation of recent case numbers in the UK is potentially complicated by well-documented problems with testing, we are able to replicate a similar pattern in cases by date of report and by date of the specimen across the UK data. We will keep the data under review over the next few days and weeks to assess the changes in English data and observe whether cases are increasing or not.

Two people questioning the virus and calling for 'herd immunity' measures both travelled to Spain right after lockdown ended. 

Its almost like they are keener to justify their own actions rather than speak sense about a global pandemic that has almost wiped a million souls from the population. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Midday isn't it? 

In parliament, yes 12:30, but he’s fucked as they’ve leaked everything again and the Tories and Hoyle are furious, again.

He’s addressing the nation at 8pm. If he gets the wrong tone, like he has at every opportunity, I think a lot of the public will disregard what he says. There’s just no trust, quite rightly, as they’ve fucked up everything to greater or lesser degree and they’re not trusted, let alone have the moral authority to lecture the public.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

In parliament, yes 12:30, but he’s fucked as they’ve leaked everything again and the Tories and Hoyle are furious, again.

He’s addressing the nation at 8pm. If he gets the wrong tone, like he has at every opportunity, I think a lot of the public will disregard what he says. There’s just no trust, quite rightly, as they’ve fucked up everything to greater or l see degrees.

Yep. As has been said, once Cummings went on his travels in the middle of the lockdown when most were taking it serious then had the cheek to address the nation and basically take the piss out of us it was done. Any trust from the masses disappeared. If they had sacked the horrible cunt then maybe more people would have kept abiding by the rules/common sense/common decency. 

If he has any decency at all he will stare straight into the camera, apologise then pour cyanide down his throat like this bastard

CarefulAngelicAlbatross-size_restricted.

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

What, exactly, is the Sweden model and what data is there to support it, other than Sweden's own case figures? 

Slightly off topic but I worked with a half Swedish/Half Indian girl when I worked in London. I'm still friends with her on facey/instagram and she travelled back and spent lockdown over there. She was posting videos of them sat outside restaurants, no social distancing at all. The point I'm making though is that she is fucking sexy and could easily be a model. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Slightly off topic but I worked with a half Swedish/Half Indian girl when I worked in London. I'm still friends with her on facey/instagram and she travelled back and spent lockdown over there. She was posting videos of them sat outside restaurants, no social distancing at all. The point I'm making though is that she is fucking sexy and could easily be a model. 

Pics or GTFO. 

22 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Johnson is chairing a Cobra Meeting this morning to decide on the actions that he has already leaked to the press prior to the meeting.

What do you expect when the cabinet is made up of disgraced journalists and ‘fire place salesman of the year 2004’ and some other, utterly useless, wastes of skin and organs? 

Duplicity comes as second nature.

They’re burning all bridges internally by keeping doing this. Gove announced significant policy, which will affect millions,  on radio before it’s discussed in parliament, this will do nothing to dissuade the muttering of discontent that they’re running roughshod over convention and parliamentary procedure. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

What do you expect when the cabinet is made up of disgraced journalists and ‘fire place salesman of the year 2004’? 

Duplicity comes as second nature.

They’re burning all bridges internally by keeping doing this. Gove announced significant policy, which will affect millions,  on radio before it’s discussed in parliament, this will do nothing to dissuade the muttering of discontent that they’re running roughshod over convention and parliamentary procedure. 

We've never more desperately needed a coup.